OT: poison ivy remedies!

HumanFuseBen

• Members

Also, try to keep cool and not sweat or it will spread

Once the plant's oil has been washed off it won't spread any further. The small bumps are just the bodies reaction. Breaking those does not spread it. Infection may be a concern though.

Nighttime is the worst. I've found a really long and hot shower (as hot as you can stand) directed on the affected areas will relieve the itch for several hours. At first it will feel like it's being scratched (awesome) and as you adjust to the hot water, turn up the temp. Continue until the itch has subsided.

• Members

Once the plant's oil has been washed off it won't spread any further. The small bumps are just the bodies reaction. Breaking those does not spread it. Infection may be a concern though.

Nighttime is the worst. I've found a really long and hot shower (as hot as you can stand) directed on the affected areas will relieve the itch for several hours. At first it will feel like it's being scratched (awesome) and as you adjust to the hot water, turn up the temp. Continue until the itch has subsided.

The one time I had it all over my body, the doctor told me not to sweat because it would spread (not to other people. just on me). You make more sense though, now that I think about it. I don't know why the doctor told me that. I had to get a shot and take steroids, but unfortunately, I didn't get any muscle gain, lol

Edit: I couldn't play football during that time either, lol (it was while I was in High School)

• Members

I found this stuff called Technu it works amazingly well. In fact if you know that you got into some Ivy, oak, or sumac you can use this stuff immediately and it will remove the oils better than soap so your rash is significantly lessened

• Members

The one time I had it all over my body, the doctor told me not to sweat because it would spread (not to other people. just on me). You make more sense though, now that I think about it. I don't know why the doctor told me that. I had to get a shot and take steroids, but unfortunately, I didn't get any muscle gain, lol

Edit: I couldn't play football during that time either, lol (it was while I was in High School)

Yeah, I'm not sure about the doctor's recommendation. It does seem to be a common misconception.

I'm a pro at getting Poison Ivy. I've found little to help the itch other than the hot water. It really works for me.

• Members

I picked it up on my ankle & it spread to most of my calf over the course of 6 weeks. Look forward to 5-6 weeks of ichiness like you've probably never experienced - misery. Don't itch it open though - my bro got a blood infection from poison ivy open sores...

BTW - I tried probably 8 different poison ivy remedies - none of them do {censored}. The only one that I found that minimzed maybe 5% of the ichiness is a pump spray called Technu. Good luck - you're not going to be having much fun for the next month - looks likeyou have it worse than me ...

Oh, and as someone else said - pour nearly scalding hot water on it (as hot as you can stand) will be the 2nd best sensation you will ever experience - it will make you weak in the knees it feels so good & take away the itch for a few hours. I've used a hairdryer also - same orgasmic affect. Just don't burn yourself ...

• Members

This! Start with light heat and increase it as you get used to it-sorta like a Japanese bath. You will feel an intense itch as histamines leave your body. It'll last about 30 seconds. Once this happens you'll be itch free for about eight hours until your body produces more histamines. Some people respond well to steroids but most people take about two to three weeks to get over it.

• Members

I am so happy that I moved away from a place with poison ivy to the desert. Now I just have to deal with 1,000 different types of plants that have needles and spikes. Going outside is kind of like wandering through Layne Staley's place shortly before his death.

• Members

I thought calamine lotion was the standard cure.

You're gonna need an ocean,

Of calamine lotion,

You'll be scratchin' like a hound,

The minute you start to mess around,

Poison Ivy, Poison Ivy,

Late at night, when you're sleepin',

Poison Ivy come a'creepin',

All arou-ou-ou-ound,

Measles make you bumpy,

And mumps will make you lumpy,

And chicken pox will make you jump and twitch,

A common cold'll fool ya,