What Album has the Heaviest Guitar/Bass mix in your opinion??

NeverTheMachine

• Members

pretty much everything Meshuggah has ever done. The DEI tone is just so intense and clear, and the Chaosphere tone has this awesome combo of face melting guitar tone and bass tone that sounds like gears grinding together.

That just goes to show - I like Meshuggah, but I've never found their tone particularly heavy. Chaosphere actually grates on me, at higher volumes those mids / mid-hghs get ear-meltingly annoying. For me, At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul is what "heavy" sounds like, as well as Carcass' Heartwork.

• Members

Depends on what your idea of heavy is.

Mostly low-end heavy, not necessarily down-tuned guitars, but that helps too. Like Soundgarden "4th of July" but with modern mastering loudness. A lot of the death, trash, extreme stuff nowadays is of course heavy, for various reasons, but I find the production and gain a bit too much on the highs and scooped mids when it comes to guitars. I'm definitely not an authority though, because I don't listen to much heavy music, I'm looking for good heavy production references now though. Figured I'd ask the ampz forum first.

Archived