Sept 11, 2001, where were you?

charveldan

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was sitting at home watching the morning news. They were reporting a plane crash into the first tower. I went and woke up my wife who had family on the east coast. We watched the second plane hit live. At first we thought we were watching footage of the first plane crash until the anchor started losing it while trying to figure out how a second plane could crash right next to the other earlier crash.

We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV waiting to see what would happen next.

• Members

I was in the 5th grade, and was on break in between classes. A friend of mine had seen the attacks on TV in some teachers class...he told me new york city was being bombed by the chinese or something. I spent the rest of the day confused thinking he was joking. I went to a church service for youth after school later that night, and heard the adults that supervised the whole thing saying things like, "I hope we find who did this and bomb them back." etc, etc...

I had no idea what had really happened until i got home and my mom and dad started watching the news. I doubt we turned the TV off at all that week. They even talked about it on the radio night when i listened to it trying to go to sleep. I was scared {censored}less.

• Members

Class. It was the end of 2nd period when mr gibbons read us a note from the principal.

We all just felt something hit and thought something exploded in the chem lab.

So when we all heard we all assumed it was a single engine pos that accidentally hit the towers (ala cory lidle) so we laughed. Then the news kept pouring in and kids were being pulled out of school. Started to realize what really happened and others knew instantly they lost a loved one.

I remember thinking when I got home how beautiful of a day it was, marred now by the big black streak running through the sky.

I was one of the lucky few, I only knew of someone who lost a loved one.

The rest of my friends and family weren't so lucky.

(Granted, I know someone now who survived the attacks. He was a firefighter, took part in the clean-up effort and was thanked with 2 bouts of prostate cancer. And no that doesn't run in his family.)

I still get goosebumps when reading about the firemen and emts and policemen who gave everything up.

I know now that this is a very controversial issue (whether it was an inside job or not) but that not what this day is about to me. Its about knowing there are people who will give their lives for the good of others. That there is some good left in us.

/rant.

• Members
Class. It was the end of 2nd period when mr gibbons read us a note from the principal.

We all just felt something hit and thought something exploded in the chem lab.

So when we all heard we all assumed it was a single engine pos that accidentally hit the towers (ala cory lidle) so we laughed. Then the news kept pouring in and kids were being pulled out of school. Started to realize what really happened and others knew instantly they lost a loved one.

I remember thinking when I got home how beautiful of a day it was, marred now by the big black streak running through the sky.

I was one of the lucky few, I only knew of someone who lost a loved one.

The rest of my friends and family weren't so lucky.

(Granted, I know someone now who survived the attacks. He was a firefighter, took part in the clean-up effort and was thanked with 2 bouts of prostate cancer. And no that doesn't run in his family.)

I still get goosebumps when reading about the firemen and emts and policemen who gave everything up.

I know now that this is a very controversial issue (whether it was an inside job or not) but that not what this day is about to me. Its about knowing there are people who will give their lives for the good of others. That there is some good left in us.

/rant.

What school were you at to feel it? I'm curious, I'll google map it :D

• Members

I had just finished working out at the gym and was sitting in the lounge calling my wife (then gf), as I was supposed to give her a ride to the doctor afterward. She asked if I heard a plane hit the trade center. I was like whaaaaa? I thought she meant something like a cessna, a light air craft. I turned in my chair to look at the tv in the lounge just in time to see the image of the first plane disappearing into the tower. It sent a shiver down my spine that took years to shake. :cry:

• Members

I had just pulled a double shift and had gone to bed. My girlfriend woke me up, freaking out. I watched the news for the next 12 hours or so, paralyzed with shock. I also called everyone I knew in New York and Jersey to make sure that no one was in town that day.

I used to love to fly, but I couldn't bring myself to get on a plane again until this year.

Archived