So Ozzy never wrote any of his lyrics?

MuyLoCo444

• Members

that's the {censored}ed thing about it all... in some musical circles, it is total blasphemy if someone finds out you don't write your own {censored}.
but in the pop world, that is 100% ordinary

Yes, this is very true. I've seen some of the royalty statements for various writers and they are getting paid for songs they wrote for lots of different artists.

• Members

The below interview on Blabbermouth helps put some perspective on the whole ordeal:

Q: Why did you go back to work with Ozzy time and time again?

Bob Daisley: First and foremost, we were still good friends and Ozzy and I worked productively well together. I liked the musical style and direction and his vocal melodies, and he liked my lyrics and playing; we got on personally very well, too. The first time I went back was to write and record for the "Bark at the Moon" album, at a time when Lee and I were suing Don Arden and Jet Records for non-payment of performance royalties from the sales of the "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" albums and lack of due accreditation on "Diary". Ozzy and Sharon were helping us in our lawsuit against her father, Don Arden, as she was by then estranged from him, so naturally it was in my interest to work with them again.

Q: Sharon Osbourne made the following press statement in 2002: "Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake have harassed Ozzy and our family for several years. Because of their abusive and unjust behavior, Ozzy wanted to remove them from these recordings. We turned a negative into a positive by adding a fresh sound to the original albums." Did you or Lee ever "harass" Ozzy, Sharon or any member of the Osbourne or Arden family?

Bob Daisley: Never. First of all, I'd had no contact of any kind at all with Ozzy since late 1997 and the last contact with Sharon I'd had was before then. The only member of either of the families Lee and I had contact with was Don Arden, Sharon's father, during the time he'd agreed to be an ally and help us win our case against the Osbournes. Don offered, though; he didn't have his arm twisted, but it was more for him to stick a finger up at Sharon, who hadn't spoken to him in almost twenty years, than to help us. He was genuinely willing to aid our cause, though, as the meeting Lee and I had at his house in London proved. Don also welcomed our lawyers into his house to go through documents he had which would serve a vital cause. No one was ever harassed. I always had to laugh at the part of Sharon's statement where she said, "We turned a negative into a positive by adding a fresh sound to the original albums." So insulting the memory of Randy Rhoads, the record-buying public and ruining classic albums is a "positive?" What constitutes a 'negative' in their world then? The mind boggles...

Q: Did you or Lee ever try to get other musicians involved in your legal action against the Osbournes?

Bob Daisley: Most certainly not. Neither Lee nor I contacted or approached any former or current musicians or staff within the Osbourne camp prior to or during our lawsuit against them. As our case against them progressed, former bassist Phil Soussan began a lawsuit against them for unpaid royalties in regards to the song "Shot in the Dark", which appeared on the "Ultimate Sin" album but I/we had no contact with him. There was a mention in the press that Soussan had "joined forces" with us but his lawsuit was launched independently of ours. I don't even know what the outcome for him was. Carmine Appice sued them in 1984 after being fired from the "Bark at the Moon" tour when he'd been contracted for the whole world tour. I'm not sure when his case was settled but Carmine won the case and was paid by the Osbournes but I/we had nothing to do with that either.

Q: Did you or Lee ever sue the Osbournes for any reason other than for non-payment of performance royalties from the sales of the "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" albums and for the lack of accreditation for your performances on "Diary"?

Bob Daisley: No, the only time we took legal action against the Osbournes was when we finally found out where our royalties for "Blizzard" and "Diary" were going

• Members

I don't give a crap that he doesn't write his own lyrics. Very few actually do. Ozzy has the voice and he can most likely also interpret and sing the lyrics better than the guy who wrote them. That's what counts when you're a singer.

You know, Steve Harris writes most of Iron Maiden's songs. Perhaps he should also - in addition to being the bass player - sing them and also play all the guitars and drums - you know, just because he writes that stuff. :poke: :facepalm:

Archived