Marshall JVM Series

mcmurray

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Naff.

I had one.

Sounded tinny, crappy stock speaker, waaaaaayyyy too much gain, i.e. after 12.00 it becomes unusable, fizzy, generic and plasticky sounding, no balls, the gain always sounds forced and filtered through a network of bull{censored}. No organic valve tones in there IMO.

etc etc etc

• Members

I beg to differ. It's basically a super cracked out Marshall with more gain than a 5150...

:thu:

Born J of In Flames is now using the JVM210... but In Flames is sooo not metal... right. :facepalm:

I seriously question some opinions on this forum. The JVM series can't do metal... really... I mean... really? WTF? :rolleyes:

• Members

I like the 4 channel more cause I think OD1 sounds way more badass(more mids, beefier, more punch) than OD2, and the 2 channels only have OD2. The cleans and crunch channels are great as well. It's not the greatest amp ever, but for the price they go for used, it's a hellava deal.

• Members

I had one. I thought it sounded great. It was a bit noisy under really high gain, but all the classic Marshall sounds were in there. I don't know if it was just mine or they're all like that, but it did blow through tubes faster than any other amp I've used.

Here's a pretty good video of Joe Satriani playing the half stack version.

• Members

Naff.

I had one.

Sounded tinny, crappy stock speaker, waaaaaayyyy too much gain, i.e. after 12.00 it becomes unusable, fizzy, generic and plasticky sounding, no balls, the gain always sounds forced and filtered through a network of bull{censored}. No organic valve tones in there IMO.

etc etc etc

You didn't try Clean "green" cranked and boosted. Tone {censored}ing heaven. However, it is a crunch tone and not metal at all.

You can do metal, but I don't prefer it for that.

• Members

I'd never really paid much attention to the Marshalls as I thought they were more classic rock oriented. The other day I noticed Buckethead using a 4 channel JVM on his current tour which piqued my interest, he's always been a Mesa user.

Here he is demoing the JVM410;

[video=youtube;Eibtic5Vzgc]

If the 1x12 comes close to that I'll be happy enough.

• Members

Born J of In Flames is now using the JVM210... but In Flames is sooo not metal... right.
:facepalm:

I seriously question some opinions on this forum. The JVM series can't do metal... really... I mean... really? WTF?
:rolleyes:

Having tons of gain doesn't automatically mean it's suitable for metal.

• Members

I like the 4 channel more cause I think OD1 sounds way more badass(more mids, beefier, more punch) than OD2, and the 2 channels only have OD2. The cleans and crunch channels are great as well. It's not the greatest amp ever, but for the price they go for used, it's a hellava deal.

It was the opposite for me... I thought the JVM 210 sounded warmer, thicker, and more open. Less processed maybe? But I can understand the lack of certain modes.

• Members

You didn't try Clean "green" cranked and boosted. Tone {censored}ing heaven. However, it is a crunch tone and not metal at all.

You can do metal, but I don't prefer it for that.

No of course I didn't. :rolleyes:

It's a POS. Plain and simple.

A DSL kills a JVM for proper valve tone.

• Members

No of course I didn't.
:rolleyes:

It's a POS. Plain and simple.

A DSL kills a JVM for proper valve tone.

POS? Because you don't like the tone?

I've gone through probably a dozen amps in a 5 year period, and now have had the JVM 2 and a half years. I have no need to look at other amps. The tone I have is what I've been looking for.

However, Im not in love with channel two. So I can understand why people don't like it for metal or high gain.

Archived