How often do you hear this...

Syyle

• Members

You want me to turn it down?

No, I don't want you to turn it down! No, uh, we can't legally ask you to do that. We didn't say turn it down... I might say less volume.

Turn it down?

Less Volume. Just liked not as big and smaller.

Don't make everything less, I don't wanna generalize that way... just bro.

We don't want you to turn it down, we just want you to be healthy. Y'know, by not being as loud.

OK.

We would just like it if you go home and setup, and write down how loud you are, and subtract it by like, 20.

20?

And then be that loud.

I wish you would have told us about this "second amp" thing...

Because WE LOVE IT!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The answer is to get your own soundguy. FOH cannot be trusted. There are good ones but most of the time you're gonna end up with some guy that doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Get your own sound guy and you'll always have a great mix. Also if HE tells you to turn down you can trust it.

• Members
This is how we solve this problem:

"Don't mic the {censored}ing cabinets. Mic the drums and the voice. We'll take care of the guitars."

Problem solved. Plus in 99% of the places you're going to play, you don't need to be in the system.

Amps sound better than PA speakers. Use those.

:thu:

• Members

There are so many responses I want to put in this thread ......... but I will only post 3

1. DOLF IS CORRECT! If youre layin down a heapin helpin of stomp ass sweat rock and you cant feel the air coming from your cabinets , it aint loud enough

2. WWTND ? ( What would Ted Nugent Do) . If a soundman told him to turn down , he would crank his Fender Twins to 11 and let out a primal scream that would let that idiot know that {censored} isnt gonna fly tonight.

3. Half ass , {censored}tily trained soundmen are quickly ruining rock and roll. Thank god there are still bands out there willing to stand up for what rock and roll meant in the first place. Loud , obnoxious {censored} that your parents didnt want to listen to. I dont want to go see Motorhead and see a 1x12 combo sidefilled. I need stage volume with my rawk. That {censored}in soundman cant make the intermission music sound good and you think Im gonna let him shape my guitar tone ?? No {censored}in way.

Cover band is a totally different story though.

• Members

There are so many responses I want to put in this thread ......... but I will only post 3

1. DOLF IS CORRECT! If youre layin down a heapin helpin of stomp ass sweat rock and you cant feel the air coming from your cabinets , it aint loud enough

2. WWTND ? ( What would Ted Nugent Do) . If a soundman told him to turn down , he would crank his Fender Twins to 11 and let out a primal scream that would let that idiot know that {censored} isnt gonna fly tonight.

3. Half ass , {censored}tily trained soundmen are quickly ruining rock and roll. Thank god there are still bands out there willing to stand up for what rock and roll meant in the first place. Loud , obnoxious {censored} that your parents didnt want to listen to. I dont want to go see Motorhead and see a 1x12 combo sidefilled. I need stage volume with my rawk. That {censored}in soundman cant make the intermission music sound good and you think Im gonna let him shape my guitar tone ?? No {censored}in way.

What would Ted Nugent do? I love it

• Members

A good soundman knows where to put you. It's a mix of getting amps into the sweet spot, letting them breathe, whilst at the same time getting the FOH mix good but within the limits of what he's allowed.

There's a major EU directive in force in the UK and it's cripplingly lame. All gigs must be below a certain volume.

We saw Fear Factory in London a few months back; myself and my friends could happily talk to each other at normal volumes. In fact, some dude asked us to quiet down as he couldn't hear the band with us talking. It's {censored}ing {censored}e!

What in the bloody hell?!?

This makes me want to get wildly famous, tour the UK and give the finger to each venue that doesn't accept my balls out volume demands.

Or my balls, for that matter.

• Members

There it {censored}ing is. Too many pussies that tried to force their way in to rock and roll. Some people just don't {censored}in belong, and {censored} sound guys that want to get woman bitchy on bands for volume... mother{censored}er... THere are just too many goddamn pussies in rock and roll, period, these days.

Cruise in and out of the mall to dress the part, buy a $2k boutique 5 watter with power scaling to protect yer phaggoty ears, and get ready to tour your local {censored}ing church band. Then realize how awesome it is to get out of {censored}ty dive bars, no smoke, no drinking, no drugs, and then try to apply that same gatdamn church law to the local music scene. You know? In the name of cleaning it up, and protecting everyone from the harms of pure unadulterated rock and roll.

(RB side note) Yeah, because I threw up my first {censored}ing devil horns as a pre-teen to ask some big bad wannabe church rocker to protect me from myself.

Anyway, now that we've cleaned up the rock and roll scene, let's make sure every one gets a chance to be part of rock and roll. Expand the Affliction wear to K-Mart/Wal Mart, get 10 year olds in skinny jeans, and encourage everyone to be "different". We want to make this {censored} KID FRIENDLY!!!!

Somehow loser {censored} sound guys were excreted from this {censored}.

