2x12 cab wired in series but one speaker is not working?

iblastoff

• Members

just got a 2x12 avatar cab i purchased from a forum member with wgs green berets loaded in it. each speaker is 8 ohms and are wired in series to carry a 16 ohm load.

problem is one speaker isn't working at all? the right speaker (facing from the front) produces no sound at all while the left seems to work just fine. i've tried different speaker cables and using the other input on the back of the avatar cab with the same results.

as far as i can tell, i opened up the back and the wiring seems ok (but i'm not a wiring expert). i compared it to the avatar wiring diagram (http://www.avatarspeakers.com/wiring%20diagrams.htm) and it look correct.

i was under the impression that if a speaker is actually blown in a series wired cab, then neither speaker would work?

does this mean it may just be a faulty wire or could i actually have a blown speaker?

rhpc37.jpg - in this image, the LEFT speaker is not working at all. the right speaker seems fine. EDIT:: turns out the speaker DOES work but its really quiet and has no bass response. the cone seems frozen.

vs26id.jpg - NOT working

25814eh.jpg - working

2ylu1ww.jpg input (i believe 2nd input is to daisy chain to other cabs)

• Members

it may be blown with the windings shorted.

in that case the cab would "look" like just one speaker to the amp.

suggest you contact the seller.

Pardone my ignorance but can you physically see if windings have been shorted?

I've emailed the seller and am awaiting a response. in the meantime I'm hoping to get it up and running myself if it's not blown. Unfortunately i dont really have tools like multimeters and such to do further tests or whatever.

• Members

it may be blown with the windings shorted.

in that case the cab would "look" like just one speaker to the amp.

suggest you contact the seller.

It's rare for the windings to "short", but possible. Get yourself a multimeter - even a cheap one - and save yourself a lot of hassle. A Green Beret (8 ohm) should measure 6.8 ohms resistively.

In a series wiring, if one speaker is blown (open) the resistance would show as 'infinate" and neither speaker would work. But as you describe it, is sounds as if the second speaker is indeed shorted.

Should the speaker be "bad", replace it with an ET-65. You won't be sorry! It'll give more bottom to that GB.

• Members

Start by testing the resistance on each speaker (detach the wiring). Also take pics of the wiring and post here.

i just attached pics to the original post. i don't have the tools to test resistance unfortunately. i'm hoping to rule out any wiring issues first (unless theres a faulty wire i suppose)

• Members

Why does the cab have two speaker jacks and what is the second one wired to? It could be just an extension jack, but I'd start by looking at that...

yah its just an extension jack. same as my other avatar 2x12

if the windings in the silent speaker are indeed shorted, does it mean its completely useless/blown? i assume this can't happen during shipping?

• Members

It's rare for the windings to "short", but possible. Get yourself a multimeter - even a cheap one - and save yourself a lot of hassle. A Green Beret (8 ohm) should measure 6.8 ohms resistively.

In a series wiring, if one speaker is blown (open) the resistance would show as 'infinate" and neither speaker would work. But as you describe it, is sounds as if the second speaker is indeed shorted.

Should the speaker be "bad", replace it with an ET-65. You won't be sorry! It'll give more bottom to that GB.

alright im gonna take a trip out to walmart and grab a multimeter and follow this youtube tutorial (

yes i'm a noob at this stuff but i figure i might as well learn it now). the buyer i got it from seems to have pretty good feedback on this forum so i'm hoping it either got damaged in shipping or something or he tested the cab out and didn't realize one speaker wasn't working? bah.

• Members

Can you move the cone on the speaker that doesn't work ? Maybe it got stuck somehow.

Giga

not sure what you mean by move the cone. you mean just try to nudge the actual cone itself?

also new discovery. i disconnected the working speaker and set it up as a 1x12 8 ohm cab on the 'broken' speaker. turns out its not completely silent but just really really quiet. as if theres no bass in it and just only treble. volume is much lower as well. any ideas?

if i move the quick connects over to the working speaker, i get normal full volume so it seems like the external wiring is fine?

i went out and grabbed a multimeter (wtf walmart doesnt sell them?) but turns out it requires a 12v battery which i dont have laying around. god damnit!

• Members

Can you move the cone on the speaker that doesn't work ? Maybe it got stuck somehow.

