Ever use the Emi Tonker or The Wizard?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I used to run two wizards and two governors in a 4x12. Sounded great for classic rock crunch. Very clear, mid heavy and articulate. I liked the Wizards a lot but sold them when I stopped doing the x pattern thing. Then I started running just the two governors in an open back 2x12. Another great set up but very, very lower mid heavy. Both set ups worked great while I was playing in a two-guitarist rock band. Helped me really jump out of the mix on stage and PA. Now, I'm in a new band as the lone guitarist and it was a little too crunchy for me so I just swapped out one of the governors for a cannibas rex and so far I'm liking the mix. The cannibas has a real smoothness to it and it's added a tighter low end growl to my sound and took away some of the in your face balls out mids the dual governors gave me. The governor is louder for sure but when you solo the highs come out very smooth from the Cannibas.

• Members

Ever notice that whenever someone mentions they love the tonker 99 times out of a 100 its mixed with another speaker? Its not that the Tonker is so great, its that the other speaker is just that good.

Or that it complements other speakers well even if it doesn't sound amazing on its own. I would rather have the Tonker/Texas Heat combo that I have than two Texas Heats.

• Members

I put the tonker and wizard in my vox open back cab and it sounds great. Really nice midrange, plenty of lows, and decent high end. although I don't have much to reference it to. I had WGS Green Berets in it before, but haven't tried the tonker/wizard with my JTM yet.

I'm picking up a touch of fizz with distortion on....but it's really subtle and would probably get covered up in a live mix. :idk:

I'm really impressed with the combination so far. Practice tomorrow, we'll see. :)

• Members

Or that it complements other speakers well even if it doesn't sound amazing on its own. I would rather have the Tonker/Texas Heat combo that I have than two Texas Heats.

I've been curious about this as well but haven't tried it since my TH and Wiz are 8 ohm and my Tonker MOWs are 16s. Try it!!!

• Members

FWIW I have a Tonker Lite with the NEO magnet. The only comparison from this thread is the clean and clear. It just don't wanna break up. I think this is a good thing as I prefer power tube distortion/od. I've found that it's a speaker with no pronounced spikes anywhere. Lows, mids and highs all come out about the same. That may not be what other peeps want, but I want my speaker/s to produce the tone coming from the guitar/amp/pedal combination without adding too much of it's own color.

• Members

Tonker is very dry sounding and flat, nothing really pops out. They can be buzzy sounding however and I wasn't a fan.

Wizard is a much better speaker, kind of like a Celestion ANniversary but more efficient.

I liked putting a Wizard with a Governor if I was to the Eminence thing.

• Members

i've always been pretty intrigued by the tonker-- and fanes in general. a flat, unflappable speaker sounds pretty badass to me- and is the reason i love the dp12a. only thing i was a little worried about was the low end response- which there's a lotta blab that it's really just non-existent.. but most guys don't run their amps hot enough to generate that. think a tonker'd work alright with 20 watts going full bore to fill it out?

• Members

I had an Avatar cab with 2 man o wars and 2 wizards. Couple that with a Laney AOR 50 and a VHT Deliverance, and that, was the most awesome rig I ever heard or played. Sold all of it, and will buy it all back when I get the itch again. Blow your friggin head off awesome power balls testosterone rock n {censored}ing roooooooollllllll.

• Members

i've always been pretty intrigued by the tonker-- and fanes in general. a flat, unflappable speaker sounds pretty badass to me- and is the reason i love the dp12a. only thing i was a little worried about was the low end response- which there's a lotta blab that it's really just non-existent.. but most guys don't run their amps hot enough to generate that. think a tonker'd work alright with 20 watts going full bore to fill it out?

It's an efficient speaker so 20 watts will push it just fine. I know I'm running 35 to my lite and it sounds great at high volume.

• Members

FWIW I have a Tonker Lite with the NEO magnet. The only comparison from this thread is the clean and clear. It just don't wanna break up. I think this is a good thing as I prefer power tube distortion/od. I've found that it's a speaker with no pronounced spikes anywhere. Lows, mids and highs all come out about the same. That may not be what other peeps want, but I want my speaker/s to produce the tone coming from the guitar/amp/pedal combination without adding too much of it's own color.

