Guitar Cabinet Features Poll

Seattle Doug

• Members

Yeah, dude, just a one-guy operation who works out of his garage here in Orlando. All you'll find is a facebook page.

Makes his living as a (furniture) cabinet maker, decided he'd like to make guitar cabs. Billy has the first 6x12 he ever made, then he made two for himself and mine shortly thereafter.

Oh - gotcha. Thanks. I remember there is another builder with some kind of internal baffle called an Aftershock so I thought maybe this was an offshoot.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eminence speakers are a plus, but just something that sounds good is the main thing. +1 to the simple line up, and a feature-laden one, which seems to be what Jet City's doing going by their website (unless the old non+ cabs are being phased out?).

Edit: Maybe I'm alone in this but I'd also like to see inset side-handles on the 2x12. Not really a fan of top carry handles, but that's a personal thing. I'm short, so top carry results in my ankles getting bashed up. :(

• Members

My favorite cab is the old Peavey vertical slant 2x12. The bottom speaker is fully sealed but top speaker has a removable back. Also can be run mono or stereo. Something like that with a choice of speakers would from JCA would be pretty awesome. But Doug has heard this from me before! :lol:

• Members

I want it to sound good first. Sound can be a bunch of factors though and could include quality speakers, construction, materials, etc. The open/closed option is nice and makes a great sounding cab more flexible.

I thought about doing that with one of my Avatar cabs. I was going to cut a piece to fill in the open back with quick detach levers so it could pop in or out quickly, but It was too much work and I sold the cab, but have thought about the idea for a while.

• Members

My favorite cab is the old Peavey vertical slant 2x12. The bottom speaker is fully sealed but top speaker has a removable back. Also can be run mono or stereo. Something like that with a choice of speakers would from JCA would be pretty awesome. But Doug has heard this from me before!
:lol:

Yeah, I have been thinking about a vertical for quite a while, and have announced the 24SV. It doesn't have those convertible or stereo features though - it's specifically paired to the JCA20HV, and has V30s in it. I could do that same cab for less though with the black grill and the Custom Eminence speakers, and the stereo jack, if that's of interest. Probably will avoid the convertible aspects though - I think this needs to be a solid back.

• Members

Yeah, I have been thinking about a vertical for quite a while, and have announced the 24SV. It doesn't have those convertible or stereo features though - it's specifically paired to the JCA20HV, and has V30s in it.
I could do that same cab for less though with the black grill and the Custom Eminence speakers, and the stereo jack, if that's of interest
. Probably will avoid the convertible aspects though - I think this needs to be a solid back.

YES. Check around here; whenever we discuss JCA cabs, this is EXACTLY what many of us want. I also really like your generic Eminence and the back panels are not a deal breaker.

• Members

Ever though of partitionning the inside of a 2x12 or 4x12 so each speaker has its own sealed chamber? Just a thought.. Mixing speakers with partitions offers a more present/cleaner low end.. It definitely shifts something in the tone, some hear it some not.

• Members

Eminence speakers are a plus, but just something that sounds good is the main thing. +1 to the simple line up, and a feature-laden one, which seems to be what Jet City's doing going by their website (unless the old non+ cabs are being phased out?).

Edit: Maybe I'm alone in this but I'd also like to see inset side-handles on the 2x12. Not really a fan of top carry handles, but that's a personal thing. I'm short, so top carry results in my ankles getting bashed up.
:(

Hey, thanks. I think you and I are in alignment, but with a small important difference. I think this poll and the FB poll are telling me the MicSim and tuned baffle are not important features to most. Plus, we still offer JetDirect as a standalone product. I'm thinking this turns into two ranges:

1. Original Series. Discontinue the + Series and revert to the cabs we had at launch. Convertible backs, Eminence.

2. Upgraded Series. Upgraded cabinetry. No 'bluesbreaker' style front. Side pocket handles. So very high quality and simple features.

What do you think?

• Members

Sealing is totally unnecessary.