Giga

after some youtube videos and reading up, the cone on the speaker does NOT move. i tried the 9 volt battery trick by connecting the terminals and although it makes a POP noise, the speaker itself does not raise forward as shown in this video:

the working speaker raises up just fine.

god damnit!

• Members

Yeah...bad speaker. And it is highly unlikely that happened in shipping. I would almost say it's impossible. Who was the forumite who sold this to you?

it was someone who i've seen received good trade reviews on this forum. username: theAntihero

the sale thread was here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2799632

he said he had tested everything before shipping and i'm inclined to believe him. i also contacted WGS in regards to troubleshooting and daniel from WGS responded saying getting banged up during shipping and having the aforementioned issues is apparently possible. everything seemed packed up pretty well though and the speakers were attached inside the 2x12 cab. even if it was banged around i don't see how the cone would be damaged? i really don't know anything about speaker maintenance so i had to follow up any avenue i could.

so far i'm trying to find out how to possibly just loosen up the coil so it can move again? no idea if this is possible. when i do the battery test, i can feel it ATTEMPT to move and makes a pop sound. i assume reconing would be out of the question as the cost would probably be the same as a new speaker anyway.

• Members

it was someone who i've seen received good trade reviews on this forum. username: theAntihero

the sale thread was here:

he said he had tested everything before shipping and i'm inclined to believe him. i also contacted WGS in regards to troubleshooting and daniel from WGS responded saying getting banged up during shipping and having the aforementioned issues is apparently possible. everything seemed packed up pretty well though and the speakers were attached inside the 2x12 cab. even if it was banged around i don't see how the cone would be damaged? i really don't know anything about speaker maintenance so i had to follow up any avenue i could.

so far i'm trying to find out how to possibly just loosen up the coil so it can move again? no idea if this is possible. when i do the battery test, i can feel it ATTEMPT to move and makes a pop sound. i assume reconing would be out of the question as the cost would probably be the same as a new speaker anyway.

Hey, i just got online again and sent you an email.

I have had speakers get banged around and have some voice coil rub before(in fact about 2 months ago i had a Delta LFA with that problem that was shipped in the same box as another one that didnt have an issue). Apparently the tolerences are pretty tight in the VC from what im told but the issue is not in the cone from what you've told me.

UPS is really pissing me off here, i packaged that pretty damn well and as long as they didnt launch it off a truck it should have been fine. Sadly i put the 2 more broken in and smoother sounding Green Berets that i had so UPS screwed up some nice speakers.

Anyway read the email i sent and we can get this worked out.

• Members

after some youtube videos and reading up, the cone on the speaker does NOT move. i tried the 9 volt battery trick by connecting the terminals and although it makes a POP noise, the speaker itself does not raise forward as shown in this video:

the working speaker raises up just fine.

god damnit!

There you have it then. The voicecoil somehow is stuck in the most outward or most inward position. Does your amp pop really loud when you switch it on or off ? That can cause this too.

You might try to loosen the cone up by gently pushing the cone in the right direction while giving pressure around the cone at the same time (spread fingers). You might get lucky..

Good luck

Giga

• Members

so i've been in contact with the seller and we managed to work things out! all is good.

for the time being though i now have a spare 'broken' speaker to toy around with.

There you have it then. The voicecoil somehow is stuck in the most outward or most inward position. Does your amp pop really loud when you switch it on or off ? That can cause this too.

You might try to loosen the cone up by gently pushing the cone in the right direction while giving pressure around the cone at the same time (spread fingers). You might get lucky..

Good luck

Giga

none of my amp heads do any sort of loud popping that i've noticed. when i do the battery test with the broken speaker, i can feel the cone TRYING to raise up and emits an audible but quiet pop. i assume this tells me that the voice coil is stuck in the most inward position. i feel like if i can dislodge it somehow it would work alright because it still seems responsive?

unfortunately i haven't seen anything online that would help me figure out how exactly to dislodge and unstick the voice coil. i'll try to push the cone around a bit more when i'm home from work just to see what happens.

anyway thanks for all of the suggestions and thanks to theantihero for working things out in the end. in the mean time i'm going to keep troubleshooting this speaker so if any more suggestions are out there, let me know!

Archived