THIS is why Metallica were the most overrated metal band of all time

teemuk

• Members

Actually, no. He clearly brings it on himself. He might not be terribly bright, but I detect no measurable special needs. Other than maybe laying off the pipe at least until college.

{censored}er probably has a faux-hawk, non-prescrip Weezer glasses and girl jeans too :mad:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, yeah, the general public are stupid and don't know music as well as you do.

They're not {censored}ing Katie Perry.

They were/are a metal band, and a {censored}ing good one, but were able to write tunes that appealed to a much larger audience across multiple genders.

Don't like it? Don't buy the records or go to their shows.

Over-rated? No. Only a dumb {censored}, or butt hurt, die-hard thrash fan would say that.

Do Agree

• Members

Firstly, Metallica are not overrated. To think otherwise is stupid.

Secondly, if you think they are overrated, then you can't have been there at the time! Sorry, young'un (or old'un)... unless you were there around RTL, MOP or Black album then you don't know jack{censored}.

Thirdly, Sepultura were certainly a comparable movement to Metallica. I grew on on Sepultribe and am a fully signed up fanclub member :D Yea metal hahaha. Comparing their relative successes is just stupid and proves nothing. As far as I'm concerned, Sepultura were the biggest band in my history. But this is metal, not some {censored}ing sport event. We don't berate the other side. Metal is about the beautiful mixing of unity and aggression and youth rebellion and straight up musicianship. Stop being a {censored}ing {censored}!

Fourth, Megadeth could possibly have been a brilliant band, if only they could have either written a great song on anything past Rust in Peace or if Dave Mustaine did the decent thing and hired a vocalist.

Fifth, There will never be anyone again that will cause a movement like those thrash titans of yesteryear. Never again will kids go crazy for a really meaningful movement or be as one so much with an artist to get their names tattoo'd on themselves - note the Sepultribe logo on my back.

Sixth, anyone learning metal guitar NEEDS to learn every riff from RTL, MOP and Black. It's like metal guitar primer. Every kid I've taught that to has gone on to be a {censored}ing phenomenal player (of course the tried and true songs notwithstanding, e.g. some purple, some yngwie, some ac/dc. etc).

Seventh, I don't care what Metallica have become. I know it's a sad reflection of somethign they once were and I would love to hear another great Metallica album but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Eighth, I'd love to produce for Metallica. I'd get the thrash out of em! {censored}ing challenge laid down. I've gotten bands who spent entire months sniping at each other and getting drunk to lay down some {censored}ing awesome sounds.

Ninth, I like Kirk Hammett's soloing. I don't care how good or bad he is, or how much you take the piss out of his wah pedal or stupid mustache, his soloing fits Metallica's music. If you don't agree, {censored} off and listen to Dream Theater.

Tenth, you can bash Metallica all you like. But there isn't a single mother{censored}er on this forum that wouldn't swap places with any one of them in a single heartbeat if it was at all possible. Even Jason Newstead!

I HAVE SPOKEN!

• Members

Or you could address the damn point I made?

since you said you are young...i would recommend that you check out some Motorhead -for some 'thrash' history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXBKfQgzUpc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovyaeFKlfw&feature=related

[video=youtube;BaxZzBX-qII]

Diz

• Members

you've already said you're a junior in high school in another thread.

This explains everything. Im not trying to talk down to you by any means , just saying that youve grown up with a different vision of Metallica than some of us older folks did.

• Members
Another Metallica hater thread -- sooooo {censored}ing 2005.

spaceghost_FP.jpg

Who said this was about hating them...? Metallica made a handful of awesome music. It's just that they seriously just made a handful of it, literally, and that handful in no way excels the music of other great thrash / pre-death metal bands of those times. Hence they are overrated.

• Members

Who said this was about hating them...? Metallica made a handful of awesome music. It's just that they seriously just made a handful of it, literally, and that handful in no way excels the music of other great thrash / pre-death metal bands of those times. Hence they are overrated.

You must have small {censored}ing hands or really bad taste in thrash.

• Members

You must have small {censored}ing hands or really bad taste in thrash.

Or maybe he's just regurgitating the same bull{censored} commentoid he managed to store up from trawling internet forums most of his life.

If you honestly think Metallica only made only a handful of good music, you really haven't a clue and are in no way qualified to even comment on the subject.

www.dreamtheater.net - enjoy!

• Members

haha. metallica made three great records, that could easily be considered a handful. thrash went WAY beyond metallica, and to think otherwise, undermines a slew of other, just as important bands of that era. personally, i like the crossover stuff better. thrash + punk/hardcore = pure win.

slayer made beautiful music during that era as well.

• Members
Not always, but in this case...

I mean they wrote a lot of memorable riffs, Kirk did a lot of epic solos (sloppy or not), Hetfield is (or more like was) a great vocalist and alltogether they made great music.

"Better" is subjective, but I prefer a bunch of average musicians making good music than a bunch of music-gods not being able to write something worth listening.
:idk:

i thought the op's videos were great examples of metal music during that era. i've always preferred the meaner and more aggressive {censored}.

• Members

OK, here are my last thoughts on this:

In 1985-86, I was a freshman in college. The usual "finding myself" BS that everyone goes through. Then Master of Puppets hit like a bolt of lightning from the sky. It was definitely the album that changed my life. Reign in Blood and Peace Sells... also came out in 1986 (epic year for music!) but they just didn't have the same impact. GREAT albums but they didn't bust the scene wide open like Metallica did.

• Members

Metallica is way more than just thrash/metal though. They have always been pretty diverse and IMO even their early albums were not just all out thrash to the core. I personally don't think they have made a bad album except for St. Anger. Of course I don't hold myself to one genre of music like alot here seem to. I personally think 99% of todays metal/thrash is {censored}. I would personally take 10 more Metallica Load/ReLoad style albums over the crap most metal/thrash bands are putting out today.

• Members

1) Of the six bands the OP posted, three (Exodus, Testament, and Sepultura) were top flight bands. Unfortunately, it seems the OP went out of his way to find terrible examples of their music. Also, the other three bands all hurt my ears, and not because of volume.

2) If this guy is a junior in High School, he should wait for his nuts to drop before he starts passing judgement on what is over- or under-rated. Nothing personal, as all of us were pimply teenagers doing our best to be cool at or around that age. But there is a huge {censored}ing world outside that a 16 year old has no {censored}ing idea about. You don't know {censored} until you start to realize all you the {censored} you don't know.

3) Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are both near perfect works of art. I can only think of three other metal albums that are close to that level of perfection: Rust in Peace, Persistence of Time, and Drift. And you know what? I don't give a {censored} if anyone else agrees with me. What you like, what you respond to, is your own damn business. To say a band is overrated is the antithesis of this ethic, and makes the person saying it a condescending prick. Music is NOT a competition. It is art.

Archived