What's the best Chorus in the market in your opinion

guitarbilly74

• Members

I like my hardwire chorus but I'm not a huge analog conneseur of analog chorussesses. That should mean that I'm easy to please but I'm actually extremely picky with my chorus sound. I loath the warbling and wobbly chorus sound.

my favorite part of the hardwire is that it's true stereo in and out so it can be used for dual amp stereo setups or wet/dry/wet config's as well.

This is how I like it set (a decent video to show it off as it's running DI in true stereo.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use a 18V Danelectro Cool Cat. You can use a 9V transformer with it but it sounds thicker, deeper and warmer with the 18V power supply that comes with it. In true 18V mode I would put it up against any analog chorus in the under $75 category. 2nd choice would be the Visual Sounds H2O chorus/echo

• Members

Let's see. Had a Boss CS-2, Ibanez CS505, an Ibanez CS9, an Ibanez CS9 RI, an Ibanez BCL, a Danelectro Milkshake, a DOD FX-65, and a DOD FX-68.....................

What I use is the DOD FX-65.

The FX-65 has a shimmer I am looking for. It's on my Pedal Board.

I also like the Dano Milkshake as it is has to me a very similar sound to the Ibanez CS-505 and CS9 at a lot lower cost.

• Members

I've owned the following....

TC Nova Modulator
Boss CE-1
Eventide Modfactor
TC Corona Chorus (currently own this)
Redwitch Empress
Strymon Ola Chorus

Also played the Choralflange and the TC chorus/flanger with the built in plug.

The best one IMO is the Redwitch. I sold it when I bought the Axe and have been looking for a cheaper replacement. I should just buy another.

I do want to try the Neunaber ChromaChorus though - so maybe that's next.

• Members

I don't think I've ever come across a chorus pedal I didn't like.

I'm not a big chorus user... but I need it for certain songs.

I have:

Boss CE-2

Boss CE-5

Boss CH-1

Hardwire CR-7

Behringer C0600 Chorus Orchestra

I love 'em all. They all easily get me a sound I like.

I like to go for the lush Andy Summers type chorus.

For warm analog sounding chorus ..... the Hardwire CR-7 does that extremely well... plus it has other modes for more shimmery brighter chorus.

I also have a TC Electronic G-Major 2 ...... and I like the pedal choruses better than what I get with that unit for some reason.

• Members
I sold my Boss CE-5, and bought this. VERY pleased!!

ZW38BlackLabelChorus-11.png

Zakk used a CE-5 on his old pedalboard before ^?

He used a lot of chorus on the Ozzmosis album, in fact, some of the thickest chorus effects I've heard. I think the new BLS album has some on it too.

• Members

A Roland Jazz Chorus amp seems pretty interesting...
After 35 years of hunting sound, it seems that Roland has chorus sound down pretty good...

I had a GP-8 and now have a GP-16...
Both have a stereo chorus that is real good.

I also would have to say that MXR has always had good stuff.

• Members

Let's see. Had a Boss CS-2, Ibanez CS505, an Ibanez CS9, an Ibanez CS9 RI, an Ibanez BCL, a Danelectro Milkshake, a DOD FX-65, and a DOD FX-68.....................

What I use is the DOD FX-65.

The FX-65 has a shimmer I am looking for. It's on my Pedal Board.

I also like the Dano Milkshake as it is has to me a very similar sound to the Ibanez CS-505 and CS9 at a lot lower cost.

I have the dod. Good for Hifi style and cheap. The small clone good for thick underwater style.

• Members

I thought Zakk used a MIJ CE-2 before the MXR.

Zakk used all Boss, before MXR came along, and basically duplicated them, added much needed improvements, and offered a sturdier pedal.

My Wylde OD is basically a souped-up SD-1, which he also used. The Wylde OD is lessed compressed, doesn't suck bass, and is more aggressive sounding than the SD-1, which, again, was his go-to for boosting his JCM800's.

• Members

Zakk used all Boss, before MXR came along, and basically duplicated them, added much needed improvements, and offered a sturdier pedal.

My Wylde OD is basically a souped-up SD-1, which he also used. The Wylde OD is lessed compressed, doesn't suck bass, and is more aggressive sounding than the SD-1, which, again, was his go-to for boosting his JCM800's.

sturdier than a Boss? don't think so

"improvements", well that's subjective. repackaged and marketed=yes

the fact is, his most famous work was done with Boss pedals, not the MXR stuff. I highly doubt he'll record anything again as timeless and popular as the classic stuff he did with Boss pedals.

Archived