Floyd Rose "Brass Big Block". ?

lenster

• Members

Hey guys

Just about to install my Trem stopper and D tuna,

Now got me thinkin on the Brass blocks.

A: are they worth it ? Describe if possible the notable differences in tone.

B: If so what size ,32mm 37mm or 42mm.

Will be fitted to my charvel so-cal.

Cheers

• Members

IMO it made a noticable difference on my C66. especially on the cleans. More sustain, chords seem to have a bit more body to them too.

For the price, it's a good buy IMO but the titanium prices crack me up.

All of this.

• Members

IMO it made a noticable difference on my C66. especially on the cleans. More sustain, chords seem to have a bit more body to them too.

For the price, it's a good buy IMO but the titanium prices crack me up.

Yup. :thu:

• Members

I put one in a Jackson Dinky, made a huge difference. Sounds bigger, sustains way better, harmonics pop better, and gave it more midrange but it took a lot of the highs away in the guitar though. It really mellowed it out a bit. I've had to compensate for that with brighter sounding strings. Even for all the pros of a brass block, I'm not quite sure if I like it yet or not, I may put the stock block back in at some point. I like the snarl the original block had. I think I'd only use a brass block again if I had a super bright sounding guitar and needed to take some of the brightness away, for warmer sounding woods, I wouldn't use one at all.

These are my observations.

:obviously

• Members

Oh and as for the size, the new Charvels can fit any of them, but come stock with the 37. I have 37mm brass blocks in 2 of my Charvels, and a 42mm in another, there is no difference.

Thanks for that bro.

I'm gonna order the 37mm Brass "L" block.

Fitted the Trem stopper and D-Tuna and it already has a slight tone difference.

Lovin the D-Tuna, quick n easy.

• Members

I used to believe it was all snake oil since my guitar already sounds incredible with the stock SS block. But after thinking about it, I really like the idea of adding mass to the sustain parts, and brass is always awesome to have.

FUU want.

• Members

I installed mine today (42L Brass Big Block) on a 2010 Charvel San Dimas Strat.

As you can see, the new sustain block is far bigger and heavier than the stock one. After installing it (plus a brass trem stopper), which took about 25 minutes, the guitar sounds fuller - thicker - sustains twice as long. The guitar doesn't sound as bright anymore and the stock JBs sound better.

Guitar-BigBlockProject003.jpg

This was a great buy...I will probably do this to all my FR guitars.

• Members

I highly recommend it! Loved the way it added some warmth and sustain to my guitar. Like others have said it really shows in the cleans, I love how my single coils sound with it. It is totally worth the buy!

Also, www.guitarfetish.com has some stainless steel and solid brass blocks for a bit cheaper than floydupgrades.com... that being said, Guitar Fetish doesn't have the L Blocks...

Cole

• Members

I was wondering the same thing....is it just more mass (in which case I could glue lead onto my current block)

or is it the brass??

I'm leaning towards mass. It's easier to sell a nicely machined bright piece of brass!

I think the material of the metal makes and impact as well. Think of it as using different materials of wood. They are always going to sound different. Stainless steel and brass are pretty different to, so I'd like to believe it does make some sort of tonal difference. That said, there's no doubt that the main idea of a big block is to increase the mass of the sustaining parts.

• Members

I think the material plays a huge part. Obviously theres more mass to help with the sustain, but the brass brings the warmer tones. I'm not crazy enough to buy a titanium block with them being so outrageously expensive, but I've heard that they add a lot brightness and maybe some ice pickyness.

Archived