5150 or DSL

guitarbilly74

• Members
well, if it helps - when I went through this question, I just got both. Currently the DSL is gone and the 5150 is still here.

so, take that as you will. I miss my DSL, but I'd miss the 5150 just as much. I think any rock guitar player really should have both.

Great minds think alike! :thu:

I went the otherway around, had a 5150II, traded it for a DSL... Then recently got a 6505 back in the rig... But this time, I kept the DSL!!! They make a nice pair:
P8250130.JPG

• Members

I GO KRANK!you had the p.v.,an da dsl,try a different flava,never know.:thu:FYI,i been a closet KRANK YOUTUBE LURKER fer a few years . i REALLY LIKE the 1960 model. very marshall-esque as cleans goes,BUT they hit it with a hi-end o.d. pedal,BROOOOTZ FOR DAYS!!!!!!!!!!! also the headshell kinda looks marshall alot. chek-out vids. one never knows? all this earlier krank bashing,we have all GROWN-UP A LIL,give the vids a shot! :)

• Members

Billy, since you're not diming the gain on your amps and aren't going super heavy, have you thought about the Bogner Alchemist? Same basic pricing as the DSL and 5150, and 40 watts cranked is quite nice. I'm actually back on my 2nd Alchemist (I will be by the end of this week) :thu:

• Members
Billy, since you're not diming the gain on your amps and aren't going super heavy, have you thought about the Bogner Alchemist? Same basic pricing as the DSL and 5150, and 40 watts cranked is quite nice. I'm actually back on my 2nd Alchemist (I will be by the end of this week)
:thu:

I actually thought about this amp. I have to try it out again. I tested it a few years ago and I remember I liked it quite a bit, but didn't think it would work for my style, it's a bit too thick and flubby for what I play. But that was before I started using EMGs again so a new test drive is in order :cool:

• Members
Billy your such a whore in 2 weeks you will have completely different rig any way.So really it doesn't matter what I say.

The would only be true if I didn't still have my JCA. :p

I also have my black Hamer since '05 and my Bad Horsie since '97. Not bad.

These are probably the things on my rig that will remain constant. Then I can play around and buy/sell on the side. So I am not a whore, I'm just in an "open relationship" :lol:

• Members
I actually thought about this amp. I have to try it out again. I tested it a few years ago and I remember I liked it quite a bit, but didn't think it would work for my style, it's a bit too thick and flubby for what I play. But that was before I started using EMGs again so a new test drive is in order
:cool:

Yup. Get one, then get an OT and choke from MM and you'll be set :D

• Members

:lol:

Does it really matter?

Whichever one you get you'll just sell to get the other anyway, and then sell that amp to buy something else.

Seriously Billy you have one of the worst cases of ampflipitus that I've ever seen, I'd just save your dough for a Mark at the very least it'd be less leg work than buying and selling amps you've already owned and offed.

• Members

I voted 5150.

the marshall DSL is sorta like jack of all trades master of none sorta amp...never really liked it especially for the price its ridiculous.

now the 5150 on the other hand...now thats an amp built to do one thing and do that one thing really really damn well. also its a matter of what kind of amp your looking for.

the drive on the 5150 is just amazing...on could argue that its just a brotalz amp and its to gainy to do anything but metal. but those who say so dont have any experience with the amp.

the amp is more than just a "metal" amp. its great for really saturated rauchy blues riffs and shuffles.

if you work the EQ section right its a perfect jazzy sounding amp with a touch of reverb.

i say get the 5150 it does one thing pretty damn well and is decent in the rest if you ask me....an amp that definately gets overlooked when it comes to versatility because its so damn good at doing what it was meant to do, and then some :thu:

Archived