OT: best shred axe

fretless

• Members

For the last 2 years the S series prestiges have been 24 fret.

Sorry about that. Brain lapse. And personally even though it only has 22 frets I'd take a s540 over a s5470 any day.

The sv that came out in 07 was a beautiful model.

But rg>s for shred. Not for chunk

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It really depends.... Do yo want it to
look
like the ultimate shred guitar or
be
the ultimate shred guitar? I mean, Paul Gilbert can shred on anything, Yngwie uses a Strat, and Greg Howe has used Strats and currently a
Laguna

Honestly, the best and fastest neck I've ever played on is from my Parker Nitefly. Literally, it's like greased lightening. Truly, you may not like the looks, but you probably can't find a faster playing guitar
anywhere

Yngwie also uses Les Pauls in he studio, thus reinforcing the fact that you can shread on any guitar you want. I have a s540fm, and I love it. It's a real fun neck to play. Still, I love my old BC Riches the best for their necks. Raw, and shaped like a Strat...sort of like an old friend, who's glad to see you .

Play them all, and you'll find the one that suits you most.

• Members

Sorry about that. Brain lapse. And personally even though it only has 22 frets I'd take a s540 over a s5470 any day.

The sv that came out in 07 was a beautiful model.

But rg>s for shred. Not for chunk

The 2010 model S5470s have the super wizard neck so I would take one of those over a standard RG for shred. Plus the S bodies are SUPER comfortable.

• Members

The 2010 model S5470s have the super wizard neck so I would take one of those over a standard RG for shred. Plus the S bodies are SUPER comfortable.

Have had dozens of both models, and in my original post i said MOST s series have 22 frets, not all. The RG is the quintessential shred guitar to me whereas I view the S series as a chunkier/darker alternative due primarily to construction.

The original 5 series Rg's and S's have the exact same necks/trems/etc.

For shred in the Ibanez camp you can't go wrong on most Japanese models however the fastest Ibanez neck I've ever played was a 1990 rg770 in pink that I bought and sold to Arkohor's last year. it was dead mint and probably the finest example of an rg i've owned. Over 3120's, 550's, PGM, Jems, Jpms, Voyagers etc. etc.

Archived