Help me find a Strat copy...

bullhead

• Members

Okay...

I would like to buy a Stratocaster. But I do not want to pay to have the name "Fender" on it anywhere unless it's the best option possible. Which brings me to the question: where can i find the value in strats/ copies? Is it japanese? Is it in Korea these days? Is it (gasp) in Mexico? I don't really care where it comes from, I just want it to play and sound like a Stratocaster.

Tenk you veddy much

• Members

I am in love with my Agile Tele knockoff, and I could only imagine that their strat knockoff would be worth looking at! They are Korean made, and to me are very well built (at least the one I got is). I also love the neck, it is super fast and easy to play on with low action.

http://www.rondomusic.com/st802ebwhite.html

st802ebwhite1.jpg

Cole

• Members

I am in love with my Agile Tele knockoff, and I could only imagine that their strat knockoff would be worth looking at! They are Korean made, and to me are very well built (at least the one I got is). I also love the neck, it is super fast and easy to play on with low action.

http://www.rondomusic.com/st802ebwhite.html

st802ebwhite1.jpg

Cole

does Rondo still offer the 802? I was looking at one in olympic white with a maple board FOREVER ago, but never actually pulled the trigger

• Members

The best value?

You will not do better than this. I've played a few, and they're outstanding for the price.

Alder body, Alnico III pickups.

They play and sound like you'd expect a good Strat to. I'd gig with one without any reservation.

The problem with Squier, like Epiphone, is that you have to play a whole {censored}load to find one you like. You'll play a whole bunch of duds, and lots of wastes of wood, but eventually you'll find one good one. Don't really wanna spend a bunch of time playing substandard guitars.

• Members

does Rondo still offer the 802? I was looking at one in olympic white with a maple board FOREVER ago, but never actually pulled the trigger

The picture I posted is the 802, but it has an ebony fretboard. There might be a maple fretboard one still, but I haven't looked for it.

EDIT: I didn't see one with a maple fretboard, but there are plenty Tele knockoffs that have them. For me, it is a toss up between maple and ebony fretboards... They are both awesome!

Cole

• Members

The problem with Squier, like Epiphone, is that you have to play a whole {censored}load to find one you like. You'll play a whole bunch of duds, and lots of wastes of wood, but eventually you'll find one good one. Don't really wanna spend a bunch of time playing substandard guitars.

Not the case with the Classic Vibe series. Quality control is roundly excellent, fretwork is excellent, playability is excellent. I've seen far less duds with the CV's than the Fender MIM's, by a substantial margin.

The CV's put Squier on the map as a quality brand. Not everything Squier puts out is great, but the CV's roundly are good to great.

• Members

You can say the same for Gibson too.

• Members

I've had a crapload of strat copies over the years and the best bang for the buck I've ever had is the Cort G250. Wilkensen tremelo, good solid tuners, abalone dot inlays, above average fit and finish. They can be had for cheap used on ebay ... here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cort-G250-G-250-Electric-Guitar-Strat-style-Wilkinson-/260788524248?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cb83514d8. My current G250 is blue & i paid $120 for it ... awesome guitar for that kind of money !

• Members

I've had a crapload of strat copies over the years and the best bang for the buck I've ever had is the Cort G250. Wilkensen tremelo, good solid tuners, abalone dot inlays, above average fit and finish. They can be had for cheap used on ebay ... here's an example:
. My current G250 is blue & i paid $120 for it ... awesome guitar for that kind of money !

If you can swing $500 or so ... a used Carvin Bolt is an outstanding choice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Assembled-Carvin-Bolt-SSS-Electric-Guitar-w-HSC-/110775594996?pt=Guitar&hash=item19cabd6ff4

• Members

used Highway 1. Get a pre '06 as they're light years ahead of the new ones.

US Standard neck

AlNiCo III pickups

American vintage hardware

Nitro finished body

I bought mine for $400 used, and it's the best guitar I've ever owned. It's incredibly resonant, lively and bold. The US Standard neck with the handrolled fretboard edges is one of the best production necks around, and the thin finish really lets the axe ring out. I haven't had guitar GAS since i bought mine years ago.

Archived