Ever use the Emi Tonker or The Wizard?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

TOnker is based on a Fane. The reviews are kind of soso

Wizard is the G12H30. KILLER. This thing is the loudest speaker I've ever encountered.

I'm reading that right now....they say the Tonker really clean and clear? Maybe people don't like that? :idk:

What amps go well with G12H30s? Marshalls?

• Members

I have two G-Flex cabs, one with swamp thangs, and one with wizards.

I like Swamp Thangs with my Plexi, tames the high end. Most of the clips in my sig were recorded with LP -> dirt -> plexi -> swamp thangs.

I don't think I have any recordings of the wizards.

• Members

I would compare Tonkers to a steaming pile of crap, awful,awful speakers. The only situation that i could recommend them in is if you needed a speaker that sucked all the low end out of your signal along with a lot of the midrange and left a super clanky high end that is somehow shrill yet dull.

Swamp Thangs are great, they have crap tons of low end and while the midrange is sort of relaxed the mids sound sort of mean if that makes sense. They are also very loud.

• Members

Most of my speaker experience has been with Celestions, particularly the Vintage 30 and Classic Lead 80, but my rig is currently full of Emis (see sig for listing and pix). I have a Tonker in my 2x12, and I absolutely love it. It makes a great match for the crunchier Texas Heat that it's paired with.

ETA: Clearly, opinions diverge widely regarding the Tonker. :lol:

• Members

ETA: Clearly, opinions diverge widely regarding the Tonker.

Indeed. I dig the Tonker and the Wizard but only in the "right" applications. I find the Tonker's classic smooth mid range an exceptional compliment to the modern aggression of the Man O War in an X pattern in my 5150 slant cab. A similar combination to V30/G12T-75, they're SPLs are very well matched and stupid loud. I dig the Wizard too but find it a bit harsh/grainy for high gain stuff. However it's detailed articulation and tight punch balance nicely with the subtle crunch of the Texas Heat in my custom JME 2-12. Hard to go wrong with Eminence if you choose the right speaker for the style and sound.

• Members

This isn't helping my wizard/swamp thang x-pattern gas
:mad:

Initially I tried my 412 w Swamp Thangs/other speakers with V30's in an X pattern. I didn't really see a big deal difference of X pattern over standard mount or the other method of two low below/two high tops which is how I have them now, but with ST on Top and EV's on bottom. :idk:

• Members

What blends well with the G12T30/Wizard? Pretty much anything thick and bassy? The G12T30/Wizard is like a 30w Greenback, or at least similar to?

The Tonker is like a G12T75?

Sounds like those two would work well together?

A lot of the Eminence speakers seem appealing.....

I've got a lot of warehouse speakers sitting around from when they were cheaper......Veterans, BL80, and GBs......those are okay sounding, but they've always had a darker sound to them.

• Members

What blends well with the G12T30/Wizard? Pretty much anything thick and bassy? The G12T30/Wizard is like a 30w Greenback, or at least similar to?

The Tonker is like a G12T75
?

Sounds like those two would work well together?

A lot of the Eminence speakers seem appealing.....

Maybe spec says so, but the sound says NOT ! Tonkers? idk think Country guitar amps maybe. I've heard a lot of country musicians adding them to Fender or Clones of Bad Cat/ Matchless/ DRZ

• Members

Oh, I just read the Tonker is similar to the Fane AXA.

I know even less about Fane speakers. :o

Redcoat Series

Red Ryder = G12-80 (Classic Lead 80)

Man O War = G12T-75

The Wizard = G12H-30

The Tonespotter = G12T-65

The Governor = Vintage 30

Private Jack = G12M Greenback

Red Fang = G12 Alnico Blue

Commonwealth 12 = JBL E120

Also noteworthy

DeltaPro 12A = EVM12L

Read more:
http://ztalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cabs&action=display&thread=5720#ixzz1iayEwDlQ

Redcoat Series:

Private Jack= Greenback without the bass/lower-mid mush

Stonehenge= British crunch with crisp mids and a bright top end, more edge

The Governor= Vintage 30 without the icepick upper mids

Red Fang= Celestion AlNiCo Blue with rounder top end

Red Ryder= Classic Lead 80, well balanced, very articulate, tight and punchy, smooth response with OD

The Wizard= 75hz G12H30 with a slightly tamer top

The Tonespotter= G12-65

Man O War= G12T-75 with a smoother top end, loud, articulate and responsive

The Tonker= fat and round tone, warm, smooth and clean, pronounced bottom end, lots of presence, it was not our intention, but people are comparing this to the old Fanes

TonkerLite= 2" neodymium, similar tone to Tonker, but more open, a little more balance and top end and less lower mid growl, still fat and round sounding, but not as much as the Tonker