{censored} those little "jaded" bitches that complain about always having to hear live music. Does it suck that bad, that you have to hear a bunch of local bands? Maybe you got the job description confused with "Alter Boy" and you should get back to priest fondling.

From now on when I run in to bitchy sound guys, I'll remind them to get {censored}ed and if they don't like it, to find a new job. That reminds me, I'll start bringing the Jubilee, in case those little bastards really want to volume war with me. Who needs their {censored}ing PA? Not me and Bonham Jr, my drummer.

• Members

There it {censored}ing is. Too many pussies that tried to force their way in to rock and roll. Some people just don't {censored}in belong, and {censored} sound guys that want to get woman bitchy on bands for volume... mother{censored}er... THere are just too many goddamn pussies in rock and roll, period, these days.

Cruise in and out of the mall to dress the part, buy a $2k boutique 5 watter with power scaling to protect yer phaggoty ears, and get ready to tour your local {censored}ing church band. Then realize how awesome it is to get out of {censored}ty dive bars, no smoke, no drinking, no drugs, and then try to apply that same gatdamn church law to the local music scene. You know? In the name of cleaning it up, and protecting everyone from the harms of pure unadulterated rock and roll.

(RB side note) Yeah, because I threw up my first {censored}ing devil horns as a pre-teen to ask some big bad wannabe church rocker to protect me from myself.

Anyway, now that we've cleaned up the rock and roll scene, let's make sure every one gets a chance to be part of rock and roll. Expand the Affliction wear to K-Mart/Wal Mart, get 10 year olds in skinny jeans, and encourage everyone to be "different". We want to make this {censored} KID FRIENDLY!!!!

Somehow loser {censored} sound guys were excreted from this {censored}.

{censored} those little "jaded" bitches that complain about always having to hear live music. Does it suck that bad, that you have to hear a bunch of local bands? Maybe you got the job description confused with "Alter Boy" and you should get back to priest fondling.

From now on when I run in to bitchy sound guys, I'll remind them to get {censored}ed and if they don't like it, to find a new job. That reminds me, I'll start bringing the Jubilee, in case those little bastards really want to volume war with me. Who needs their {censored}ing PA? Not me and Bonham Jr, my drummer.

Seriously.

We. Need. To. Get. Beers.

/bromance

• Members

Put your amp on the side of the stage and turn it sideways so that it washes across the stage and does not point off of the stage towards the soundman. I used to do this when I played in original bands and the sound guys loved it and I could always hear my guitar.

Max

• Members

I quit playing guitar and just hook up an industrial blow horn and crank my Marshall Major all the way up. Who needs music when you can have pure volume?

You guys that still think playing music through your amps is cool are just pussies. :poke:

Max

• Members

What in the bloody hell?!?

This makes me want to get wildly famous, tour the UK and give the finger to each venue that doesn't accept my balls out volume demands.

Or my balls, for that matter.

You can give the finger as much as you like, the local government installed decibel meter cuts the power to the stage automatically.

• Members

I quit playing guitar and just hook up an industrial blow horn and crank my Marshall Major all the way up. Who needs music when you can have pure volume?

You guys that still think playing music through your amps is cool are just pussies. :poke:

Max

{censored} your blowhorn, my guitar is louder.

• Members

For most guys, they turn up only being 5' from the side or with their cab sound projected at their hips, not ears. Too many gigs I watched a crowd of people gtfo when the guitarist turns into "more me guy"
:facepalm:

Partial solution for "more me guy" is to get a 212 on top of your 412 or add a 1x12 just off to the side of where you play. If you roam the stage, get IEM's or something else.

IME guys that make sound guys night a living hell usually sound like {censored} as a group. Sometimes its just as intentional. Buy that guy a beer at soundcheck and he'll baby your candy ass !

I normally just try to get a good mix with the band on stage

bro.

• Members

Who here attends unprotected public arc welding seminars? That's right, none. Why? Because that {censored} {censored}s up your eyes.

Why, then, do people like to take huge divots out of their ear's frequency response? 'Cause it's all rebel and shizznit?

• Members

Who here attends unprotected public arc welding seminars? That's right, none. Why? Because that {censored} {censored}s up your eyes.

Why, then, do people like to take huge divots out of their ear's frequency response? 'Cause it's all rebel and shizznit?

For the same reason people do all kinds of other {censored} that is bad for them. They enjoy it.

• Members

You need to get the {censored} out of rock and roll.

Why do you feel the need to impose your safety bull{censored} on those of us that DO get it? {censored} your life, {censored}.

I suppose you're against smoking, drinking and drug use too?

• Members

You need to get the {censored} out of rock and roll.

Why do you feel the need to impose your safety bull{censored} on those of us that DO get it? {censored} your life, {censored}.

I suppose you're against smoking, drinking and drug use too?

...if it weren't for whiskey and cigarettes, I would just be another bedroom wanker.

• Members

go listen to your Cure record.

Archived