Dilema! Vox AC30.....now I may want one of these. I'm confused

TU BE

• Members

Well, tonight I played on a Vox Valvetronix on the AC30TB setting and the tone was so nice. I asked my other guitarist if this is close to what the "real thing" sounds like and he said yes but of course the real one sounded BETTER. I have played one but it's been a long time. I remember liking it but, needless to say, my taste in tone has changed since then so now I would probably LOVE it.

So, I wanna go try out a real AC30. I'm so confused facepalm.gif

I think perhaps I should not be hasty and just try out as many amps as possible before making the decision on an amp.

• Members

Great amp, buy with confidence?

Seriously, what's not to like about an ac30?

Either crank the master and run it "clean" with the channel volumes as a pedal amp, or utilize the halfway decent master volume and crank the piss out of it. Nothing sounds quite like it idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO

View Post

Dude. Tele + AC30 is win as {censored}. Tele + Proco Rat + AC30 is a level of win that is measured on the Richter scale.

tomvandeven on here has one of the white handwired ac30s and a rat that has some kind of jesus christ mod on it (he said it's just the standard resistor mod + lube knob, but there's something inherently different about his. It sounds like fire from heaven and golden liquid and bacon).

Look up his profile and find some of his clips. It's goddamned ridiculous.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf

View Post

tomvandeven on here has one of the white handwired ac30s and a rat that has some kind of jesus christ mod on it (he said it's just the standard resistor mod + lube knob, but there's something inherently different about his. It sounds like fire from heaven and golden liquid and bacon).

Look up his profile and find some of his clips. It's goddamned ridiculous.

Dude, I don't have to look it up. He was doing Thrice clips. And I believe it was Ruiz mods plus something else, I can't remember what the extra bits were.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO

View Post

Dude, I don't have to look it up. He was doing Thrice clips. And I believe it was Ruiz mods plus something else, I can't remember what the extra bits were.

the thing sounds like lightning-soaked tittes in the hands of Andre the Giant on a stony beach under a volcano

• Members

A friend of mine has one of the handwired AC30's and it's the best amp I've ever heard, by far. The crunch tones are insanely awesome. It's a really high fidelity amp. Clear defined notes. Thing rocks. I hate it because I can't get an amp that sounds better than that. I can't afford one.

• Members

I just picked up a Korg re-issue AC30, one that's made in England. It's an awesome amp. My tele sounds amazing through it. Mine doesn't have a master volume, so it's lout as all get out. Simply put, it's a classic amp, and it's hard to go wrong with it.

• Members

I have been trying to figure out how to land an ac30 and another bassman 4x10 combo to run a w/d/w rig with the Rocker 30 for some time now.

Not for CLG, because it really has no place there. But just to have love.gif

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I run a pretty complex rig using an AC30 and a 70s Super Reverb. basically i run a chain of effects (comp>drive>mod>delay etc.) to the top boost side of my AC30 and another separate chain thats similar to the Vib. channel of my Super( set up with an ABY switch ). then a separate completely wet channel that get split stereo into the normal channel of each amp. both wet and dry signal have their own EB volume pedals to control the amount of signal to either the wet or dry paths.

i think that may have been a bit confusing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel.rhys

View Post

I run a pretty complex rig using an AC30 and a 70s Super Reverb. basically i run a chain of effects (comp>drive>mod>delay etc.) to the top boost side of my AC30 and another separate chain thats similar to the Vib. channel of my Super( set up with an ABY switch ). then a separate completely wet channel that get split stereo into the normal channel of each amp. both wet and dry signal have their own EB volume pedals to control the amount of signal to either the wet or dry paths.

i think that may have been a bit confusing.

Sounds cool! Got any clips?wave.gif

As for the AC30 thing, yep they are good. I like jumpering the channels on mine and running them both nearly at breakup with the master cranked (or bypassed if you can do that). I actually prefer doing that then using pedals for distortion rather than cranking the amp up, you just need to find the right pedals for your taste.

At the moment I'm experimenting with an an AC30hw/Mesa Tremoverb rig. It's taking a bit of time to work out the best way to use both amps, but I'm getting there.

Archived