Need some mojo/help HCAF, I don't do this often

Brick

• Members

So I just received word today that my old man was let go at work. {censored}ty, I know. On top of it, my mother is a Realtor, and we all know how well the housing markets have been the last couple of years.

A little background, my father was a project manager for the trucking company NFI, he managed backhauls for Target, and made sure that every Trader Joe's grocery store in the US got their designated 3 deliveries a day. So he ran big operations for the company. In the six years he was there, he

Increased revenue from 12.5 million to 27 million.

Raised profits from 1.8 million to 7.479 million.

Increased Backhaul revenue from 780,000 to 5.4 million

Basically, my first year of college has been paid off, but that ate away a lot of my parent's savings. So in essence, if anyone in the Chicago area is looking for anyone with experience in trucking, my father is the man to call. PM me if anyone knows of anything.

I'm posting here because this is the place I come to for the lulz. This site has been awesome to me so I figured it couldn't hurt to throw some info out and beg for some mojo from you guys. Thanks HCAF

• Members

Massive mojo sent to you and your family, man. I got laid off after 11 years with Xerox in March of '08 and it took me 8 months to find a new gig. It was rough as hell & I almost lost my house, but it finally turned around and I ended up getting a substantial raise in the end, so here's hoping your dad has even better luck than I did and someone out there will be smart enough to understand the value of what he still has to offer. Good luck, man & keep us posted! :thu:

• Members

Massive mojo sent to you and your family, man. I got laid off after 11 years with Xerox in March of '08 and it took me 8 months to find a new gig. It was rough as hell & I almost lost my house, but it finally turned around and I ended up getting a substantial raise in the end, so here's hoping your dad has even better luck than I did and someone out there will be smart enough to understand the value of what he still has to offer. Good luck, man & keep us posted!
:thu:

Thanks Sheik, I can only hope.

• Members

When my dad first started at this company, his boss (the guy in between him and the VP's) and him got along really well, and continually tried to expand their part of the company. The VP my dad's boss head butted with was the guy that continually fought the two of them on decisions about expanding their Bollingbrook, IL terminal. Well fast forward six years, my dad's boss turns out to be my old man's best friend. Well, about 4 months ago, he passed away. Things quickly got rougher at work, and now this. That's the basics from what I was told

• Members

When my dad first started at this company, his boss (the guy in between him and the VP's) and him got along really well, and continually tried to expand their part of the company. The VP my dad's boss head butted with was the guy that continually fought the two of them on decisions about expanding their Bollingbrook, IL terminal. Well fast forward six years, my dad's boss turns out to be my old man's best friend. Well, about 4 months ago, he passed away. Things quickly got rougher at work, and now this. That's the basics from what I was told

Ahh...so the guy has been waiting for an excuse. Sucks, but it's fairly typical. Given your Dad's track record, he should be able to find suitable employment soon. Best of luck to him and your family.

• Members

Tell him to get ready for serious age discrimination. There's guys that'll do his job for 30g/yr.

Also, for the older generation, you might wanna help your dad by introducing him to the Internet based job search websites, only reason I say this is because my gfs parents still think you walk in and shake hands with the owner to get a job. Times have changed, lots of the older generations aren't used to hunting for jobs in the way that are required now (Ie a computer chooses you now, so the game is send 1000 resumes out to get one call back).

Mojo sent!

• Members

Tell him to get ready for serious age discrimination. There's guys that'll do his job for 30g/yr.

Also, for the older generation, you might wanna help your dad by introducing him to the Internet based job search websites, only reason I say this is because my gfs parents still think you walk in and shake hands with the owner to get a job. Times have changed, lots of the older generations aren't used to hunting for jobs in the way that are required now (Ie a computer chooses you now, so the game is send 1000 resumes out to get one call back).

Mojo sent!

Well my dad is in his early fifties, but life has been kind to him, he looks early 40's, but I understand. I've got him on the typical job sights, and I edited and updated his resume and then passed it off to my good friend who's a english major just to triple check everything. He's got a decent list of contacts, so hopefully he can find something else fairly quick. Thank god my parents have some savings or we'd be royally {censored}ed.

Appreciate all the comments guys :thu:

• Members

Mojo sent, and I hope for the best for your Dad and your whole family.

My income has gone from over 100K for the last 20 years (going back from 4 years ago) to $500.00 per week. We make up the negative by using our savings and by not eating out, or going top the movies or buying anything.

Tough times and I don't see any relief in sight.

I always pray for those Americans who are out of work, in my family where there are myself and 3 brothers in law, I am the only one drawing any income. Scary............

We can thank our Las Vegas attitude of speculating on everything, jacking up the prices thru bull{censored} hype, and then after the rich and powerful drive the price up to balloon levels they sell and walk away with their riches leaving the rest of us broke. It has been estimated that over 40% of Americans personal wealth has disappeared thru the stock market bubble, the real estate bubble and sophisticated loan packages that no one can understand but that are fraudulent at their most basic level.

rant over, sorry :blah::blah::bor:

Archived