Hey amp forum, help an older dude out here (cheap amp modification content)

Buttcrust

• Members

Hey amp forum, what up ? I used to own a Epiphone SC-210 amp (stereo chorus with 2 10" speakers). It was a very nice amp which is no longer made. I no longer have that amp but found something quite similar, a "Rogue" (Musicians Friend house brand) amp that is quite similar. Instead of 2 10" speakers, it has 2 8" speakers. I would like to get a bigger cabinet and 12" speakers (I don't know the "ohms" rating for the 8" ones that are supplied with this thing). Can you guys help me out a little ? Where can I get 2 12" speakers and a "replacement" cabinet for this thing ? Can you help me rebuild it with a new cab and nice 12" speakers ? Any other "mods" (transformer, other components ? ). Here is a pic of the SC-210 (with my Broadway) from about 9-10 years ago. That was a pretty nice amp, a "poor mans" twin reverb. Hey, the Rouge amp is only $100. Would 12" speakers (of the correct ohm rating) be OK to swap out on this Rogue amp ? I wouldn't overpower (or under power) them if I replaced the 2 8" speakers with 12" ones, would I ? The SC-210 was 60 watts (I think 2 30 watt "channels" a piece) maybe I'm wrong ? The "specs" for the rouge amp say it is 40 watts. Hey help me out here. Thanks for any and all help.

Rogue amp

DV016_Jpg_Large_H05532.001_black_R.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_H05532.001_black_top.jpg

Epiphone SC-210

IMG_0057.jpg

http://www.epiphone.com/images/epsc210.pdf

• Members

I have a reason to get that piece of shit amp. Guys, I know that amp is crap, but I also got a crap Rogue lap steel cheap $100 lap steel to go with it. Ha. I love POS stuff. Maybe in the future I will get a really nice stereo chorus amp, but right now, I do want that particular POS amp to compliment the POS lap steel LOLOL. Can you answer my original question. thanks, I know you are really trying to steer me in the right direction, but right now, at this particular moment, thats what I want to do. dig ?:facepalm::):lol::):cool:

• Members

Good replacement speakers may easily cost 1 to 2 times what that Rogue amp costs. Cab is even trickier part: You could either build one yourself, find yet another cheap and suitable amp to cannibalize for that purpose (not as easy as it sounds) or buy a cab from one of the manufacturers who build them to custom specs. The latter can easily cost more than 10 x the price of the amp, the other options vary a lot depending on numerous things. Either way, you'd still be spending some considerable amounts of money.

So, the Rogue amp might be a worthwhile purchase as is but as a platform for $$$ mods not so much.

• Members

2x12 cabs can be had from Lopoline, Avatar, others. They can wire them in stereo upon request, I'm sure. If a new cab is too much $, find a used 2x12 and if it's not already stereo, wire it that way yourself. Or get two 1x12 cabs.

Can't help with modding that amp.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I know it's an old thread but I have the Rogue SC40R and love it to death! I've had it for years but used it rarely because I play stereo matched amps. I recently made a discovery about it though. I always loved the tone color and have kept a lazy eye open for another to match it for stereo as it has only a mono input. HOWEVER I had never used the MP3 input until a couple of months ago. Twas then that I realized it is a true 2 channel stereo amp where I previously thought it used some after-power-amp circuitry to simulate the stereo chorus effect. It is now my bread and butter! The 40 watts works great for small venues and also for stage sound when running through the PA. Now I am looking for the SC120R or the SC80R as it would not take much to make it the perfect amp for weight management, ease of setup, light footprint and GREAT sound. The MP3 input is after pre-amp so it is a raw signal. The amp has surprisingly great bass response even at higher volumes where most amps tend to taper off to conserve recourses.

On the front end I use only the Boss GT-100 which has some fantastic amp modeling abilities with the output set to emulate board/headphones. At this time I have no intentions of deviating from this configuration. If anyone disses on the great amp, it's only because they haven't used or do not know how to optimize it. If you are running from an analog pedal board and want to use the MP3 stereo input then you may consider adding an amp modeler at the end of your string. Otherwise if running through the guitar input it has it's own great tone characteristics running through the pre-amp.

I am selling my ALL of my other amp configs. I will not need them once I find the missing SC120R. As a user who uses it as my show product in every show now, I recommend it highly. Enjoy!

Archived