alright already enough posting, dare I ask an amp question . . .

6stringmenace

• Members

Played a Deuce Peavey amp, Power tubes only no preamp tubes

played an Ampeg 2x8 small/big amp, preamp tube (1), no powertubes . . .

Both sounded great. Cleans were punchy and full, could've noodled for hours

They are both old amps so the overdrive would fart out but both had a very good grit gong on with them. Didn't have a chance to hook an overdrive to them.

Tube tones originate in Power tubes or Preamp tubes?????

What doth the HCAF sayeth?

• Members

Tube tone comes from both. I don't think you're asking this, but just in case, the first tubes in the signal path will be the preamp tubes. Of course, having both pre and power tubes gives more tube toanz. :love:

Related question: Are either pre or power tubes in the signal path responsible for more of the tube tone/characteristics such as feel, even order harmonics, etc.?

• Members
thanks for the reply rushtallica . . .

The only reason I ask is b/c I'm thinking of getting the Deuce amp, Peavey's are built like tanks, and having to only worry about one preamp tube to swap out will really simplifiy things when troubleshooting . . .

If I had to choose between an amp with pre or power tubes only, it'd be kind of tough because an amp like the Marshall VS100 had a preamp tube (I think only one) but sounded pretty cool for some types of heavier music. Then again, if you have power tubes such as in the Peavey, especially if it has an fx loop, you can run other preamps or something like a Line 6 POD into the power section for added tube tone. :cool:

• Members

I am not sure if I'm actually going to answer any of your questions, but you got me thinking....

I can essentially walk into any store and have fun with any of the amps. All tube, hybrid, no tubes....no matter. Same with my amps at home (all different!). There are times I prefer a solid state amp. For example, when I am earnestly rehearsing scales, chords and other lessons, I like using my little red Guitar Research combo. Really helps me focus on the actual mechanics and detail of the exercises I am doing. If I want low volume Zakk/Dime tone, I like using my big Randall combo. That tone can be hard to get at low volume on some larger all-tube amps.

Obviously, at a big gig, the GR amp won't do. So I chose the Twin or half stack amp.

So I wouldn't overly worry about tubes/no tubes/some tubes.....if you are choosing the right tool for what you do.

It seems to me that preamp tubes are more important at lower volumes and poweramp tubes really tube it up at higher volumes. As I said, I've had good experiences with all the formats.

• Members

dont remember if it had an effects loop . . . I usually have better luck with my dirt pedals before the amp though . . .

Dirt pedals always sound like ass when you run them through the fx loop. However, things like delay and reverb do much better running through the loop rather than out front.

• Members

if you want "tube toan", you need a tube amp...which neither of those is.

my preference would be for an all tube preamp section and a SS power section, if i have to compromise...unfortunately, neither of those amps is that, either.

if you like one of them, get it.

troubleshooting either is going to be a bitch, because they're mainly SS amps. reducing the number of preamp tubes doesn't make it easier to troubleshoot, it just means there's more stuff that's not user serviceable that can go wrong.

• Members

.related question: Does either pre or power tubes in the signal path responsible for more of the tube tone/characteristics such as feel, even order harmonics, etc.?

my understanding that that the feel is more based in the power tubes and the harmonics are more based in the pre-amp tubes. The more you turn the volume up on the tube amp the more touch sensitive it becomes, this is because you get the power tubes working. The harmonics tie in to both, but I believe them to be more of a pre-amp thing since those are the first ones in the path typically.

OP: Tube tones are absolutely a combination of both. Some can make any amp they play sound good, but the best sounding amps have always been tube amps to my ears. A buddy of mine used to play through an avt50 and he made that {censored} sound amazing. I'd jump on it and it would sound terrible. A lot of that tube tone we associate is a strong combo of both. Something like the avt50 would lose some of it's richness as I cranked the volume, however my peavey ultra would only get better.

Hopefully that helps answer some of the question

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
thanks for the reply rushtallica . . .

The only reason I ask is b/c I'm thinking of getting the Deuce amp, Peavey's are built like tanks, and having to only worry about one preamp tube to swap out will really simplifiy things when troubleshooting . . .

you said the Ampeg had just a single preamp tube, not the Peavey.

• Members
yeah, the ampeg had a single pre amp tube and no power tubes

the peavey had no pre amp tube and 4 power tubes (6L6)

But then you posted this, which contradicts. The only reason I ask is b/c I'm thinking of getting the Deuce amp, Peavey's are built like tanks, and having to only worry about one preamp tube to swap out will really simplifiy things when troubleshooting

Archived