NAD: Ultimate bedroom map

grunge782

• Members

FargenRig.jpg

FargenFront.jpg

http://www.fargenamps.com/mini-plex-mkii

It's a Fargen Miniplex MKII (and my current rig). Great amplifier, but the headshell is huge for the chassis. It also was {censored}ing expensive for a 12 watt amp, but undoubtedly its one hell of an amp:lol:.

Soundwise you really have to mess with the power control, master volume and volume to understand how it works. With the power control, you can add both preamp and poweramp gain at lower volumes. It's kind of weird to hear changing poweramp distortion at the same volume, but it makes a world of difference in getting those Marshall tones.

The 60's/70's/80's switch works just like you think it should and does a nice job of coping those era's for the Marshall line.

I've also put in 6l6's (no need to bias, as well as you have the option to mix and match poweramp tubes). 60's mode with the neck pickup on the strat sounds great with this.

Compared to the Egnater Tweaker 15 and Blackstar HT-5 the Fargen doesn't really sound more hi-fi/clear or "better" per say, but just different. I think what you are really paying for is being able to control your poweramp distortion (which lets you MUCH better get the "Marshall" sound at lower volumes), the 60s/70s/80s switch and the build quality. Through any of those amps I still sound like me and I think people have some really nice options these days for smaller amp heads.

This was pretty much my final tube amp, and it delivers. Between the Fargen and the Tweaker I get all the sounds I need at the volumes I need.

Archived