EL34's enter the JCA100... Recordings

FastRedPonyCar

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I did find interesting though was that all 4 tubes are required to be in the amp for it to work. I was under the impression that you could just use 2 in the innermost sockets and run it in 50 watts (with the switch at 50 watt setting) but not so. So far, that's the single thing that's sort of crept up into the back of my head that if I have a power tube failure during a show or something, if I don't have a spare tube to use, the amp is rendered useless. I've had a tube go out in the nitro before and simply flipped the switch to 50 watts and pulled that tube and the other outer most tube and ran 2 tubes in the middle sockets and it got me through the show.

have you tried the 50w setting with only 2 tubes in the outer sockets? Maybe that's how the switch is wired up. An amp can use either the inner or the outer sockets to go on half power.

• Members

I just read the combo is different from the head? Why does the combo have more controls?

The 5212RC has more controls because it has separate EQs for the clean and crunch channels, and a reverb knob, which the heads don't have.. The 100H and 50H have a shared EQ..

• Members

hmmm I just tried a set of Mesa ELs on my JCA100H (not the DM model) and I didn't like the results, the amp became excessively bright, lost tightness on the low end and the distortion sounded too raw for my taste. Honestly, it sounded like the amp did not take them well (that was done without rewiring the sockets).

Also I only played it for a couple of minutes and the tubes got really hot really fast.

Maybe the DM sockets are wired so we can work with both tube types but on the regular one, I don't recommend doing it without actually modding the amp.

• Members

hmmm I just tried a set of Mesa ELs on my JCA100H (not the DM model) and I didn't like the results, the amp became excessively bright, lost tightness on the low end and the distortion sounded too raw for my taste. Honestly, it sounded like the amp did not take them well (that was done without rewiring the sockets).

Also I only played it for a couple of minutes and the tubes got really hot really fast.

Maybe the DM sockets are wired so we can work with both tube types but on the regular one, I don't recommend doing it without actually modding the amp.

The bias may need tweaking. I'd say a warmer bias would fix the brightness.

you may be right though.. the HDM could be totally different in these regards with the tubes/wiring/sockets.

• Members

Maybe a dumb question, but does the 20 watter sound anything like that?

In person, I hope so. I've only played the 20 watter in person and i liked it. Havent played the 100 watter in person. IIRC, check out forumite The Eternal's JCA20h clips. the tones he gets are some of the best i've heard anywhere.

• Members

Holy {censored}, FRPC!

That sounded epic as hell. The 34's are definitely an improvement. The amp seems to have more presence, bite and clarity but not harshness.

EDIT:

Seriously, man. You know how to make an amp sound good. I am more than impressed.

Archived