Are Celestion G12H30 Heritages the worst speakers ever? Or is it just me?:mad:

Tommy Horrible

• Members

Man, I absolutely haaaaaaaaatttttttttteeeeeeee the 1960BHW I bought. Those speakers sound like pure god dog {censored} IMO. The bass is weak, the high end is the fizziest I've ever heard. They smear every sound that goes into them and makes it sound 1000x worse. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

$800 speakers that sound like they sould cost $2.

{censored} that, my Avatar 4x12 with regular G12H30 Aniversaries runs laps around the Heritage ones. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu terrible speakers.

I would like to slap the "the pup" from the JVM forum for saying those things sound good with a JVM. What a dip{censored}.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what?

dude, something is going terribly wrong, 'cause standard h30's are freakin' great speakers.

post up your settings (INCLUDING volume).. gads-- i suspect something is super amiss. 'weak bass' is about as far from any h30 i've ever heard.. top end complaints i've heard from strat guys... but NEVER les paul users.

• Members

what?

dude, something is going terribly wrong, 'cause standard h30's are freakin' great speakers.

post up your settings (INCLUDING volume).. gads-- i suspect something is super amiss. 'weak bass' is about as far from any h30 i've ever heard.. top end complaints i've heard from strat guys... but NEVER les paul users.

No, the "standard G12H30s" are great. My favorite Speakers. The Heritages are overpriced dog {censored}.

• Members

All my setting were on 5 except the gain on my 2203, that was dimed. Volume was on like 4. I was sitting there comparing it a Mesa Standard Recto cab with v30s, (yes they are 1000x harsher and brighter than v30s), and a 1960B with Splawn Small Blocks which are like greenbacks.

Most nasily high end I've ever heard, weakest lows, they just don't sound guitar speakers at all, they sound like plugging into my Avatar 4x10 bass cab almost.

• Members

All my setting were on 5 except the gain on my 2203, that was dimed. Volume was on like 4. I was sitting there comparing it a Mesa Standard Recto cab with v30s, (yes they are 1000x harsher and brighter than v30s), and a 1960B with Splawn Small Blocks which are like greenbacks.

Most nasily high end I've ever heard, weakest lows, they just don't sound guitar speakers at all, they sound like plugging into my Avatar 4x10 bass cab almost.

ill give you 50 bucks for them. :thu: but for real. you are doing something wrong.

• Members

i found with mine that running them flat works really well-- but they respond BETTER to less 12ax7 gain. try to pull your front end gain down by half or even 2/3-- and run your output hotter and see what happens.

NASAL is weird, for sure. if you do the above, you might need to turn your bass down a bit. dump some gain and get the voltage up across 'em.

they could also really need to be broken in, like ward said... but i'm kinda surprised still that they're 'lacking bottom end'... jesus.. they're bass cones.

• Members

This is what I'm using for a reference. Mesa Standard Recto V30s, Marshall 1960B with Small Blocks

I don't see what I could be doing wrong, this amp sounds great with all the other cabs, and every amp I've played throught these speakers sounds like horse {censored}. Since everything else sounds good and normal, I'm thinking it's the speakers that sound like {censored}.

IMG_1231.jpg

• Members

i found with mine that running them flat works really well-- but they respond BETTER to less 12ax7 gain. try to pull your front end gain down by half or even 2/3-- and run your output hotter and see what happens.

NASAL is weird, for sure. if you do the above, you might need to turn your bass down a bit. dump some gain and get the voltage up across 'em.

they could also really need to be broken in, like ward said... but i'm kinda surprised still that they're 'lacking bottom end'... jesus.. they're bass cones.

Well how do yours sound compared to regular G12H30s because they sound nothing alike to me? I love regular anniversay 12H30s, they are my favorite speaker. That's why I thought these would be even better, but they sound nothing alike.

• Members

oh- i'm talking regular h30's in my rig. but even still-- running REGULAR h30's over other speakers necessitated some serious re-do of my 'normal eq'. i suspect 'em being 55hz cones-- they're gonna be bassier in the long run-- and i know my h30's are bastards WRT treble if you're not careful.

i'm not throwing out suggestions based on just that though-- moreso just on the premise that they move more air, and mebbe they just need more grip from the amp to sound normal-- and preamp gain can sound pretty awful if you use a lot of it on the wrong speaker-- but giving the amp more control over the cone might help out. just a guess.

and seriously-- don't even SWEAT running your bass lower- just try it. the eq on a marshall's not known for having a massive swing..

• Members

oh- i'm talking regular h30's in my rig. but even still-- running REGULAR h30's over other speakers necessitated some serious re-do of my 'normal eq'. i suspect 'em being 55hz cones-- they're gonna be bassier in the long run-- and i know my h30's are bastards WRT treble if you're not careful.

i'm not throwing out suggestions based on just that though-- moreso just on the premise that they move more air, and mebbe they just need more grip from the amp to sound normal-- and preamp gain can sound pretty awful if you use a lot of it on the wrong speaker-- but giving the amp more control over the cone might help out. just a guess.

I actually tried exactly what your saying. And coaxed a decent tone out them, but they still sound way worse then any other speakers I have.

I'm gonna post some clips soon comparing these things, they are terrible.

• Members

I actually tried exactly what your saying. And coaxed a decent tone out them, but they still sound way worse then any other speakers I have.

I'm gonna post some clips soon comparing these things, they are terrible.

Yea Tommy... I think clips are in order. Clips and settings.

• Members

I would like to slap the "the pup" from the JVM forum for saying those things sound good with a JVM. What a dip{censored}.

Something HAS to be wrong (e.g. are your speakers broken in?) because that guy's pretty much the newholland of that forum.

• Members

Did you buy this cab brand new? (If not, are your speakers broken in?)

Something HAS to be wrong (e.g. are your speakers broken in?) because that guy's pretty much the newholland of that forum.

Well I did all the regular break in procedures that Celestion describes, including running a real bass through it(don't feak out these are actually bass speakers to any one confused), and none of them seemed to make much of a difference.

I've broken in new speakers before, and nothing has helped, plus this cab was used.

• Members

Well I did all the regular break in procedures that Celestion describes, including running a real bass through it(don't feak out these are actually bass speakers to any one confused), and none of them seemed to make much of a difference.

I've broken in new speakers before, and nothing has helped, plus this cab was used.

Just checking, mang, since you hadn't addressed that yet :D

Archived