Which Vox AC-30?

thesinner66

• Members

I'm thinking of hitting up a Vox for some new flavors.

My buddy's shop has the AC30cc, And the AC30C2.

I know there are some slight differences between the two. (one is a 4 input amp like so.)

lg-ac30c2-top.jpg

And the other is a 2 input w/ some type of switch.

AC30_TopPanel.jpg

Is there anyone who can tell the difference in tone between the two amps? Any preferences/issues w/ the two amps?

• Members

I've been thinking about a Vox AC30HW2 $1599.00 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC30HW2/

A little more money, but I think it's worth it.

A Classic, Hand-wired Vox Amp!

The 30-watt Vox AC30HW2 hand-wired combo guitar amplifier transports you through the golden age of Vox tone. A retro oxblood grill cover and Vintage fawn-colored vinyl over a birch ply cabinet gives the AC30HW2 classic style and sound. It's a traditional 2-channel design, with both a top boost channel that has a HOT/COOL switch and a normal channel that has a BRIGHT switch. At its heart, the AC30HW2 sports a painstakingly hand-wired turret board assembly containing three ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes, four EL84 power tubes, and a GZ34 rectifier tube - all of which are matched Ruby Tubes, which provide impeccable tone and extended dynamic range. A pair of 12" Celestion G12M Greenbacks gives you a bold and clear tone, and the OP mode switch lets you cut the output power level in half, which makes the AC30HW2 also an excellent recording/practice amp.

AC30HW2-large.jpg

750-AC30HW2_Top.jpgHW_Inside-5079b4626c7da8756193f35ac19c5d

• Members

I imagine the Greenbacks also weigh less that the other option.

Any issues you've heard of from the C2?

No issues really other than {censored}ty stock tubes but thats an easy enough fix. When I had my ac15 I would actually run in out to my GFlex cab and it sounded amazing!! Never would've expected this. Sounded so good I'm actually consider picking up an ac30 head if I can find one used to run with the G Flex cab from time to time when I want that flavor. Thats on the backburner for now as I'm looking for another high gain head to try out.......

• Members

Between those two, the C2 for sure. The CC2 is great, but they've vastly improved the AC30 in this latest reincarnation.

Personally Im a huge fan of the handwired Vox variants. Can't go wrong with anything with fawn tolex, man. :love:

• Members

I've got a cc2. I liked it when I bought it but I did end up modding it to get it where I wanted.

The differences that I know of between the C and CC are that the C has a solid state rectifier, a cab made out of worse wood, comes with better speakers in both C2 and c2x guises and has 4 inputs rather than 2. From the internal pictures I've seen, the C uses a different layout - the valves are much much easier to get to and change, in the long run there might be downsides with having the tubes so close to the speakers and the way the heat from the power valves will travel up into the PCB they're connected to.

As far as solid state vs. valve rectification, the C won't have the same sag/response at high volume that the traditional vox sound does. Though it's quite a minor thing, the amp will probably feel a little stiffer but have a tighter sound at high volume. With the wood, again not a big difference but the cab being made out of particle board means it probably won't last as long as the birch cabs of the cc series, and won't resonate quite as much.

The better speakers are definitely a benefit of the C. I changed the speakers in my CC a few times finding the ones that were best for me, the cc2 came with wharfdale speakers which are like bad greenbacks - they didn't have the chime, compression or grind most were looking for. The cc2x came with chinese blues, which were like regular blues but the cone was different, giving a more fizzy sound that couldn't be dialled out. By comparison the C series has greenbacks or blues - both made in china, but now with correct cones.

As far as the input thing, it baffles me when people look at it, see it is 4 inputs, and think that's more authentic. They're just jack sockets. the CC series lets you link channels with a switch, the C series lets you do it by plugging a lead between the channels. I suppose if you like the low sensitivity input it's a good thing, but I don't think many people use that.

Overall, just now if I wanted an amp to mod into something wicked I'd pick the CC series and fix its defects, if I wanted an amp to use and not tinker with the C is the winner.

• Members

I've got a cc2. I liked it when I bought it but I did end up modding it to get it where I wanted.

The differences that I know of between the C and CC are that the C has a solid state rectifier, a cab made out of worse wood, comes with better speakers in both C2 and c2x guises and has 4 inputs rather than 2. From the internal pictures I've seen, the C uses a different layout - the valves are much much easier to get to and change, in the long run there might be downsides with having the tubes so close to the speakers and the way the heat from the power valves will travel up into the PCB they're connected to.

As far as solid state vs. valve rectification, the C won't have the same sag/response at high volume that the traditional vox sound does. Though it's quite a minor thing, the amp will probably feel a little stiffer but have a tighter sound at high volume. With the wood, again not a big difference but the cab being made out of particle board means it probably won't last as long as the birch cabs of the cc series, and won't resonate quite as much.

The better speakers are definitely a benefit of the C. I changed the speakers in my CC a few times finding the ones that were best for me, the cc2 came with wharfdale speakers which are like bad greenbacks - they didn't have the chime, compression or grind most were looking for. The cc2x came with chinese blues, which were like regular blues but the cone was different, giving a more fizzy sound that couldn't be dialled out. By comparison the C series has greenbacks or blues - both made in china, but now with correct cones.

As far as the input thing, it baffles me when people look at it, see it is 4 inputs, and think that's more authentic. They're just jack sockets. the CC series lets you link channels with a switch, the C series lets you do it by plugging a lead between the channels. I suppose if you like the low sensitivity input it's a good thing, but I don't think many people use that.

Overall, just now if I wanted an amp to mod into something wicked I'd pick the CC series and fix its defects, if I wanted an amp to use and not tinker with the C is the winner.

