OT: Gloria Allred; antichrist?

EricJohn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No. But just because there is no legal action involved, that doesn't immediately make the accusations false.

You're missing the point. These accusations will never be proven true or false. This is nothing but he said/she said. They will continue to say he did, he will continue to say he didn't. It could be that Cain is telling the truth, it could be that the women are telling the truth. We will never know for sure.

All that the out-of-court settlements mean is that it was cheaper to pay the women than to pay the lawyer to defend the case, even if he was completely innocent. A settlement is never, ever ever an admission of wrongdoing. We recently dealt with something similar here in the office (not sexual harassment, but threat of violence) and I can tell you the accused was 100% innocent, but with cost of defending the case vs. what was proposed on the settlement, the accuser got a fat check and the company saved money. The person accused did not get fired (as neither did Cain).

We will never know the real truth about these allegations. Regardless, it is probably enough to {censored} up his real chance to become the nominee.

• Members

You're missing the point. These accusations will never be proven true or false. This is nothing but he said/she said. They will continue to say he did, he will continue to say he didn't. It could be that Cain is telling the truth, it could be that the women are telling the truth. We will never know for sure.

All that the out-of-court settlements mean is that it was cheaper to pay the women than to pay the lawyer to defend the case, even if he was completely innocent. A settlement is never, ever ever an admission of wrongdoing. We recently dealt with something similar here in the office (not sexual harassment, but threat of violence) and I can tell you the accused was 100% innocent, but with cost of defending the case vs. what was proposed on the settlement, the accuser got a fat check and the company saved money. The person accused did not get fired (as neither did Cain).

We will never know the real truth about these allegations.
Regardless, it is probably enough to {censored} up his real chance to become the nominee.

I hope not, the man is intelligent and certainly possesses the tools to help fix the economy.

• Members

What are the facts we're ignoring? The fact that the National Restaurant Association had two five-figure sexual harassment settlements under Herman Cain?

Both my parents are lawyers and they both told me that a 5-figure settlement on a sexual harassment against a CEO does look like the cases were weak as hell, but with the cost of defending them and mitigating the possible bad press a court case could bring, it is better to just give them a few 10ks and leave it at that.

A strong case against a man in his position would bring hundreds of thousands of dollars or perhaps a million or 3.

You are assuming that every innocent person prefers to go to court than settle, but that is not always the case. Cost is often a determining factor in cases like this.

• Members

WTF did he do to you, that you have it out so bad for the guy?
:confused:

I thought it was innocent until guilty around this place called murricah no?

:idk:

As Billy said, there will be no "proving" anything. He said/she said. So far, I don't find him believable. I can't see any real motivation for these women to lie. Unless you want claim some liberal conspiracy which would be nuts. Liberals are PRAYING that Cain becomes the candidate.

• Members

WTF did he do to you, that you have it out so bad for the guy?
:confused:

I thought it was innocent until guilty around this place called murricah no?

:idk:

Actually, without a court case, there is no guilty OR innocent. A settlement is an agreement that both parties are satisfied with the outcome and no admission of wrongdoing on either side.

Guilty = convicted

Innocent= acquitted

Cain is neither. He is getting his ass kicked over what's pretty much company gossip, turned into lawsuit threat, turned into (relatively) cheap settlement.

• Members

As Billy said, there will be no "proving" anything. He said/she said. So far, I don't find him believable. I can't see any real motivation for these women to lie. Unless you want claim some liberal conspiracy which would be nuts. Liberals are PRAYING that Cain becomes the candidate.

You first line says it all (your right) and its nearly impossible to prove a 'negative'

Its odd that these women come out of the woodwork some 15 years later and Gloria Allred has a "habit' of finding these victims always right around some election process (remember the Illegal that she made 'cry' in front of the cameras against Meg Whitman) its just very very odd

and Cain brought up 1 REALLY good point ------ why THE {censored} would any 'businessperson - non politician' want to try and run for elected office if its just gutter politics and accusations and mudslinging? Its a fair question and this might be a small reason why we get career politicians in DC

Last time i checked we have a {censored} economy, more people on welfare food stamps in this countries history, --- Chinas raping us, OPECs raping and yet the media pays attention to this 24/7. . BTW this is getting more coverage/scrutiny than most of the laws (ala healtchcare) that get passed, its a {censored}ing shame!

:cop:

• Members

It doesnt look any better, but it doesnt prove anything either. BTW are we talking sex, assualt or a gesture? WTF is a gesture? what did he do?

{censored}ing media is turning this into TMZ politics, the country is {censored}ing bleeding out its ass and yet they investigate this MORE than they do the bills, the laws of the dickheads in D.C. and how effective they are, etc, etc. The {censored}ing media in this country is a joke -- they should run a story on there own approval ratings, idiots

:facepalm:

• Members

Both my parents are lawyers and they both told me that
a 5-figure settlement on a sexual harassment against a CEO does look like the cases were weak as hell,
but with the cost of defending them and mitigating the possible bad press a court case could bring, it is better to just give them a few 10ks and leave it at that.

A strong case against a man in his position would bring hundreds of thousands of dollars or perhaps a million or 3.

You are assuming that every innocent person prefers to go to court than settle, but that is not always the case. Cost is often a determining factor in cases like this.

unlike Clinton paying $850,000 for one of his women. Funny none of this came out couple years ago when he ran for Senate

• Members

So the fact that two women have now come forward means nothing? No longer "anonymous."

It means absolutely nothing other than he said/she said. It does not mean it's anonymous. It means it's unproved, which still is and it will always be.

It doesn't matter though, it's still enough to {censored} up his chances of getting the nomination.

EDIT: fixed for originally using the wrong term.

• Members

Yarbicus, you seem like you pretty much have the facts and your mind made up.

I really hope you don't participate in Jury Duty.

Actually, I do jury duty every time I am called.

There are very few actual "facts" here. It it his word against theirs. You seem to have decided to accept his word. I find theirs credible enough at this point. Besides, they have nothing to gain. A few minutes on tv just to be reviled by a large segment of the population is hardly worth it.

• Members

It means absolutely nothing other than hearsay. Hearsay does not mean it's anonymous. It means it's unproved, which still is and it will always be.

It doesn't matter though, it's still enough to {censored} up his chances of getting the nomination.

Since this won't go to court, putting themselves forward means a lot in my book.

• Members

It means absolutely nothing other than hearsay. Hearsay does not mean it's anonymous. It means it's unproved, which still is and it will always be.

Sorry, but that is not at all what hearsay means, man. I think your parents will back me up on that, too.

• Members
And just to clarify, I'm not, in any way, trying to be a prick. You're still pretty much dead-on with your take on the whole deal.

I didn't think you were trying to be a prick at all. Actually, the same goes for Yarbicus and everybody else involved in this thread. As far as I'm concerned we're just having a good discussion/conversation here. :thu:

Archived