Best bias probe?

Crunchtime

• Members

i use the weber one. the bias rite. and a multimeter. one bias trim pot, two EL34s.

which id have been smarter and gotten the right angle ones though
:cop:

I never heard of those. Just looked them up. I've got the Weber also, and the right angles are just an adapter you plug your bias rite into. Great idea!

And to Wyatt and NaturalBornBoy...One of my amps is a Line 6 Spider Valve head. It's got 4 trimpots, one for each tube :facepalm:

• Members

And to Wyatt and NaturalBornBoy...One of my amps is a Line 6 Spider Valve head. It's got
trimpots, one for each tube
:facepalm:

In that instance, I can see the need for 4 probes but in my case where I have 2 trimpots, one for each pair, is it right to say that I only need 2 probes? One for each outermost tube?

• Members

In that instance, I can see the need for 4 probes but in my case where I have 2 trimpots, one for each pair, is it right to say that I only need 2 probes? One for each outermost tube?

Yes, especially if you know the tubes are matched pretty well. I only have two probes on my weber. It just takes a little longer with that example.

• Members

I never heard of those. Just looked them up. I've got the Weber also, and the right angles are just an adapter you plug your bias rite into. Great idea!

And to Wyatt and NaturalBornBoy...One of my amps is a Line 6 Spider Valve head. It's got
trimpots, one for each tube
:facepalm:

yeah they sell them modularly, as in, you can buy the whole getup, or jsut the probe if you already have a multimeter, etc. i have to remove my chassis when i bias becaus ei didnt get teh 90 degree probes because i am a raging moron.

• Members

Yeah, that's the Alessandro unit. It measures plate current directly.

Pretty pricey stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alessandro-Bias-and-Matching-Meter-/230320359614?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a029c8be#ht_1455wt_1398

What's the advantage of using the Alessandro as opposed to using a digital multi-meter to bias my DSL?

• Members

You don't need a probe at all with the DSL. A regular multimeter will do. You will be measuring mV not mA, so set your multi-meter correctly. The ideal setting for the 100w is between 80 and 90, but I think 90 is too hot for my taste.

Connect the black wire of your multimeter on the middle prong and use the red wire to test the left and right prongs. You will notice that as one side goes up, the other goes down, so you have to adjust each side until both sides are balanced.

That's all there is to it. Super easy.

• Members

You don't need a probe at all with the DSL. A regular multimeter will do. You will be measuring mV not mA, so set your multi-meter correctly. The ideal setting for the 100w is between 80 and 90, but I think 90 is too hot for my taste.

Connect the black wire of your multimeter on the middle prong and use the red wire to test the left and right prongs. You will notice that as one side goes up, the other goes down, so you have to adjust each side until both sides are balanced.

That's all there is to it. Super easy.

Thanks Billy :)

I guess with something like the Alessandro unit, you can see the bias values of both sides at the same time, as opposed to having to switch the red wire from one prong to the other.

• Members

Thanks Billy
:)

I guess with something like the Alessandro unit, you can see the bias values of both sides at the same time, as opposed to having to switch the red wire from one prong to the other.

Sure. but who the hell wants to pay almost 200 {censored}ing dollars just so they don't have to switch a little wire from a side to the other? :lol:

You don't need that {censored} bro. $15 multimeter from Radio Shack. That's all you need.

• Members

Sure. but who the hell wants to pay almost 200 {censored}ing dollars just so they don't have to switch a little wire from a side to the other?
:lol:

You don't need that {censored} bro. $15 multimeter from Radio Shack. That's all you need.

I know bro :lol: It's not like I have 200 to spare anyway :lol:

Gonna pick up a multi-meter next week. Do they all come with alligator clips or is that an add-on accessory?

• Members

Pretty pricey stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alessandro-Bias-and-Matching-Meter-/230320359614?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a029c8be#ht_1455wt_1398

What's the advantage of using the Alessandro as opposed to using a digital multi-meter to bias my DSL?

You don't actually need anything to set the bias beyond your eyes, ears and a screwdriver to adjust the trimpot. The reasons why you adjust the bias are: so the valves don't red plate, so the amp sounds/reacts how you like it and to increase the longevity of the valves by not running them hotter than necessary -- this last one is optional. :lol:

So, in an amp with one bias trimpot you can start it off on its coldest setting and gradually bring it up until the amp sounds how you like it. As long as the valves aren't red plating then job done.

If the amp has more than one bias trimpot then you probably want to start taking measurements as it's simper to tell how close the valves are to being balanced than without one.

The main reason for having an analogue unit that measures plate current directly, like the Alessandro, is to balance and match the valves accurately. This is done by adjusting the bias trimpots, the balance trimpot (if the amp has one) and physically swapping around or replacing the valves for a better match. The reasons to do this are to get the best possible sound, reduce/eliminate hum and, in the worst case scenario, to avoid nuking the output transfromer. Valves may be balanced at idle but when you start playing they can turn out to be badly matched. The milliameters will clearly show this.

What you want to do when biasing the DSL with a multimeter is to ensure both sides are as equal as possible. And instead of just blindly biasing to some random figure use your ears to bias it as cold as you can with the amp still sounding good. That will ensure you're not needlesly burning off valve life.

Archived