So with all this talk about profiling...

teemuk

• Members

...I just started to wonder, how long before manufacturers start adding "copy protections" to their amps?

Basically circuits that would detect a profiling attempt and proceed to output a signal that messes up the profiling attemot, shuts the amp down, voids a warranty, etc. You name it.

Some people goop stuff to hide their IP, why wouldn't this be the next logical step.

:cop:

• Members

you can profile just by mic'ing a speaker, so I don't see how you could detect that from the amp itself.

But the other thread did get me thinking - these profilers are like mp3's all over again - lesser copies that will be made/traded for free.

{censored}storm to follow.

• Members

Ah, the zent stalking crowd has arrived.
:)
Good morning. Wait all night for me to post? How does it feel to be my mental slave? :poke:
:wave::p

Zent stalking? :lol: You give yourself too much credit gramps. I entered a thread about profiling and you just happened to be here. I should've known though. God knows you talk about nothing else. Hell you don't even talk about farts or poop anymore. Just 1011001100

• Members

Zent stalking?
:lol:
You give yourself too much credit gramps. I entered a thread about profiling and you just happened to be here. I should've known though. God knows you talk about nothing else. Hell you don't even talk about farts or poop anymore. Just 1011001100

Maybe you should have addressed the topic instead of coming after me then. Just sayin. Two posts here and both about me. I PWN U! Go find how many threads you post in where I randomly come in and attack you......that would be zero sonny boy.

It's about amplifiers incorporating copy protection in case you didn't notice.

• Members

Maybe you should have addressed the topic instead of coming after me then. Just sayin. Two posts here and both about me. I PWN U! Go find how many threads you post in where I randomly come in and attack you......that would be zero sonny boy.

It's about amplifiers incorporating copy protection in case you didn't notice.

I have nothing to add to the topic. I came in to see what was said. You're a different sort of case than most of us here though. You're a well know zealot that implodes from time to time. :lol: What exactly woud you come attack me about? Being awesome everywhere I turn up? Anyway, it's your fault for being a ******. :cop: Stop it and no one will mess with you.

• Members

...I just started to wonder, how long before manufacturers start adding "copy protections" to their amps?

Basically circuits that would detect a profiling attempt and proceed to output a signal that messes up the profiling attemot, shuts the amp down, voids a warranty, etc. You name it.

Some people goop stuff to hide their IP, why wouldn't this be the next logical step.

I was wondering the same thing -- similar to my musing on whether the KPA has DRM-style facilities for loadable objects.

Also: too bad this thread has already been destroyed.

• Members

I was wondering the same thing -- similar to my musing on whether the KPA has DRM-style facilities for loadable objects.

Also: too bad this thread has already been destroyed.

Sorry man. Tried to post an on topic post but haters will hate. I'll just ignore the haters from now on.

• Members

Definitely the best way to deal with it. I don't see a snax or KPA in my future but I read almost every post about them because I love to hear about the technology and its progression. You were jumped right off the bat, but it is still best to just let it go.

• Members

Sorry man. Tried to post an on topic post but haters will hate. I'll just ignore the haters from now on.

Who are you kidding? Even if you don't post we still know you want to kill us so we still smile while you die inside. ;)

And we're not haters. A hater is someone that gets angry at your happiness or success. You clearly have neither. :o

• Members

Definitely the best way to deal with it. I don't see a snax or KPA in my future but I read almost every post about them because I love to hear about the technology and its progression. You were jumped right off the bat, but it is still best to just let it go.

Jim, no one got jumped. I made a comment towards him and his butthurt came out.

• Members

I think its just too late. There are too many amps out there in the world that don't have it already and the most iconic amps that most guitarists want to use don't have it.

New "iconic" amps haven't come out since the recto and 6505 hit the market. There are some nice new amps that are recognizable out there (Matchless, Diezel Herbert, Engl, Divided by 13, VHT, etc....) with some good and somewhat unique tones, but the industry has been a bit stagnant since the 90's when rock and metal amps couldn't go much further due to the amount of gain pretty much hitting a limit.

