The album that disappointed you most.

mhr74

• Members

I know I'm against the majority here. I don't like the influence Porcupine Tree seems to be having on Akerfeldt. It could also be that he's putting his aggressive output toward Bloodbath (which is also kind of dull). Songs like "Heir Apparent" and "Hessian Peel" have moments, but the intensity is just gone.

To each his own, man, but I couldn't disagree more. I like the fact that Mike has the balls to take chances with his music at this point when it would be so {censored}ing easy for him just to keep rehashing Blackwater Park record after record. I LOVE the contrast of the clean vocals over the blast beats of The Lotus Eater and the increased usage of clean vocals in general. It makes their music much more diverse and interesting to those of us who have a very hard time taking non-stop, 24/7 Cookie Monster on crack vocals seriously. If anything, the diversity and contrast on Watershed amplifies the "intensity" of the heavier material by giving you something to compare it to and keeps the music from being the same monotonous, boring & indistinguishable, same-sounding br00tz song after song.

I also dig the way Mike left his mark on Steven Wilson, leaving PT with a heavier side than they ever had before. Like I said, to each his own, but I think that collaboration was the best thing that ever happened to both of them musically.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To each his own, man, but I couldn't disagree more. I like the fact that Mike has the balls to take chances with his music at this point when it would be so {censored}ing easy for him just to keep rehashing Blackwater Park record after record. I LOVE the contrast of the clean vocals over the blast beats of The Lotus Eater and the increased usage of clean vocals in general. It makes their music much more diverse and interesting to those of us who have a very hard time taking non-stop, 24/7 Cookie Monster on crack vocals seriously. If anything, the diversity and contrast on Watershed amplifies the "intensity" of the heavier material by giving you something to compare it to and keeps the music from being the same monotonous, boring & indistinguishable, same-sounding br00tz song after song.

I also dig the way Mike left his mark on Steven Wilson, leaving PT with a heavier side than they ever had before. Like I said, to each his own, but I think that collaboration was the best thing that ever happened to both of them musically.

100% agreed.

• Members

Oh, through the ashes of empires.

As someone that had followed them since BME I was so utterly chuffed that machine head released an album that just wasnt nu metal at its worst, that was a Metal album and had decent songs

But its been a while now and I can only listen to Vim and Imperium. The rest is plodding, incoherent nonsense. That was a slow-burn dissapointment.

I agree with sheik about Opeth, in principle - they're not a band that I enjoy listening to all that much. I'll stick a song on here and there, and Damnation is my favourite album. BUT I'm glad that a band like them exist at all - people that are unafraid to try new things, always tastefull and inventive, always write in pure service of the music and do so with tremendous accomplishement in a variety of styles, understand that music finds its impact in contrast and are always changing, and while I dont like them all that much they have to be top 5 in musicians I respect.

• Members

Metallica in their hay-day didn't have to be so {censored}ing random to be diverse. :o

• Members

QFT. Well said.

For me it was Megadeth So Far, So Good . . . So What!. I loved Peace Sells and this sounds like glam {censored} in comparison. Dave in a fringed leather jacket?!?!?! "Hook in Mouth" is the only song I can stand.

Archived