12ax7 vs 12AT7 vs 7025 etc.

mrbrown49

• Members

Can anyone tell me what difference substituting a 12AX7 with a 12AT7 makes? We just got a semibroken Fender Showman with the 12AT7 inverter tube (the one that splits the signal for push-pull use) replaced with a 12AX7. Seems to work but distorts a bit early, which would go with the increased gain on a 12AX7. Has anyone tried both?

• Members

Originally posted by synthetronic

Can anyone tell me what difference substituting a 12AX7 with a 12AT7 makes? We just got a semibroken Fender Showman with the 12AT7 inverter tube (the one that splits the signal for push-pull use) replaced with a 12AX7. Seems to work but distorts a bit early, which would go with the increased gain on a 12AX7. Has anyone tried both?

I have only tried both in the first preamp slot of my ampeg superocket. The 12AT7 was a bit smoother, cleaner, and sweeter sounding. I loved that sound but I couldn't push the amp as hard for OD. The 12AX7 had a more bite and grit with a punchier overdrive. The tonal characteristics were a bit different too but not sure if that is a direct result of the tubes or the tubes interaction with the other circuitry.

How does it sound with the 12AX7 in the inverter slot? Is it beneficial to you have it break up early. I read alot on here about people really having push their fenders to get them to breakup.

• Members

Originally posted by mrbrown49

I have only tried both in the first preamp slot of my ampeg superocket. The 12AT7 was a bit smoother, cleaner, and sweeter sounding. I loved that sound but I couldn't push the amp as hard for OD. The 12AX7 had a more bite and grit with a punchier overdrive. The tonal characteristics were a bit different too but not sure if that is a direct result of the tubes or the tubes interaction with the other circuitry.

How does it sound with the 12AX7 in the inverter slot? Is it beneficial to you have it break up early. I read alot on here about people really having push their fenders to get them to breakup.

Thanks, that's really useful to know. Essentially the sound was breaking up at lower volumes than we were expecting, and looking at the spec made me think it could be the 12AX7 doing that; your experience would seem to confirm this suspicion. The amp also seemed a little quieter than we expected though this looks to be down to an intermittent short to ground in the choke (at least, I assume that's what it is--the fault makes the power lamp flicker, but only with the standby switch closed--and furthermore, the choke (we think) makes noises like a kettle boiling--so probably something in there is drawing a lot of current).

It might be that we want to keep it that way (distorted, not shorted) but it depends how we use it. Currently we're planning to build a cabinet for a 15" JBL driver using JBL specs and run the Fender through that--we think it might make a sweet bass amp to replace my current Gallien-Krueger, in which case the clean headroom would probably be a good idea. Currently it sounds a little crunchy when played with a bass.

• Moderators
Originally posted by mrbrown49

I play out of an ampeg superocket 100 watt combo. I am interested in swapping preamp tubes to try and get a sweeter sound with a litte more sparkle. Right now it is stock with 12ax7 pres and 6L6 power tubes.

Suggestions?

Preamp tubes aren't expensive. I suggest you buy several, and try them out. See which ones you like in your amp.

• Members

Originally posted by synthetronic

Some people use 12AX7s in the phase splitter position like you mention, but sometimes the little bit of distortion it adds there is not really all that pleasant. A 12AT7 has less gain and will preserve the signal (distorted or otherwise) from the preamp, allowing it to be mangled instead by the power stage. :D

For the original poster, I happen to like 12AY7s in the first preamp position of lower gain amps. They have less gain than a 12AX7, but tend to distort more readily than a 12AX7 if you hit them with a fat signal, like from a hot pickup or a clean boost pedal. The 12AY7 sounds pretty nice when it breaks up, too - not fizzy, more of a growl. I like the 5751 also, it was a mil-spec 12AX7 that was made to tighter specifications, so true 5751s are "NOS only."

Archived