So far, no modeler, not even Kemper I think, can do what I hear here

Spizzledude

• Members

As much as some think I actually believe modelers are "there" as far as in the room amp tones are concerned, I really don't. Sometimes it is scary close and in a mix hard to tell but here with a raw Marshall JTM45 you can hear the diff clearly. I still think one day they will nail it and the Kemper is as close as I've ever heard but there is still something in that first clip that screams amp to me I don't hear elsewhere.

http://soundcloud.com/gasp100/jackdevine

Tried with my Axe II. Got tonally close but no where near the depth, clarity, punchiness, and realness of the clip. Maybe it can do it but not for me. I think most of the problem lies in the whole IR thing. As you change them you can really hear major differences.

I got this close before I got tired of it. I used the Princeton BTW:

http://soundcloud.com/zentman/jtm45-prince-2

Maybe that tone matching would get there and maybe not. We'll see. Saving this patch for the day it comes then gonna try and match the OP clip.

• Members

I think the Kemper could do it, it would literally have to be profiled by THAT dude though with his amp.. mic, pres, cab.:thu: Sounds sweeeeert too btw. I definitely have found lots of tones JUST like this on the Kemper. It totally excels at low gain and clean tones.:thu:

• Members

I love the digitalzz. Cool stuff and great for many things. I love amps for what they do too. Sound great and not as colored as my modelers or others including profiling. Kemper is a bit better though at getting a purer less colored or synthetic content, but isn't as dynamic as the real amp. Still, you get a lot of options a standard amp won't do. Kind of a sacrifice and a choice in the end. Best part is we have those choices.

• Members

I think it remains to be proven it isn't as dynamic as a real amp. Seriously.. The amount of clean headroom on the actual outputs is INSANE.. I think into a power amp you would be shocked how dynamic it is.

My lead player has Snax II and the KPA. Neither even through my Peavey 50/50, Mesa 50/50 or his VHT tube rack amp or QSC SS PA rack style amps have had much success in being like our head/cabs /combos.

They do sound great and offer a lot of options, just not enough to call them "amp like" ime. I love this stuff as much as anyone else, but I draw the line at comparisons. Recorded tone maybe, but not functional on a stage at stage levels. That's where its a different thing for both me and our lead player.

We're still seeing what next rounds of updates do for these, but tbh, I don't think we're going to see vast improvements in things.

Neither one of us are FRFR players. It just is not even close to using an amp on a stage. Waiting for Doug's teams at Jet City to make that modeling guitar cab. I like the direction modeling has gone, I just can't honestly shout from the rooftops its better than my amps.

These are awesome for recording, but when modeling software catches up with these units, just the convenience in the daw will do to those what computers did to multi-track gear.

• Members

Well one is a Slo the other is a Fractal. Two clips in one.
:)

Ah ok that makes it more clear, the 2nd part should be the copy or profile or wahtever. Sounds not too good.. a bit muffled, the start/end of chords sound funny.. the more I listen for it the worse it sounds.

• Members

Ah ok that makes it more clear, the 2nd part should be the copy or profile or wahtever. Sounds not too good.. a bit muffled, the start/end of chords sound funny

Thanks man. I'll listen tonight at home but I think that's what guys have been saying.

• Members

I listened to the clip of the JTM45 and yours. The snax is muffled in comparison. The eq's seem really different. The first one seems much more open and clear vs the snax, but I think it had more to do with the way you eq'd it. The snax has the blanket over the speaker sound when I listened on my headphones here at home.

• Members

I listened to the clip of the JTM45 and yours. The snax is muffled in comparison. The eq's seem really different. The first one seems much more open and clear vs the snax, but I think it had more to do with the way you eq'd it. The snax has the blanket over the speaker sound when I listened on my headphones here at home.

That's basically what I posted about the diff too. The funny thing is , while I was playing it it was bright. As soon as I recorded it and uploaded it to soundcloud it got mushy. Not that it was exact to start but it wasn't as bad. The real amp is just way more open.

• Members

Modulated undertones FTL.

I listened to both clips.

I liked the tone on the first clip regardless of what piece of gear made it.

I liked the tone on the second clip less.

It also seemed to be clipping or artifacty in the top end.

• Members

Sorry, but I have to chuckle. You're basically admitting the $2K amp modelers can't do the basic kick your ass low gain toneage. I remember when you unsuccessfully tried to cop my 67 Princeton Reverb. I agree with you that tone is really nice.

• Members

Sorry, but I have to chuckle. You're basically admitting the $2K amp modelers can't do the basic kick your ass low gain toneage. I remember when you unsuccessfully tried to cop my 67 Princeton Reverb. I agree with you that tone is really nice.

The real chuckle is that many thought my Princeton sounded better than your clip. :) That being said I sure as {censored} would rather gig with a snax than a Princeton and probably over the JTM45 as well. :) It's a trade off that most people can't hear but they can hear my stellar ass effects {censored} and the fact that I ain't a one trick pony.

Not being defensive as much as I am pointing out that other than us musico tone freak types nobody gives a {censored} if it's 100% like a 62 Fender or not. If it sounds good and the player emotes well, they love it.

I mean really, one of these is a SLO and the other a snax. I can hear the diff but do you think your crowd could tell?

http://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/slo_100_matched.mp3

• Members

The real chuckle is that many thought my Princeton sounded better than your clip.
That being said I sure as {censored} would rather gig with a snax than a Princeton and probably over the JTM45 as well.
It's a trade off that most people can't hear but they can hear my stellar ass effects {censored} and the fact that I ain't a one trick pony.

Yeah, I agree some thought it sounded better and I chuckled then too, but obviously it was worth your time, just like this thread.

I really don't care where toneage I like comes from. I just haven't heard many modeler's recorded without that plastic top end.

• Members

Yeah, I agree some thought it sounded better and I chuckled then too, but obviously it was worth your time, just like this thread.

I bore easily and this {censored} amuses me. I assume you're Keiffer right? Here's a clean I use live that out in the crowd sounds huge. Again, not a 62 Fender but again, nobody seems to give a {censored}. It actually doesn't even sound like a natural tube amp sound FWIW but it isn't unpleasant at all.:

http://soundcloud.com/zentman/hippie-days

• Members

Not being defensive as much as I am pointing out that other than us musico tone freak types nobody gives a {censored} if it's 100% like a 62 Fender or not. If it sounds good and the player emotes well, they love it.

That's very true. But it's the musician's job to care about things like that though. Not the audience.

Archived