ok name great guitarists that NOBODY ever talks about

jnurp

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

....Bill Nelson and Ollie Halsall, certainly. Also - mentioning those who gathered around Kevin Ayers for a while - Mike Oldfield, who's a bit lyrical for me but a really melodic lead player.

While I'm here - Tom Verlaine, the sonic equivalent of Jackson Pollock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PL634g_8g

At the other end of the chaos-to-structure spectrum, Jeff Baxter, who everyone knows was great, but tends to get forgotten because he was never a name in his own right.

• Members

John McLaughlin. For me personally he is the greatest guitarist of all time, as well as one of the greatest composers of all time...that would be true for me if only based on the first 3 Mahavishnu Orhestra albums, not to mention his work with Miles Davis, his solo stuff, as well as his work with Shakti!!!! To me his musical output is so far and above so many of the other household guitar names that I just don't get it...I realize that the genres he plays are much more obscure and less mainstream than that of Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen, etc. etc. but even so, I really believe he deserves all the acclaim that all the "household name" greats get and then some....

Archived