Peavey Musician Series 300 head

theAntihero

• Members

A super old Peavey head popped up on my local craigslist and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

Im sure its not a gem but its cheap and has onboard fuzz and a phaser, surely some nasty odd tones can be coaxed out of them?

• Members

Hmm, my GoogleFu is slipping because i cant find the 300 series Musicians anywhere, could you post a link?

Ooooh. Wait. The manual on the Peavey site is just for "Musician" and it says 400 series. I don't know how similar the two are.

Also, I dunno, but does it have the footswitch? Sometimes all the cool effects and stuff were only footswitch accessible and getting one of those can cost as much as the amp. :lol:

• Members

Ooooh. Wait. The manual on the Peavey site is just for "Musician" and it says 400 series. I don't know how similar the two are.

From the pics ive seen, not at all.

This one has a 2nd totally independant channel with eq knobs etc that i havent seen before.

• Members

From the pics ive seen, not at all.

This one has a 2nd totally independant channel with eq knobs etc that i havent seen before.

Hmmm. A highly cursory search seems to show a bazillion variations of the musician head. :/

• Members

Hmmm. A highly cursory search seems to show a bazillion variations of the musician head. :/

Yeah thats what i turned up too, none of which look like the one im talking about.

This one doesnt come with a footswitch but it has switches for fuzz and phaser.

• Members

Yeah thats what i turned up too, none of which look like the one im talking about.

This one doesnt come with a footswitch but it has switches for fuzz and phaser.

An amp with a built in fuzz & phaser pedal sounds like all sounds of possibility for absolutely nasty and fun tones. :lol:

• Members

I do in fact speak/read the language known as HCAF where grammar and spelling are mere guidelines.

I emailed Peavey as well to see if they know whats up.

:lol: I sometimes reread my posts later and think "Shit, I don't remember typing that. Oh well, they knew what i meant."

Peavey's customer support is usually pretty good. You might try the forums there too. They aren't heavily populated, but some of the guys know quite a bit and may have some insight.

• Members

Did it have the odd independant 2nd channel and such?

Truth be told, he had the series 300 and another kid in town had the series 400. One of them had a single channel, while the other had dual channels that you could strap together -- but honestly I forget which had which? :(

• Members
A super old Peavey head popped up on my local craigslist and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

Im sure its not a gem but its cheap and has onboard fuzz and a phaser, surely some nasty odd tones can be coaxed out of them?

I thought they were 160 watts. Or was it 210 watts? Very rude sounding old amps.

• Members

Look for an Ultra for the same ballpark used price instead

If i could find an Ultra for $100 or trade for fx pedals i would buy that instead.

I thought they were 160 watts. Or was it 210 watts? Very rude sounding old amps.

I cant find much on the 300 series but those 2 figures seem to pop up the most, hopefully Peavey can tell me.

• Members

I used to sell these new. This is from 30 year old memories, so....

Two channels, both with pre/post gain, one with a saturation control. The phaser was only on one channel, IIRC, but you could either footswitch between them, or run them in parallel. The footswitch was on a DIN plug, if memory serves. 210 watts, loud and unkillable.

• Members

I used to sell these new. This is from 30 year old memories, so....

Two channels, both with pre/post gain, one with a saturation control. The phaser was only on one channel, IIRC, but you could either footswitch between them, or run them in parallel. The footswitch was on a DIN plug, if memory serves. 210 watts, loud and unkillable.

Cool, thanks for the info. Do you remember if the fuzz runs on both channels?

• Members

OK, I Googled some pics, no saturation, just pre/post gain.

f_65553641-b7f95f01.jpeg
f_65553641-07d03f3c.jpeg
f_65553641-6783ff46.jpeg

OP, i used to have one of these heads in the 80's! i'm glad 'flogger59' found pics of one.. i had looked before. anyway..i ran it into a peavey 4x12 with scorpion speakers and 2 18' cabs. was the loudest thing i have ever owned. s.p.l.'s were insane.

ran one of these into it (seymour duncan pickups)

4b2ce234.jpg

if i had a list of the top 5 most foolish things i have done in my life (and there are many)... selling that head

ig is on that list.

its a solid state head (more of a bass amp if memory serves) and i could have sworn it was 300w RMS. plenty of crunch, can get super clean, kick in the eq and its super huge (think 'And Justice for All' type stuff). i used to run an SD1 to tighten it up a bit...but i was playing mostly thrash metal at the time.

damn.. i hope you get it. if you used this with a 4x12 and some 18's ...it would be doom metal heaven if thats your thing.

Archived