Fulltone OCD (V1) - 9V vs 18V (youtube clip)

Johansolo

• Members

a V1 OCD came in for repairs (broken stomp switch) so decided to do a clip like i previously did with the crunchbox, @ 9V and 18V

[video=youtube;_jkEXmgY_Ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jkEXmgY_Ws

can anyone hear any difference?

i couldn't hear anything noticably different (in the room and recorded) but my wife reckons she can hear a subtle difference.

pretty much wasted my time, but at least i got to work on my video/audio editing skills

maybe the other versions have a noticable difference @ 18V...

• Members

I heard a small difference between 9V and 18V in the HP setting, but I didn't really notice a difference in the LP setting.

Of course, it's hardly a double-blind study using a control sound clip, so it's entirely likely that the differences that I heard are due to uncontrolled aspects of the recording (like the player picking slightly harder when he knows that the pedal is in 18v). It's also just as likely that I'm hearing what I want to hear in that 18v is more aggressive due to the increase in headroom. It's also hard to tell because it's not exactly the best-recorded clip. In a studio environment, any differences would be a lot more apparent. Of course, whether or not such small differences would make the slightest bit of difference in a mix is up for debate.

I'd like to hear a similar A/B test without telling anyone which is which and using a reamped clip.

• Members

makes you wonder how much stuff in the guitar world is placebo.

people do like to rave on and sometime exaggerate a bit (to the point of night and day)

but for some pedals, the higher (or lower voltage) does make a difference. its all subjective anways, and just thought id do a different style clip/demo to add to the collection on youtube.

this is this is the crunchbox demo i did previously...if you havent seen it already.

[video=youtube;l7c0OXamWpY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7c0OXamWpY

ill try and get a suhr shiba, timmy and xotic pedals demo/shootout in due course.

• Members

The guy working the checkout at Guitar Center Lake Forest was raving about these today, stating that the 18 volt is just the sickest od ever. He said, " would you rather h dave a 5 watt amp or a 50 watt amp?" "more voltage equals more tone and sustain". What do yall think about this? LOL

Archived