Tried the Line6 Relay G50 out finally

hcprimerib

• Members

(Well, big thanks to Line6 for taking a great company like X2 with good made in USA wireless units, and moving their production over to china. A$$holes )

But I digress.... okay the G50 is a pretty neat unit. Good tone and ranges. I walked all over the house and different levels and no drops, etc. The cable simulation is basically a treble cut but works ok. I put it on a really low setting just to take the very top highs out.

Great unit, but it does color the tone a tiny bit. The least dramatic coloring of any wireless I've tried (Shure, Samson, etc). No latency. Seems to have decent battery life.

Your mileage may vary but it's still a pretty cool wireless unit.

• Members

whether your wireless colors your tone is going to depend on your pickups and how they interact with your transmitter. If you're running really hot passives you most likely won't see much difference. If you're running actives you absolutely will not see any difference. If you're playing a strat with vintage style singles or a LP with really nice low output PAF's you might see more difference. It's all about the impedance mismatch between the output of your guitar and the input of the wireless.

It's not speculation, it's physics.

• Members

Currently debating either the G30 or G50. I used to have the X2 rack unit and it was amazing. This time around, I want a pedal unit.

i had debated this too but went for the g50. g30 may have been fine but i figured in long run having some extra range could be useful to have and probably meant stronger signal...

• Members

One thing that I should mention...

It looks like the wireless manufacturers are wising up and installing a gain feature on their transmitters so you can match the pickup output to the transmitter input on some of the new wireless systems. This is IMO really cool as I used to have to use a Radial Dragster to do that. Might be something to look into. I believe Sennheiser and Shure both do this.

• Members

Currently debating either the G30 or G50.

I'd go with the G50 (I own one), I was debating and picked the 50 over the 30 because of it's metal construction vs plastic. But both units are great and the G30 can use a regular cable and the G50 needs those fancy Shure ones.

• Members

i had debated this too but went for the g50. g30 may have been fine but i figured in long run having some extra range could be useful to have and probably meant stronger signal...

same here. I figured the metal case and the increased range made sense.

• Members

I love my G50. I bought the G30 first, but the plastic casing really turned me off, and the transmitter went out so I had to warranty it. Ive had my G50 for longer than I had the 30, and I seriously have no complaints.

• Members

(
Well, big thanks to Line6 for taking a great company like X2 with good made in USA wireless units, and moving their production over to china. A$$holes
)

But I digress.... okay the G50 is a pretty neat unit. Good tone and ranges. I walked all over the house and different levels and no drops, etc. The cable simulation is basically a treble cut but works ok. I put it on a really low setting just to take the very top highs out.

Great unit, but it does color the tone a tiny bit. The least dramatic coloring of any wireless I've tried (Shure, Samson, etc). No latency. Seems to have decent battery life.

Your mileage may vary but it's still a pretty cool wireless unit.

Maybe you should have told X2 to not sell their company to Line6 then?? :idk: :idk: In another 5-10 years those engineers (who did the original X-Wire line and sold to Sennheiser) when their non-compete is up will do another company with an even better product and make even more money.

Also my XDS-Plus rules, but maybe (depending on how band goes) I'll get a 30 or 50. I can only get about 2-3 gigs from 1 9V.

• Members
Maybe you should have told X2 to
not
sell their company to Line6 then??
:idk:
:idk: In another 5-10 years those engineers (who did the original X-Wire line and sold to Sennheiser) when their non-compete is up will do another company with an even better product and make even more money.

Also my XDS-Plus rules, but maybe (depending on how band goes) I'll get a 30 or 50. I can only get about 2-3 gigs from 1 9V.

I use mine at practice. Ive had it for 3 months. I just changed the 2 AA batteries last week. I leave it on for 4 hours, minimum, at each practice. We practice once a week.

• Members

I use mine at practice. Ive had it for 3 months. I just changed the 2 AA batteries last week. I leave it on for 4 hours, minimum, at each practice. We practice once a week.

The new ones definitely are an upgrade from the X2 stuff AFA battery consumption goes. Add AA's to that over 9V, and /win!

• Members

The new ones definitely are an upgrade from the X2 stuff AFA battery consumption goes. Add AA's to that over 9V, and /win!

Yeah. Plus, the 50 has a power save mode, which limits the range and saves battery life. Its {censored}ing fantastic. I hate 9Vs too man...the AAs make if {censored}ing cake.

HOWEVER!!! I did buy some rechargeable AA batteries that FRPC recommended, and the {censored}ing batteries dont fit in the transmitter....wtf lol.

• Members

I use Energizer rechargeable's in mine and only have to recharge them every month or so and thats playing at home a couple hours a day, practice once a week and usually a show every weekend. Thats more than good enough IMO :thu:

• Members

I use Energizer rechargeable's in mine and only have to recharge them every month or so and thats playing at home a couple hours a day, practice once a week and usually a show every weekend. Thats more than good enough IMO
:thu:

No {censored}. I was kinda gonna go w/ the 30, but if what Raf says is right about "power save mode" on the 50, that seals it. :thu:

• Members
Really? Man that's killer, I had no idea. That's a great tool for rehearsal.

No {censored}. I was kinda gonna go w/ the 30, but if what Raf says is right about "power save mode" on the 50, that seals it.
:thu:

Yeah, its pretty awesome. Saves me on batteries, fo sho. Also, when I say it cuts down range, its still ridiculous lol. Ill walk around the parking area sometimes while playing guitar...WELL over 100 feet, and it still works flawlessly.

• Members

Yeah, its pretty awesome. Saves me on batteries, fo sho. Also, when I say it cuts down range, its still ridiculous lol. Ill walk around the parking area sometimes while playing guitar...WELL over 100 feet, and it still works flawlessly.

I have a pretty long drive way, and I can walk out to the end of it with my amp in the garage when my G90 is on power save mode.

Archived