EL34's enter the JCA100... Recordings

FastRedPonyCar

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
bump for this

my bad on the blurry pics. for some reason Vegas used thumbnails randomly on some of them rather than the actual real pics.
:o

that really does sound very nice. I like the bite and fullness.

did you roll back the gtr volume about mid ways? if so, I was disappointed it didn't clean up better.

• Members

I tried on my 100h and it didn't really work. It sounded bad and the tubes got ultra hot really fast. I took them out real quick.

Was it possible the bias was off? I know my factory tubes were at like 51 and I would venture to say that's much too much for an el34 in the JCA.

• Members
FRPC - do you have to do any mods for EL34s? Is it simply plug and play like the other tubes you've tossed in?

In the HDM, it's plug and play it seems. I've got a quartet of SED 34's coming from laura this week so when they get here, I'll try putting them in the standard model to see what happens.

It could very well be that the different transformer in the HDM is allowing the amp to operate differently. Doug said that the JCA100's will be getting this same OT during production at some point but it could also be something else going on in the amp.

My weber bias rite I think is broken or not working right or something because it was reading 0 mA :cry:

• Members

So . . . I have a quad of low hour 6550s pulled from a JCM800 that are just lying around. Can those be used on the JCA w/o modding it?

before friday I would have said yes but now, it's uncertain. I used the quartet of ruby 34's in the amp without any problems for hours on end for several weeks now but the =C='s just didn't like it so I'd say make sure you check that the bias is ok before using them.

FWIW, I didn't notice much, if any, tone or significant difference between the 6L6's and KT88's. I think it could very well be that the bias isn't in the proper range for KT88's.

I think that the ruby 6L6 GC's sound better than the ruby 88's to be totally honest but after comparing the two pairs in the TITAN, the 88's are clear winners but the titan can be biased for 34's, 6L6's or 88's/6550's.

Archived