So how long have you been playing geetar?

Markymarc1979

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

23 years ... also with the same predicament. Had a 3 year hiatus at one point.

Yeah, I was out for like 11 years while I built a business and chased the "American dream". Then I got back in again during the mid 90's for a couple of years. the kids finally got old enough to head off to college. I sold the business and sort of retired. Screw THAT! I took a part time job with a previous client and got back into playing again. Now I'm in a band with guys my age (I'm still the "baby" of the group! lol!) and we play our old favorites from the 60's and 70's. We only play out about once a month. It's a schedule/pace we all like real well. I still have too much free time so I've been kicking around the idea of maybe joining up with a classic rock band. I just don't to have conflicting gigs.

• Members

Well, first picked up a guitar 12 years ago. Learned lots of bad habits in the first 2 years and spent the next 10 years mostly picking one up a few times a year and smashing away at power chords or maybe a few open chord songs. Badly.

Started actually trying to learn again about 7 months ago. I'm in a current cycle of doing good practicing for a few weeks then mysteriously "not finding time" to practice much for a week or so. :facepalm:

I'm buying myself some lessons after Christmas I've decided. Just to give me direction and to have someone else see stuff I might be doing wrong so I don't learn all sorts of bad habits again.

• Members

26 years here with no breaks. Started taking lessons at 12. Played in bands in high school plus drama club and jazz band. Played in jazz band in college and scored some really cool gigs. Studied with Neil Zaza for 3 or 4 years in my early 30s and really got my chops in order.

I am content with my abilities. I started studying classical a few years ago but had to take a break with kids coming. I look forward to studying again. I still play in cover bands and do home recording. I would like to teach some day.

• Members

12 years, with a 1 and 1/2-ish-year lapse in my at-least-an-hour-a-day drill (But I still played every day, give or take maybe...20-something days spread out randomly over the 12 years where I had been physically incapable.)

I feel like I've made the biggest leaps and bounds with my playing in the last year or so. Still feel like I should be better considering the time I've invested...but meh.

• Members

25 yrs for me.still play everyday.usually 1 hr.practice,jamming to backing trax.still take lessons here and there.still buy songbooks and dvds once in a while.have understanding wife and kids.some dads drink beer and work on cars.i drink beer and play guitar.winter is my downtime.football season ended and i'm free now til spring for son's baseball.pretty much done with consistent live playing but i have a studio and friends i get together and jam with.

after all these yrs,its still great,satisfying yet just as frustrating as when i first started.but way more fun.

• Members

Right handed guitar for 7 years(mostly serious)...accident...2 years off and half my left index finger gone...left handed guitar for 1 year. For the first 3 months of left handed all I wanted to was smash my guitar, now I can play easier metal like Lamb of God type stuff, trying like hell to get back to playing Black Dahlia type stuff and getting my lead work back.

• Members

I've been playing guitar and bass for about 14 years.

I have periods where I'm super hardcore about practicing and I improve a HUGE amount in a short period, but like damn near everyone else, life keeps getting in the way, I stop being so intense about improvement, and my skills drop off quickly. Now that I have a kid, I still get really serious about practicing occasionally, but the interruptions are definitely more frequent.

I can't honestly say that I've gotten worse, per se', but I damn sure haven't gotten better.

Of course, having band practice once a week or so helps to keep me in shape.

• Members

Right handed guitar for 7 years(mostly serious)...accident...2 years off and half my left index finger gone...left handed guitar for 1 year. For the first 3 months of left handed all I wanted to was smash my guitar, now I can play easier metal like Lamb of God type stuff, trying like hell to get back to playing Black Dahlia type stuff and getting my lead work back.

Wow, good for you, I think I would have jacked it in, but I guess your never know till things like that happen.

• Members
I've been playing guitar and bass for about 14 years.

I have periods where I'm super hardcore about practicing and I improve a HUGE amount in a short period, but like damn near everyone else, life keeps getting in the way, I stop being so intense about improvement, and my skills drop off quickly. Now that I have a kid, I still get really serious about practicing occasionally, but the interruptions are definitely more frequent.

I can't honestly say that I've gotten
worse
, per se', but I damn sure haven't gotten
better

Of course, having band practice once a week or so helps to keep me in shape.

For some reason, i always thought you were older......don't know why exactly.:wave:

• Members

20 years.

I started in the fall of 1990. I was better 10 years ago than I am now. Life gets in the way of building chops.

I heard a recording of myself playing 14 years ago and it was too hard for me to play now... BUT on the plus side, I have a much better ear now and I play a lot cleaner.

I think what I lost in brute force (speed, dexterity) I have gained in overall musicianship.

Archived