Interesting. What were the mods you did to the CC?

I'm not a tech guy but I know some techs who could handle it for me. And you can't exactly modify a cabinet made out of particle board. So I may be leaning towards the CC.

• Members

Interesting. What were the mods you did to the CC?

I'm not a tech guy but I know some techs who could handle it for me. And you can't exactly modify a cabinet made out of particle board. So I may be leaning towards the CC.

Weber alnico speakers, mercury magnetics transformers and choke, treble cap - didn't get rid of it but reduced its value, defeated the standby switch, nos tubes, different plate resistors on the first valve for more grind and removed the second valve's cathode bypass cap to give the top boost channel more headroom. Replaced the coupling caps with sozo "vintage" caps. got rid of the reverb - never used it.

So a reasonable amount, but i'm very happy with the results.

• Members

From the internal pictures I've seen, the C uses a different layout - the valves are much much easier to get to and change, in the long run
there might be downsides with having the tubes so close to the speakers
and the way the heat from the power valves will travel up into the PCB they're connected to

This is a good point and I didn't think about it when the C was released. I assume the C runs as hot as the CC.

I hope I remember it the next time I change tubes in my CC. What a PITA.

• Members

This is a good point and I didn't think about it when the C was released. I assume the C runs as hot as the CC.

I hope I remember it the next time I change tubes in my CC. What a PITA.

I am going to have to give that a look. Hopefully one wouldn't need to change the tubes every other month.

• Members

I'd imagine the MM transformer upgrade would help out any amp, but what was it about the amp that made you want to change it?

At band volumes the mids were a bit murky, the lows were a bit mushy, the highs were a bit harsh. The amp felt a little choked, like it was struggling to give up the goods when it was being boosted, the cleans weren't as lush as I'd hoped. It still sounded good, but I decided I wanted to give the mods a go and find out for myself how much of a difference they made. In the case of some like the plate resistors it was just curiosity having read about the mods in various forums.

It was definitely worth it for me.

• Members

I am going to have to give that a look. Hopefully one wouldn't need to change the tubes every other month.

I find with regular practice and gigging, say two 3 hour practices a week and a gig at the weekend, most modern valves will go between 6 months and a year before they start to sound tired and thin. There was a period where I was changing the valves every month or so, just to try out different kinds. I bought a little electric screwdriver, makes it much less of a hassle and I also don't bother with the screws under the chassis which saves some time.

• Members

I find with regular practice and gigging, say two 3 hour practices a week and a gig at the weekend, most modern valves will go between 6 months and a year before they start to sound tired and thin. There was a period where I was changing the valves every month or so, just to try out different kinds. I bought a little electric screwdriver, makes it much less of a hassle and I also don't bother with the screws under the chassis which saves some time.

Wow! I take it that was before the mods?

• Members

Well I went to another shop in town that just happened to have a C2 in stock! I gave that a shot and it didn't sound too bad. It did seem less noisy than the CC that I played at my friends shop. The CC does seem to have more gain to it or a "Marshall flair." to my ears. Which is a good thing since I'll want it to be more of a rockin amp for when the surf gets gritty.

Either way, I put my DSL 50 up on the local CL to see if that will help me get the cash to make a quicker decision.

Cheers!

• Members

Valve changing is just the kind of pedantic rubbish I like to do - did the mods in october, since then I've had it open to try a different preamp combination. But I don't think I'll be opening it again until something goes wrong.

As far as the noise thing goes, I wouldn't worry about that - I've found the amount of noise is almost entirely dependent on the valves. At times the hiss with no guitar plugged in has annoyed me, at others it's been non-existant. Like, you wouldn't know the amp was turned on even with the master turned right up.

• Members

Hmmm...I'm kinda GASing for some nicer cleans at the moment...maybe I'll try an open back 2x12 or something with my Roadking? AC30 is deffinitely something I'd be into after using a hired one for a show in Malta. It was the head cab version, and we played after the Yardbirds with the same backline. I was worried it might not be Br00tal enough after hearing the glorious, but un-br00tal sound Chris Dreja had just gotten out of it. I was wrong. TS9 strikes again!!!! :D

As a side note, The Yardbirds were all incredibly nice people, very down to earth, friendly and welcoming. I've also shared a bill with The Hollies...they were the opposite :(

Josh, I was planning on coming to see you lot play at the Roadhouse but I've gotta work :( Let me know when you're about again tho. How's that DD3?

• Members

Well I went to another shop in town that just happened to have a C2 in stock! I gave that a shot and it didn't sound too bad. It did seem less noisy than the CC that I played at my friends shop. The CC does seem to have more gain to it or a "Marshall flair." to my ears. Which is a good thing since I'll want it to be more of a rockin amp for when the surf gets gritty.

Either way, I put my DSL 50 up on the local CL to see if that will help me get the cash to make a quicker decision.

Cheers!

Hey dude, between the two you mentioned I'd go with the C2. The greenbacks definitely give it more immediacy and edge than the wharfdales or blues in the CC2. A good friend just picked up an AC15C1 and he loves the greenback in there. If you want to try out another flavor, hit me up; you can stop by and play my Korg reissue AC306TBX!

• Members

Josh, I was planning on coming to see you lot play at the Roadhouse but I've gotta work
:(
Let me know when you're about again tho. How's that DD3?

No probs! We've got a bunch of gigs round brum over the next few months, if you can make it along to one just let me know and i'll get you a ticket -my treat lol. Yeah DD-3 is great, I forgot it did this great resonance thing with the delay time in the low range and the repeats all the way up - you can tune it to be more resonant on certain notes. Got to get that into a song!

Archived