Gear you regret giving up

cacheek

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same two answers I give every time: :cry:

1) Mesa/Boogie 4x12, the kind with two EV-12Ls in the closed bottom half and two Celestion CL80s in the open top half. There was not an amp that didn't sound amazing through that cab, and the options for live and studio micing were second to none. I got divorced, moved halfway across the country, and couldn't justify paying to keep it in storage.

2) 1989 Fender American Standard Strat, lefty. My first nice guitar, a graduation present from my dad, and I sold it because I was broke. If I could find whoever had that guitar now, I would pay twice what I sold it for to get it back. :(

• Members

Same two answers I give every time:
:cry:

1) Mesa/Boogie 4x12
, the kind with two EV-12Ls in the closed bottom half and two Celestion CL80s in the open top half. There was not an amp that didn't sound amazing through that cab, and the options for live and studio micing were second to none. I got divorced, moved halfway across the country, and couldn't justify paying to keep it in storage.

Oh man.....

I have two beat-to-hell half-back mesa vertical 2x12s that I sing the praises of everytime a "what's the best 2x12" thread pops up. Out of my COLD DEAD HANDS I say.

I pity you.

• Members
Same two answers I give every time:
:cry:

1) Mesa/Boogie 4x12
, the kind with two EV-12Ls in the closed bottom half and two Celestion CL80s in the open top half. There was not an amp that didn't sound amazing through that cab, and the options for live and studio micing were second to none. I got divorced, moved halfway across the country, and couldn't justify paying to keep it in storage.

2) 1989 Fender American Standard Strat, lefty
. My first nice guitar, a graduation present from my dad, and I sold it because I was broke. If I could find whoever had that guitar now, I would pay twice what I sold it for to get it back.
:(

I feel the same about my old Lonestar Strat. First great guitar I ever owned. Traded it on a whim. Wish I had it back.

• Members

I've got a few things I wouldn't mind having back...

early Peavey 5150 head (it was my first "real" amp and I loved it)
Mesa Triple Rec
Jackson Kelly (it was a neck through model, but not the Friedman sig, so a KE-2?)
Sovtek Big Muff (green one)
Aguilar DB359
Taylor 6 series 12 string

I'm sure there was other stuff, but I can't remember. I've had a ton a gear, and I still do.

• Members

wow.. a lot actually.. I went through a real hard time in '09 and had to sell all my gear pretty much... but I think the one I regret selling the most is my old Warmoth Strat. That guitar was really special to me and cannot be replaced. The other stuff I can buy back if I feel like it, but that guitar was one of a kind.

• Members

I had a late 80s model Ibanez S-series that was built in the Bethelem, PA facility. Looked a lot like the guitar Skolnick played during the Souls of Black era. Played like butter. Still don't know why I sold it. :facepalm:

Also had a Randall solid state 2x12...no idea what the model was, it was that long ago...that sounded absolutely awesome, but I was a n00b at the time, and thought that I needed a head and 4x12. :facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

I had the first Egnater IE4 prototype (serial #PT01) that Bruce gave to Michael Thompson. I bought it from one of Mike's studio buds. Channel 4 on that thing sounded like God clearing the back of his throat. Hell, all four channels sounded amazing. It was the only IE4 I've ever played thru that actually sounded like 4 completely different amps. Should've hung onto that one.

Archived