modded boss sd-1

dxjxrose

• Members

I have a plexi clone with a PPIMV and it has plenty of balls, would i benefit from a sd-1 or similar device?. Sorry but i've never used a boost.

It'll give you a tighter, more compressed, more saturated sound. I would say it's worth a try! I personally think Plexis sound godly boosted!

• Members

It'll give you a tighter, more compressed, more saturated sound. I would say it's worth a try! I personally think Plexis sound godly boosted!

Thanks man! i'll have to try it out. My plexi doesn't play nice some with pedals like the MXR dist+ unless i run the amp clean, so i kind of assumed it would be the same for a boost pedal.

• Members

Ive done a number of the Monte Allums mods.. Some are very good, others... well not for me I guess..

I did 2 SD-1 mods. The one that converts it to the 808 and the GT mod.. Both are kinda cool.. But I would definitely not do the 2x gain mod and really experiment with the chips.. Both of thos mods made mine sound a bit too bright.. To me anyway.. They are clearer tho..

The BD-2 H2O mod was awesome.. Great pedal after the mod..

The DS-1 mod- nothing can save that pedal.

I did the GEQ-7 mod.. I guess its similar to the sniper mod.. Its way quieter than stock expecially when used in front of an amp as a boost. You can boost a lot without all the noise of the stock one..

The DD-3 3switch "analog" mod.. I like it. Sounds more analog.. But its an extremely common mod.. Im sure there is free info out there and parts can easily be sourced from Radio Shack..

PRO-CO rat- Awesome.. Smooooooottttthhhh. Really nice after mod..

Boss Metal zone- he offers a 3 switch mod.. The standard mod takes the clipping diodes out and it becomes almost like a boost.. Very useful as a boost after the mod, especially when you consider the EQ of the pedal. The 2nd part of the switch puts diodes back in. With all the other mods done to the pedal you get the gain back, but without any of that nasally mids of the stock pedal.. Into a clean amp it can get freakin brutal. Ive been meaning to make some clips of this, because its good enough for some legitimate awesome sounding tones with just the pedal providing the distortion.. The 3rd section he uses LEDs to clip instead of diodes.. Its got a bit more of a tube'ish gain and breakup.. Fatter sounding and rounder.. Wouldnt use it for rhythms, but maybe for leads...

Archived