Best bias probe?

Crunchtime

• Members

I'm wanting to buy a bias probe so I can bias my amp myself. I wish all amps had rear bias points and adjust. Anyway, I saw this one ebay. Its a bit expensive but seems quality. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Analog-Meter-tube-amp-bias-probe-tool-No-Batteries-6L6-6V6-EL34-KT66-KT88-/120840909490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c22adf2b2

• Members

So that would mean 70ma per side on my 100 right?

Marshall recommends 90ma per side on the 100 but isn't that a tad high?

I may have been higher. I can't say for sure, that was at least a couple years ago. 90 a side does seem a bit high to me. I know when I had my Peters 50 watt, James Peters recommended 30-40 per tube when using EL34's so 35 seemed a safe median to me. Also, I believe at the time I got the DSL, I found a lot of good info on the Marshall forum.

• Members

How did you measure plate voltage with a multimeter?

You go inside the amp and measure the DC voltage between pins 3 and 8 of one of the power tubes. You really only have to do it once. It won't change with the tubes, and ballpark is fine because it changes relative to the wall current anyway.

But there are probes/bias meters that let you measure plate voltage and bias current.

• Members

How do I use something like this

to bias a quad of power tubes?

Honestly, you don't need more than one probe, though it takes a little longer, assuming...

1. Ideally, your tubes will be matched within 5mA for EL34's.

2.Very, very few product amps use individual bias, you have one bias pot to bias all 4 tubes.

So, you use the probe with one tube, dial in the necessary voltage on the bias pot. And then you swap the probe from tube to tube to check the bias off all four tubes. Assuming the tubes are matched close enough, you may be done, but if one is a little hotter than the rest, you may want to set the bias to make sure it's not dissipation too much and then double check the rest of the tubes. While having more probes may speed things up some, you still have to install and remove a probe to all four tubes, and you can bias an amp within 10 minutes with one probe.

As for the meter you linked, it still does not do plate voltage.

You can buy a single probe for ~$30 to use with any DMM.

• Members

Honestly, you don't need more than one probe, though it takes a little longer, assuming...

1. Ideally, your tubes will be matched within 5mA for EL34's.

2.Very, very few product amps use individual bias, you have one bias pot to bias all 4 tubes.

So, you use the probe with one tube, dial in the necessary voltage on the bias pot. And then you swap the probe from tube to tube to check the bias off all four tubes. Assuming the tubes are matched close enough, you may be done, but if one is a little hotter than the rest, you may want to set the bias to make sure it's not dissipation too much and then double check the rest of the tubes. While having more probes may speed things up some, you still have to install and remove a probe to all four tubes, and you can bias an amp within 10 minutes with one probe.

My DSL 100 has 2 bias adjustment pots. Each for a pair of 34s

• Members

I'm wanting to buy a bias probe so I can bias my amp myself. I wish all amps had rear bias points and adjust. Anyway, I saw this one ebay. Its a bit expensive but seems quality. What do you think?

I can't make out what model the milliammeters are but if they're OK quality i.e.

Archived