I'd suggest a stupid-simple line of cabs & another series with features galore.

Both with high quality though.

Sealing being necessary? Of course not. Does it make sur eyour cab is in good shape and less permeable to moisture? YES! I sealed the inside of an old AB Custom with caulking and a little bracing andwished I had a spray polyurethane to just finish it off.

Is it redundant? Sure. Does it make a decent cab sound great? It did for me, but I play very loud and very hard, so it made perfect sense to me.

-Curtis

• Members

I'm surprised to see so many Emi fans in here...But if JCA cabs have always had Emi's it makes sense I suppose.

A good sounding cab is the ultimate factor IMO...And in my experience that never equals a cab with Emi's, lol.

Good casters on 4x12's is REALLY nice as well. Mesa's casters and plates are still tops IMO.

2" casters suck ass. 3" are much nicer.

• Members
Curtis - sealing, huh? Never considered it, actually. Do you think most would be able to hear the difference?

Sorry, missed this. But yes! For guys who play super loud and super hard like me, it's a benefit. If for nothing else, you can seal it and the wood starts to get harder, by proxy, (or poly ;)) but if you use a flex additive, it'll sink into all the cracks and flex with the product. This would provide an air tight box that seals up nicely when you close up the cab. Sort of like a frosted glass seal, just poly urethane inside a cab. I'm going to try this on a 212 when I sell off my gear and I'll let you know how it goes.

-Curtis

• Members

I'm surprised to see so many Emi fans in here...But if JCA cabs have always had Emi's it makes sense I suppose.

A good sounding cab is the ultimate factor IMO...And in my experience that never equals a cab with Emi's, lol.

Good casters on 4x12's is REALLY nice as well. Mesa's casters and plates are still tops IMO.

2" casters suck ass. 3" are much nicer.

Hey, thanks for this. Ok, I will look into casters for the 4x12s. Quick question: what's a 'plate'?

• Members

Hey, thanks for this. Ok, I will look into casters for the 4x12s. Quick question: what's a 'plate'?

Mesa casters are removable. They have a metal "plate" that the wheel assemblies lock into. I assume that is what he is talking about.

• Members

yeah, my Diezels have them as well, as does Line 6 cabs and a few others.

Plate mounts to the cab, caster slides into plate and locks. This way, the casters are easily removeable, but yet structurally stronger (IMHO) than typical recessed plates and pop in casters.

• Members

yeah, my Diezels have them as well, as does Line 6 cabs and a few others.

Plate mounts to the cab, caster slides into plate and locks. This way, the casters are easily removeable, but yet structurally stronger (IMHO) than typical recessed plates and pop in casters.

So much this. :thu:

• Members
FYI be careful with caulk seals...the offgassing can screw with speaker parts and glue.

This.

Paper cones can be infected with polyurethane fumes, coloring the tone or even making the paper brittle. Sealing the wood or cab with caulk or polyurethane requires a 48hr curing before installing speakers. Leaving it partially open back, (if possible,) while jamming for a couple weeks airs out the flex and contraction and gets out the bits of fumeage that would otherwise settle in and become potentially poisonous.

Just be careful air it out thoroughly and then jam the heck out of it. Worked for me :thu:

-Curtis

• Members
My favorite cab is the old Peavey vertical slant 2x12. The bottom speaker is fully sealed but top speaker has a removable back. Also can be run mono or stereo. Something like that with a choice of speakers would from JCA would be pretty awesome. But Doug has heard this from me before!
:lol:

I just bought one of these a few weeks ago. Good stuff.

100_1808.jpg

• Members
Yeah, I have been thinking about a vertical for quite a while, and have announced the 24SV. It doesn't have those convertible or stereo features though - it's specifically paired to the JCA20HV, and has V30s in it. I could do that same cab for less though with the black grill and the Custom Eminence speakers, and the stereo jack, if that's of interest. Probably will avoid the convertible aspects though - I think this needs to be a solid back.

:thu:

Archived