Most people want to use a Fender, Vox, Marshall, Orange, Soldano, Mesa and/or Peavey 6505. Honestly the biggest thing to hit the market since 2000 IMO have been these modellers like the Axe-fx and the Kemper.

• Members

you can profile just by mic'ing a speaker, so I don't see how you could detect that from the amp itself.

Well, you have things like virus scanners that work by detecting suspicious "virus like" pieces of code within a code; so, similarly there could be for instance an AD converter + some waveform memory + some well-thought DSP that detect suspicous signal inputs having certain patterns that seem like they could be an input to an impulse response sampling device (or whatever you call those things)... for example. All I'm saying is that as a feature it's naturally something that yet has to be invented and put in use but folks can built amps that profile other amps so why couldn't they build a device to prevent it too. :idk:

I think its just too late. There are too many amps out there in the world that don't have it already and the most iconic amps that most guitarists want to use don't have it.

I kinda agree with you on that but it hasn't stopped people who practically just clone those circuits to be very, very secretive about their own amps. (And besides them you have plenty of folks who develop unique, new stuff and want to be secretive about their IP). Even with all those hundreds of iconic amps out there how many boutique builders are still gooping their circuit boards, or at least refusing to provide schematics to their amps (even if their amp was nothing but a clone of some classic amp). This is the kind of demographic I'd expect might put in use "copy protection" in ther amps. ...Not to mention, I'm pretty sure there's a small market niche of somewhat elitist people who love the idea that their $$$ amp remains more unique because folks can't simply "profile" it but instead, to access teh toanz, they must get the actual amp, which in practice might involve several months or years on a waiting list, cash deposits, famous referrers, audition by the boutique builder himself, secret handshakes, etc. :cop:

• Members

New "iconic" amps haven't come out since the recto and 6505 hit the market. There are some nice new amps that are recognizable out there (Matchless, Diezel Herbert, Engl, Divided by 13, VHT, etc....) with some good and somewhat unique tones, but the industry has been a bit stagnant since the 90's when rock and metal amps couldn't go much further due to the amount of gain pretty much hitting a limit.

Most people want to use a Fender, Vox, Marshall, Orange, Soldano, Mesa and/or Peavey 6505. Honestly the biggest thing to hit the market since 2000 IMO have been these modellers like the Axe-fx and the Kemper.

Yep.

• Members

Doesn't the KPA run an input signal through the amp and then listen via the mic? If so, then it probably would be pretty easy to come up with something that would detect the input signal's "fingerprint" and somehow defeat it. It probably isn't worth the trouble but it seems that there is always someone out there that places an unrealistically high value on their amp designing chops. I just think the whole amp IP protection thing is interesting in theory.

• Members

I kinda agree with you on that but it hasn't stopped people who practically just clone those circuits to be very, very secretive about their own amps. (And besides them you have plenty of folks who develop unique, new stuff and want to be secretive about their IP). Even with all those hundreds of iconic amps out there how many boutique builders are still gooping their circuit boards, or at least refusing to provide schematics to their amps (even if their amp was nothing but a clone of some classic amp). This is the kind of demographic I'd expect might put in use "copy protection" in ther amps. ...Not to mention, I'm pretty sure there's a small market niche of somewhat elitist people who love the idea that their $$$ amp remains more unique because folks can't simply "profile" it but instead, to access teh toanz, they must get the actual amp, which in practice might involve several months or years on a waiting list, cash deposits, famous referrers, audition by the boutique builder himself, secret handshakes, etc.

I can definitely see that from some of the TGP crowd. But I guess I don't really care about that then :lol:. I think most guitarists will be happy with the amps that are already available, and this profiling technology might really take off with that (have yet to hear it in person). I'd much rather have the profile of a good vintage fender bassman, JMP or JCM800 than the latest bumblefuckface$$$ clone by some basement builder.

Archived