Patriot Series

Commonwealth 12= JBL E120 very warm and rich, full, smooth, clean and well defined with great presence, likes the OD

Blue Tick Hound= smooth and creamy, not very efficient, tight and darker sounding, grungy/heavy metal tone

Black Powder= moderate bottom end, but tight, very percussive, upper mid and top end emphasis, very crisp, raw and bright

Swamp Thang= Big tone, very efficient, slow break up, great bottom end, smooth top end, very thick and chunky, amazing Fender clean, not a heavy metal tone in my opinion, but takes pedals and overdrive very well

Red White And Blues= moderate bottom end, very bluesy tone, warm and smooth, lots of mids, a bit bright

Screamin Eagle= very bright and articulate, tight bottom end, crisp mids 1.75" voice coil version of the Texas Heat

Texas Heat= warm, fat tone, nice bottom end less top end, but still has bite and clarity, crisp mids, touch sensitive, plenty of crunch, I like to call this the Marshall meets Fender speaker because it has American voiced cone with some British characteristics

Lil' Texas= 2" neodymium, some similarities to Texas Heat, top end bite, crisp mids, tight low end, very balanced American tone

Cannabis Rex= ToneTubby??? Same idea with the hemp cone, very clean and full, nice bottom end, warm and abundant mids, nice definition on the top end, but more subdued than most 12s, good to tame a bright amp, slow break up, with OD, very woody sounding

10" Models

Redcoat Series:

Ramrod= loud, meaty tone, chunky low end that is very pronounced for a 10", warm mids, nice overtones, singing top end

Patriot Series:

The Copperehead= vintage, balanced, tight, warm mids, top end bite, a little honk mixed with a touch of blues

Ragin Cajun= very modern and more aggressive, very responsive, touch sensitive, pronounced bottom end for a 10", very efficient, crisp mids, bell like quality on the top end, cleans up very nice and can get really raw with lots of edge with overdrive (like a multiple personality), currently our best selling 10"

Delta Demon= used by blues endorsing artist Tab Benoit, not very efficient, dark, creamy tone

Lil' Buddy= Hemp cone, very smooth and less defined than other 10s, very clean and full, slow break up, crunchy with OD

15" Model

Redcoat Series:

Big Ben= Big, clean and warm, throaty, plenty of bass, smooth on top, scooped

Patriot Series:

Commonwealth 15= JBL E130 same tonal characterisitics as the 12" in a 15"

Read more:
http://ztalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cabs&action=display&thread=5720#ixzz1iayEwDlQ

• Members

I have a 2x12 cab with the wizard/swamp thang combination.

In my personal experience, the wizard sounds bad "physically underneath" the Swamp Thang. Sounds great with the Wizard up top though.

However........

this will sound nuts since everyone is obsessed with X-patterns

............2 swamp thangs on the bottom, and 2 wizards up top would be freakin killer.

• Members

Funny thing....I was playing in a stoner rock band for a few years until recently.......anyway, I'm now helping an old friend's cover band for one last gig this month.

Went to practice and it was SOOOOO quiet. I had my JTM on like 1, and it was loud. :facepalm::idk:

JTM on 1 with greenbacks for a rock cover band? :mad:

I was used to playing pretty loud with ear plugs at practice......so strange to be able to play without earplugs and not even feel like I need them.

• Members

ETA: Clearly, opinions diverge widely regarding the Tonker.

Indeed. I dig the Tonker and the Wizard but only in the "right" applications. I find the Tonker's classic smooth mid range an exceptional compliment to the modern aggression of the Man O War in an X pattern in my 5150 slant cab. A similar combination to V30/G12T-75, they're SPLs are very well matched and stupid loud. I dig the Wizard too but find it a bit harsh/grainy for high gain stuff. However it's detailed articulation and tight punch balance nicely with the subtle crunch of the Texas Heat in my custom JME 2-12. Hard to go wrong with Eminence if you choose the right speaker for the style and sound.

Ever notice that whenever someone mentions they love the tonker 99 times out of a 100 its mixed with another speaker? Its not that the Tonker is so great, its that the other speaker is just that good.Usually people mix them with Swamp Thangs, Wizards or even Man o Wars and all these are great speakers and are obviously carrying the Tonker quite a bit.

Seriously id rather have a Rocket 50, any Blue Marvel, any of the Crate Designed speakers or a cup and a string rather than get a Tonker.

• Members

I think I'll try my Tonker and Wizard in my 2x12 open back Vox cab and see how it goes. Sounds like they're both clean clear speakers better suited for a clean channel. :o We'll see. :)

(I would have commented about the tone, instead of asking the question....but it's been at least 5 years since I've had them installed in a cab. They're hibernating in my basement.)

Archived