Just bought a new Mac Book Pro, need help transferring music from my PC to Mac...

Chrisjd

• Members

Hey guys. I am not a computer idiot but I am having a hard time getting my music library onto my mac. I want to set up a home network where i can basically drag and drop music or other files as I please between my windows 7 desktop and my new mac.

The homegroup thing just isn't working, seems like I can't get it set up properly despite reading a lot of tutorials etc.

Any suggestions?

• Members

It's nice for sure, but I don't know how to work it very well yet since I have no mac experience. I really like windows 7 so we'll see if this suits me as well.

I'm not really an OSX fan, but the machines are nice. You could always throw Win 7 on there if OSX is too odd for you.

• Members

Congrats. I just got one too. I friggin love it! The Trackpad is insane!

I have all my "stuff" on one of these: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=RUV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=D+LINK+NAS&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=658&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13043477864088350467&sa=X&ei=HH_9TZzLEano0QH98am6Aw&ved=0CHEQ8gIwBA

Put it on an inexpensive UPS in a Cool, Dry Location and set up the ITunes Server. :thu: Jam the {censored} out anywhere your wireless will reach with out taking up disc space! m/

• Members

Congrats. I just got one too. I friggin love it! The Trackpad is insane!

I have all my "stuff" on one of these:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=RUV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=D+LINK+NAS&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=658&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13043477864088350467&sa=X&ei=HH_9TZzLEano0QH98am6Aw&ved=0CHEQ8gIwBA

Put it on an inexpensive UPS in a Cool, Dry Location and set up the ITunes Server.
:thu:
Jam the {censored} out anywhere your wireless will reach with out taking up disc space! m/

Interesting, I will look into that. Yes, I am liking this computer more and more. For some reason it is just hard for me to adjust to this os. I have always been a windows guy and it's a bit difficult learning Snow Leopard. I get to download OSX Lion for free since I purchased this machine after June 6th. :-)

• Members

I'm not really an OSX fan, but the machines are nice. You could always throw Win 7 on there if OSX is too odd for you.

Don't do this unless you need Windows for something. OSX has much better battery life and in general is the better OS.

Win7 Homesharing is a bit {censored} because it only works with Windows machines. You need to do a regular old network share for OSX to find the machine. Share a folder, then in OSX you can hit Cmd+K in Finder and type in the IP of your Windows machine. Can't remember if something else was required, possibly user permissions etc.

Also get these programs for your Mac:

- Path Finder (replaces Finder, it's essentially Finder done right)

- BetterTouchTool (for custom trackpad gestures and more)

- Steermouse (for better mouse movement if you use an external mouse)

- Fluid (lets you turn websites into their own apps, making it easy to open Facebook, Gmail or whatever other webapps you may use)

- XGestures (if you want to use mouse gestures with an external mouse)

- Pixelmator (image editing - it's essentially what Photoshop would be if Adobe cared about their customers one bit. Right now it's cheap in the Mac App Store and you'll get the 2.0 upgrade too I think)

- The Unarchiver (for opening pretty much any compressed file format)

- XLD (if you need to convert any music file to a format understood by iTunes)

• Members

Congrats on the Mac. I used to be a hater of Macs myself but in 2010 I had four PC's go down on me at my tattoo shop and the two four year old iMac's are still going strong and our computers have people on them 12 hours a day 6 days a week looking up {censored} all over the internet. Another thing I like about the Macs is that when we open in the afternoon it takes the Macs less than 60 seconds to start up , but the damn PC's take forever.

• Members

...I have always been a windows guy and it's a bit difficult learning Snow Leopard. I get to download OSX Lion for free since I purchased this machine after June 6th. :-)

Lion is pretty cool, I like it a lot. It is interesting in that at first it doesn't seem like a large departure from Snow Leopard -- which is good for you since are just learning to use Snow Leopard. However, as you use it you begin to appreciate all the new features that Lion brings to OSX, things like versions/auto-save, mission control, launch pad, tweaks to finder and so on. Synch via iCloud is going to be great.

