Tuner pedals?

boonestunes

• Members

I use the peterson to do set-ups, if I didn't have it, it would be worth the turbo for that for sure. I think the tracking speed is insane, but the poly is plenty fast enough also. (wow, that was weird, I typed also osla)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why? I love the quick strum of the polytune to check tuning instantly, go right to the wonky string/strings, done. I think the turbo looks like a great tuner, and I seriously considered one before I got the polytune.

The Turbo Tuner locks and tracks noticeably faster than the Polytune. (you beat me to this)

The Polytune feature is neat and unique and worth the price of admission...if you use it (I can't see why I would) But individual string tuning is faster and (IHMO) better on the Turbo.

• Members

Does anyone find that their Turbo Tuner is just too precise for live use? Like you waste time trying to get it your strings exactly in tune?

Not really. I find it significantly speeds up the process, actually.

When I used to use a TU-2, I'd have to tune, then play a chord, and usually re-tune since there were bound to be notes that were still sharp and flat. The TU-2's +/- was up to a 3 cent swing, and that can easily be heard by anyone.

The most important thing to get used to with the Turbo Tuner is that the strobe will never stop moving. As long as you can get it so it almost stops moving, you'll be in perfect tune when you take it off bypass. You don't ever have to repeat the process.

• Members

Does anyone find that their Turbo Tuner is just too precise for live use? Like you waste time trying to get it your strings exactly in tune?

I've gotten used to it after owning it for a couple of years. It tracks much faster than most tuners so it helps make up for it in that aspect.

Edit. I think the faster tracking actually trumps it. I think it makes it faster despite the accuracy. I think your fingers and mind just have to get used to the minute adjustments.

• Members

When I used to use a TU-2, I'd have to tune, then play a chord, and usually re-tune since there were bound to be notes that were still sharp and flat. The TU-2's +/- was up to a .3 cent swing, and that can easily be heard by anyone.

The most important thing to get used to with the Turbo Tuner is that the strobe will never stop moving. As long as you can get it so it almost stops moving, you'll be in perfect tune when you take it off bypass. You don't ever have to repeat the process.

Wait a minute I thought the TU-2's accuracy was +/- 3 cents? Not 0.3 cents.

• Members

When I used to use a TU-2, I'd have to tune, then play a chord, and usually re-tune since there were bound to be notes that were still sharp and flat. The TU-2's +/- was up to a .3 cent swing, and that can easily be heard by anyone.

Seconded. The TT is the first tuner I've completely trusted, everything else I've had to fix by ear to get perfect. The strobe is so freakin fast that I can tune up in no time at all. It really makes you realize how much of an annoying delay most tuners have.

• Members

Either the Polytune or Pitchblack. The new Hardwire Polyphonic tuner looks promising as well.

I really have no preference to the Polytune and Pitchblack, but the Polytune is white.
:cop:

Polytune over Pitchblack any day. It's at least almost as fast as the TT.

Here's the TT raping the Pitchblack:

[video=youtube;9JdM-fjn9IU]

• Members

Oh, yeah...the Pitchblack is rated at +/- 1 cent, so that kinda puts it one step above the Boss TU-2...everything else that we've talked about it beats it.

Here's the order, from least to most accurate:

Boss TU-2: +/- 3 cents (thanks again, NBB)

Korg Pitchblack: +/- 1 cent

T.C. Electronics PolyTune: +/- .5 cents

Peterson Strobostomp: +/- .1 cent

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner: +/- .02 cents

• Members

anybody using the Boss TU1000?

tu_1000_top_main.jpg

I've never seen any pedal, tuner or otherwise, take as much of a bashing as that one has. You just know that the guy at Roland who gave the TU-1000 the green light is now pan-handling for food money, somewhere.

Archived