could/would you play a gig with your guitar, amp and tuner?

sleewell

• Members

if you asked me this last week before i got the mako i would have said no. my fender def needs pedals and so did the studio pre.

now i totally would be happy going guitar > tuner > amp. as long as i am in tune i have enough different sounds using my vol and tone knobs to make it not boring and cover all our material. its such a different feeling than previous rigs when i had at least 5-10 pedals.

its taken a while for this new project to get rolling but i think were ready to start playing real soon, i am so pumped. we recorded a real rough 3 song demo this week at practice for my buddy who manages a local bar so i think we are set. been over 1.5 years since ive been on stage, can.not.wait.

bill

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah. But I'd go without the tuner too.

In fact I have never used a tuner to tune up with the bassist or other guitar player. Before the show or even on stage during setup we just make sure we are good and then knock out the set.. I've never once heard anything about our tuning from the crowd or what have u. So it must be good enough..

So the answer to your question is no I don't use a tuner..

Lol

• Members

I kinda need a noise gate for some of the stops...I'd have to use a bit dryer tone than I like to use on the no-pedal rule. Other than that, I pretty much only use effects on my leads to make them stand out a bit...so I could probably survive a gig without my chorus and delay. I guess you can say I'd be at a sliiight disadvantage, but I could grin and bear it.

• Members

Yeah. But I'd go without the tuner too.

In fact I have never used a tuner to tune up with the bassist or other guitar player. Before the show or even on stage during setup we just make sure we are good and then knock out the set.. I've never once heard anything about our tuning from the crowd or what have u. So it must be good enough..

So the answer to your question is no I don't use a tuner..

Lol

OMG, can not STAND watching bands like this :facepalm: guitars fall out of tune...you play hard, strings stretch, humidity, temperature...all things that cause slight intonation issues...And a trained ear picks that {censored} up like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Then again, if you're using death metal gain, it probably doesn't matter because it's a wall of distortion anyway :lol:

• Members

No, I need the effects, there are some clean parts that really need the chorus pedal and I use the wah on some solos.

I mean, I could get through the gig if I had to, but it wouldn't sound as good. I use very few effects but they ARE a big part of my tone.

Its funny, I played a gig the other day with no effects and I had to rewrite some parts so they wouldn't sound lame.

Archived