I haven't run into any significant compatibility issues. Snow Leopard was a different story; I had some apps that stopped working until the app devs upgraded. But SL was really the foundation release for Lion so that release kind of cleared the deck for Lion. I have had Lion installed for a couple months but it is on my dev machines so I still use SL much more than Lion -- so I may run into a compatibility issue down the road when I switch to Lion for everyday use.

• Members

Lion is pretty cool, I like it a lot. It is interesting in that at first it doesn't seem like a large departure from Snow Leopard -- which is good for you since are just learning to use Snow Leopard. However, as you use it you begin to appreciate all the new features that Lion brings to OSX, things like versions/auto-save, mission control, launch pad, tweaks to finder and so on. Synch via iCloud is going to be great.

I haven't run into any significant compatibility issues. Snow Leopard was a different story; I had some apps that stopped working until the app devs upgraded. But SL was really the foundation release for Lion so that release kind of cleared the deck for Lion. I have had Lion installed for a couple months but it is on my dev machines so I still use SL much more than Lion -- so I may run into a compatibility issue down the road when I switch to Lion for everyday use.

Awesome. I wasn't aware that people could get Lion so early.

• Members

Are these applications in the app store or are these programs I must buy?

Some are, some are not. Some are free, some are paid. What sucks big time about the Mac App Store is that it has no way to download trial versions unless the developer has added a "lite" version or something. That's downright idiotic. Out of the ones I listed Pixelmator and The Unarchiver are probably the only ones in the Store. The rest you can find via Google and try before you buy if they're not free.

@ magentaplacenta: As much as I love Dropbox, it's not that great for moving tons of files like a music collection. For occasional file transfer needs it's excellent tho.

• Members

Don't do this unless you need Windows for something. OSX has much better battery life and in general is the better OS.

Win7 Homesharing is a bit {censored} because it only works with Windows machines. You need to do a regular old network share for OSX to find the machine. Share a folder, then in OSX you can hit Cmd+K in Finder and type in the IP of your Windows machine. Can't remember if something else was required, possibly user permissions etc.

Also get these programs for your Mac:

- Path Finder (replaces Finder, it's essentially Finder done right)

- BetterTouchTool (for custom trackpad gestures and more)

- Steermouse (for better mouse movement if you use an external mouse)

- Fluid (lets you turn websites into their own apps, making it easy to open Facebook, Gmail or whatever other webapps you may use)

- XGestures (if you want to use mouse gestures with an external mouse)

- Pixelmator (image editing - it's essentially what Photoshop would be if Adobe cared about their customers one bit. Right now it's cheap in the Mac App Store and you'll get the 2.0 upgrade too I think)

- The Unarchiver (for opening pretty much any compressed file format)

- XLD (if you need to convert any music file to a format understood by iTunes)

I'd add these:

AppFresh adds the best App Store Feature (automated updating) to all of your software, no matter how you install it.

Chicken of the VNC helps you control the other machines in your house over VNC.

Fraise for great text editing with syntax highlighting, etc.

Onyx for some advanced settings that are really useful.

Adium for instant message.

Colloquy for IRC.

Reeder for RSS.

Steam for games.

Clementine for a better music manager/jukebox than iTunes.

MakeMKV for ripping movies.

VLC to play virtually any music file.

Growl for better notifications.

Perian to add codecs to Quicktime.

Geektool for desktop customization.

For what it's worth, I virtually always find that I prefer the FOSS stuff better than commercial software or AppStore stuff. It's not surprising, because that's the kind of software I use on W7 and Linux. If you really want to get the most out of your Mac, learn a little bit about how to use the Terminal. You'll be surprised how often it comes in handy.

• Members

Remind me to reference this thread next time we have a Mac Vs PC thread and mac dudes argue that OSX is great right out of the box. :lol:

In all seriousness, the terminal is your best friend. JBecker is right on the money with this suggestion.

• Members

I've been thinking about selling my 13" Macbook Pro and getting a 17" Windows laptop. I like OSX, but I can't afford a 17" Macbook Pro. Damn thing is almost 2 years old. Probably won't even get half of what I paid for it. Damn technology.

Archived