If Dream Theater and Fates Warning met in a dark alley

Yarbicus

• Members

Ahhh, gotcha. I'm not familiar with much after Karma. I think I tried dipping into Epica and not liking it, which kept me from the latter albums you mentioned.

Poetry For The Poisoned(their newest) is pretty awesome, IMO. Roy Khan's out now though, which sucks bad. For the first time I'm not looking forward to new Kamelot. :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice! I'm digging this track! I'll have to explore some more stuff from them for sure!

As said too...not your typical prog-falsetto....which I like as well. sets them apart. Dudes actually got a good, strong, full voice. Bogging that down in constant falsetto all the time would be a shame.

These are great riffs too! :thu:

• Members

This. Ray Alder {censored}ing SMOKES James LaBrie. Redemption is currently my second favorite prog metal band behind Symphony X.

John Arch on a bad day is 100 times better than both Ray Alder and James LaBrie. I'm not hating on those guys, but John Arch was gifted with an incredible voice that mortals just can't compete with.

• Members

Poetry For The Poisoned(their newest) is pretty awesome, IMO. Roy Khan's out now though, which sucks bad. For the first time I'm not looking forward to new Kamelot.
:(

Oh, man! Just read about that. Khan's voice pretty well defined Kamelot. I lie Poetry OK but it is no Black Halo.

• Members

Really? I love his voice. Way better than the falsetto most prog bands use. But, to each his own.

I agree that the singer is waaaay better than the falsetto singers, but with as awesome as the music was, I was expecting something else. :idk:

• Members

{censored}ty vocals are {censored}ty

Ray Alder is one of my all time favorite vocalists. While you may not like him, his talent and ability is undeniable.

However, that being said, you may like their first album. Same musicians, but a different singer. Sounds a lot more like Jon Arch.

• Members

I think this track gives a much better scope of the band's style, as well as a better example of what Alder does within the band. Those that would prefer the higher stuff, check out his work with Fates Warning. For those that prefer Jon Arch, check out the first redemption album with their original singer.

• Members
I love Redemption and Fates Warning.
:D

I still think Riverside is one my favorite modern "prog" bands though.

Riverside is plain amazing!
I've them 7 or 8 times live.
Wonderful experinece :thu:

If You like Riverside, do not miss the Indukti.
Another great band from Poland.

• Members

And Russell Allen smokes ALL of them.
:thu:

I love Russell Allen's aggressiveness but I think that Ray Alder is the better SINGER. Doesn't matter much to me since my current rotation is equal parts Snowfall on Judgement Day and The Iconoclast!

• Members

Have not heard Redemption or Riverside before. I really dig the Riverside vid. I will need to check out more from both bands.

As mentioned in this thread, anyone NOT listening to Anubis Gate is doing themselves a disservice.

• Members

I love Russell Allen's aggressiveness but I think that Ray Alder is the better SINGER. Doesn't matter much to me since my current rotation is equal parts
Snowfall on Judgement Day
and
The Iconoclast
!

Listen to Symphony X's older stuff or any of Russell Allen's solo stuff with Jorn Lande, he's really only gone with the aggressiveness thing on the last two SX records. He's actually an incredibly versatile singer with a {censored}-ton of range who's just as good at straight, "clean" vocals as he is channeling Dio. He's also record-perfect live.

A nice little example of Russell's full range...

I still love Ray, though, being a Fates fan from way, way back. I actually prefer his voice to Arch's with Fates, it just fits better.

Another really good prog-metal band in the classic DT/Fates mold I've just started getting into is Darkwater (in case you haven't heard them yet)...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I would consider Epica/The Black Halo to be pretty progressive. They still have Power-ish songs, but go off on tangents(like the whole Ghost Opera disc).

Kamelot is sort of hard to define. I would say they are a melodic-symphonic-power metal band with prog elements. One of my favorite bands. A lot of good material from Seige Perilous through Poetry for the Poisoned. Love this live performance of "Memento Mori" from The Black Halo album. I wouldn't call it prog necessarily, but it is prog-ish.

• Members

Kamelot is sort of hard to define. I would say they are a melodic-symphonic-power metal band with prog elements.

See, I won't go this far with genres; they're either power or prog, or a mixture. :lol: None of the melodicgothicprogpowersyphonicwhatever, that's too much of a hole to dig for a band. I also define prog as bands like Queensryche, Fates Warning, DT, Savatage, Evergrey, etc; so other's opinions might be different.

• Members

This. Ray Alder {censored}ing SMOKES James LaBrie. Redemption is currently my second favorite prog metal band behind Symphony X.

Meh, I prefer LaBrie by far. Redemption is ok but nowhere near DT imo. They lack that depth musically and I'm not talking about Systematic Chaos.

Archived