Weber atenuators: talk me out of buying one.

BIGD

• Members

I'd like to be able to push my lonestar special a bit without getting dirty looks from bandmates, but I'd also like to be able to get my JTM45 reissue cranking and slave the mesa power section with it!! I think that would sound scary good. I'm pretty sure I can use the effects loop volume as a master volume, with the line out from the weber feeding the mesa.

Anyone have any bad experiences with them? I'm looking at the mini-mass 50 or 100W?

• Members

I'd like to be able to push my lonestar special a bit without getting dirty looks from bandmates, but I'd also like to be able to get my JTM45 reissue cranking and slave the mesa power section with it!! I think that would sound scary good. I'm pretty sure I can use the effects loop volume as a master volume, with the line out from the weber feeding the mesa.

Anyone have any bad experiences with them? I'm looking at the mini-mass 50 or 100W?

Well, I "had" a Weber Mass Lite 100 watt attenuator until my garage got robbed. I had an issue with the chicken head knobs on mine as well. At one point I was fully attenuating my Bray Marshall, then taking the line out into my little Laney VC-30. To be honest I was able to get fantastic brown goodness out of that little rig. I think there are better units out there than the Weber though.

• Members

Well, I "had" a Weber Mass Lite 100 watt attenuator until my garage got robbed. I had an issue with the chicken head knobs on mine as well. At one point I was fully attenuating my Bray Marshall, then taking the line out into my little Laney VC-30. To be honest I was able to get fantastic brown goodness out of that little rig. I think there are better units out there than the Weber though.

Like what and for how much? The lite is $175 and a hot plate is $328.

When you were slaving the Laney, were you running into the front end or into the FX loop? The one advantage I see to the hot plate is that it has a level knob for the line out when you use it as a load..doesn't look like the mass lite has that.

• Members

I had a Weber Mass...it sucked....sold it after a week. Pretty much wrote off all attenuators, since the ones I tried sucked all the tone out. 6 months ago I heard about the new crop of attenuators (Faustine, Aracom, Alex)....I bought an Alex since it was on par with the others and relatively cheaper. It's a thing of beauty....zero tone loss with a bunch of 100 watt heads I've paired it with. Not cheap, and you only can pick one ohmage, but I can get the power tubes cooking and shave off 6db and not have any tone loss. I don't squash the volume...gotta push air, but shaving off 3-9db makes a nice difference.

• Members

you don't got much....50 watt amps are almost as loud as 100....even 30 watters are loud.

I had a Weber Mass...it sucked....sold it after a week. Pretty much wrote off all attenuators, since the ones I tried sucked all the tone out. 6 months ago I heard about the new crop of attenuators (Faustine, Aracom, Alex)....I bought an Alex since it was on par with the others and relatively cheaper. It's a thing of beauty....zero tone loss with a bunch of 100 watt heads I've paired it with. Not cheap, and you only can pick one ohmage, but I can get the power tubes cooking and shave off 6db and not have any tone loss. I don't squash the volume...gotta push air, but shaving off 3-9db makes a nice difference.

:cry:

oh well-- glad you're psyched with burning tubes into resistors. what's the point? nothing i love better than spending $100 on a quad of tubes so i can play with a 412 in my bedroom or at mccormick and schmicks :facepalm:

• Members

oh well-- glad you're psyched with burning tubes into resistors. what's the point? nothing i love better than spending $100 on a quad of tubes so i can play with a 412 in my bedroom or at mccormick and schmicks

McCormick and Schmicks yum. That is some seriously good clam chowder.

Some amps sound good with an attenuator, like the Engl Fireball.

• Members

Save that facepalm for your dad's sack.

Shaving off 6db doesn't burn out tubes, you twat hair. And power tube distortion is a good thing. Next!

sure it is, dicknose. that's why you don't waste juice burning it into a giant resistor. you use it for real, and make your speakers move instead of wasting it as heat into an expensive piece of gear to hall around. and actually, the facepalm is for your sack, with a twist for good luck, sexy.

• Members

sure it is, dicknose. that's why you don't waste juice burning it into a giant resistor. you use it for real, and make your speakers move instead of wasting it as heat into an expensive piece of gear to hall around. and actually, the facepalm is for your sack, with a twist for good luck, sexy.

nope, it's for your old man's.....and I'll bet yours is just as pathetic.

Oh, btw, cutting 6db off a cranked 100watt amp....still moving speakers. Keep working on that post count, Broseidon.

• Members

nope, it's for your old man's.....and I'll bet yours is just as pathetic.

Oh, btw, cutting 6db off a cranked 100watt amp....still moving speakers. Keep working on that post count, Broseidon.

aw, you gonna cry 'cause somebody disagrees, ulty? sure seems like it. you seem to've lost your grip on the language as well, because i really have no idea what your construction 'i'll bet yours is just as pathetic' is tied to.

regardless-- why SHAVE 6db off anything when you can have something meant to sound good from the ground up without paying for R&D on another thing to carry around?

for what it's worth-- i'm TOTALLY yanking your chain-- and i'm certain people can make good use of attenuators, even if they are totally wasteful. :D and i never said they burnt tubes out-- just sent their output into heat. easy man-- i'm totally busting your balls right back for being so aggro with yer responses!

• Members

aw, you gonna cry 'cause somebody disagrees, ulty? sure seems like it. you seem to've lost your grip on the language as well, because i really have no idea what your construction 'i'll bet yours is just as pathetic' is tied to.

regardless-- why SHAVE 6db off anything when you can have something meant to sound good from the ground up without paying for R&D on another thing to carry around?

for what it's worth-- i'm TOTALLY yanking your chain-- and i'm certain people can make good use of attenuators, even if they are totally wasteful.
:D
and i never said they burnt tubes out-- just sent their output into heat. easy man-- i'm totally busting your balls right back for being so aggro with yer responses!

eh, no worries mate. If you've got the venue to open up an amp unattenuated, then there's no debate. All I know is, the Weber sucks, and I'm diggin my Alex.

• Members

eh, no worries mate. If you've got the venue to open up an amp unattenuated, then there's no debate. All I know is, the Weber sucks, and I'm diggin my Alex.

:thu: seriously, totally kidding around- i don't really want to go NEAR your sack, nor twist :lol:

i gave up on my 50 watter 'cause it just sounded SO freakin dry and clanky when i couldn't get it past 5 or 6- and at that point it was way too loud for anyplace i'd play nowadays.. :( finally went for a 15ish watter, and gladly, i can actually make it sound like a big amp without everyone crying. what's the main difference between the alex and the weber?

OP-- take my little original ditty with a grain of salt, 'cause it was tongue in cheek.. well. sort of. but i would consider scaling way back rather than going with a big gun with a silencer on it :D.

• Members

:thu:
seriously, totally kidding around- i don't really want to go NEAR your sack, nor twist
:lol:

i gave up on my 50 watter 'cause it just sounded SO freakin dry and clanky when i couldn't get it past 5 or 6- and at that point it was way too loud for anyplace i'd play nowadays..
:(
finally went for a 15ish watter, and gladly, i can actually make it sound like a big amp without everyone crying. what's the main difference between the alex and the weber?

OP-- take my little original ditty with a grain of salt, 'cause it was tongue in cheek.. well. sort of. but i would consider scaling way back rather than going with a big gun with a silencer on it
:D

Not sure the difference the Alex and Weber...newer technology?

15 watts is perfect...the only 2 that interest me are the Transatlantic or a BadCat.

Archived