I've got tonkerlites too, can't comment on the non-neo tonkers. I'd agree that it's a very flat, even response speaker that offers little colouration and no break-up. Seems to me that if your a celestion type person, this isn't going to be the speaker for you. I personally have always preferred the EV/Fane type of more "hi-fi", neutral, no-breakup type vibe. The high frequency response goes a little further up than many guitar speakers, but I wouldn't say the highs themselves are any more emphasized than the other frequencies.

I had them in an open-back cab for a while and was unimpressed. Open-backed cabs are not conducive to a big low end, but it seemed a little worse with these speakers. Put them in a closed back 2x12 (avatar) and they were excellent - nice, full low end, but not flabby at all. Moved them into a whitebox 2x12 and the low end is HUGE. Definitely required some dialing back of the lows on the amp.

So I think it depends on the cab - I would suggest tonkerlites anyway are much better suited to a closed back cab. And the low end is definitely there - it's just tight and punchy as opposed to big and woolly.

• Members

The Tonker is a really high powered speaker IIRC something like 100w+ so 20w isnt really gonna push it. In my case i was running the Tonkers in a closed back smaller Avatar 2x12 and there was no lowend to speak of. I even thought they were maybe out of phase so i wired one up seperately and didnt get any bass.

I was also playing a RedBear thru these and it made it sound like a tiny practice amp with a 5 inch speaker, the lowend just disappeared and the tiny bit that was left was super super super tight, so when you hit a low E it was like a thud rather than a BOOM.

Tonkers are most definately not flat at all nor are they anything like say EV's for uncolored sorts of sounds. The Tonkerlite is supposed to be better but frankly IMO a Rocket 50 is a vast upgrade from a Tonker.

• Members

The Tonker is sensitive and efficient, but low volume brings out all its worst qualities. It's noticeably louder than my Texas Heat until you get up to band practice SPLs, and by that point the combination of the two is roaring.

• Members

I totally dig the tonker and wizard combo in my open back cab.......the band went "WOAH!" when I fired it up with the Egnater Tweaker.

In my practice room (spare room, carpet, stuff in the room, cab near a wall) it sounded pretty bassy.

At practice in a concrete basement without a wall behind the amp.....it didn't sound quite as bassy, but retained that really powerful low, mid and higher mid-range power.

...but they're right, very balanced clean speaker.....the amp does the work. :thu:

• Members

I've only got experience with the Wizard - the Fender 'Red October' HRDIII I just got has one.

Holy cow. It has a little sizzle, so even with the amp clean, if you spank it there is a nice edge on the tone.. With OD it really sings with a nice SRV type of bluesy sound that does well in the country-rock group I'm in.

I had read a few places that the efficiency of the Wizard was pretty good (rated at 103dB***) and I'm guessing its one of the reasons the 40 watt combo is cooking loud enough to top a drum set with the volume on like 4...

I'm looking to get an 8Ohm extension cab to go with the combo, and I'm thinking Red Fang's, Wizards or a combo of the two...

*** The average output across the usable frequency range when applying 1W/1m into the nominal impedance. ie: 2.83 V /8 ohms, 4 V /16 ohms. Eminence response curves are measured under the following conditions: All speakers are tested at 1W/1m using a variety of test set-ups for the appropriate impedance | LMS using 0.25" supplied microphone (software calibrated) mounted 1m from wall/baffle | 2 ft. x 2 ft. baffle is built into the wall with the speaker mounted flush against a steel ring for minimum diffraction | Hafler P1500 Trans-Nova amplifier | 2700 cu. ft. chamber with fiberglass on all six surfaces (three with custom-made wedges). - per Eminence.com specs

• Members

The way Eminence describes the tonker for cleans is accuate i think, but for high gain,not even close. the sound clip doesn't sound like it at all either. The high gain tone is really, really thin and fizzy. It sounds like the speaker is all torn up or something. I think it sounds good with light overdrive on colder sounding amps. The clean tones are really transparent.

Archived