Purpose-built amp for pedals?

scolfax

• Members

That is how every Dr.Z i've played struck me. Not that they don't sound great standalone, but they seem to take to pedals in a very natural way. The 2 knob vol/tone controls on most models seem to keep the ability to {censored} up to a minimum. Keep in mind I haven't tried the Trainwreck clone.

• Members

Visual Sound (not sure if they still make one)

Carl Martin

Yeah, this. I remember seeing one a few years ago. If I remember correctly it seemed a bit pricey for what it was but it might have sounded heavenly so what do I know.

• Members

twin?

bear in mind, my answer to all actual amp questions is either orange TV50, fender twin, or on some occasions an AC30

Same here but move AC30 to the front of the list.

But for a pedal platform I would to with the twin. And like yourguitarhero says, no need for a loop to do what OP wants.

• Members

The voicing of the clean channel you plan on using is critical IMO.

If the amp just doesn't have a good 'pedal clean' then it's no use in my experience.

The presence and treble are the most important IMO. the frequency bands have to be spot on.

A jangly, sparkly clean is not the best for this IMO. I prefer a flatter clean sound that is round and bassy when using pedals.

The Shiva clean channel is perfect for pedals, but when the OD channel sounds like it does, I kinda feel bad for not using it! :lol:

I should add, that only when the bright switch is engaged though. Perfect top end. No harshness. Voiced perfectly.

Hoping my JTM 45 comes close.

For instance, I thought the 1987x wasn't a great pedal platform. Too spiky for my liking. Lots of top. When I clipped the bright cap it took away too much top and that was that really. The presence was gone. The harshness was as well, but the mojo suffered afterwards.

• Members

I built a 100W Hiwatt clone a while back for this express purpose. It had so much friggin' headroom it was perfect for pedals. Delay and reverb sounded especially heavenly but it worked great with anything I plugged into it.

Also, a Roland JC-120 or Fender twin would serve the same purpose.

• Members

I agree with Nerine^

A sparkly jangly clean tone is not the ideal platform for a dirt pedal IMO. You'll want a little compressed top end with a bit of grit to it otherwise you risk a distortion tone that can be a bit thin, edgy, and piercing. A way around that is to put both an EQ pedal and a dirt pedal into a looper pedal so that you can switch them both on or off at the same time. Also, some dirt pedals with a 3 band EQ might work.

I find that the low inputs on either my AOR or my 2204 to be especially dirt pedal friendly.

Archived