Peavey Musician Series 300 head

theAntihero

• Members

OP, i used to have one of these heads in the 80's! i'm glad 'flogger59' found pics of one.. i had looked before. anyway..i ran it into a peavey 4x12 with scorpion speakers and 2 18' cabs. was the loudest thing i have ever owned. s.p.l.'s were insane.

ran one of these into it (seymour duncan pickups)

4b2ce234.jpg

if i had a list of the top 5 most foolish things i have done in my life (and there are many)... selling that head

ig is on that list.

its a solid state head (more of a bass amp if memory serves) and i could have sworn it was 300w RMS. plenty of crunch, can get super clean, kick in the eq and its super huge (think 'And Justice for All' type stuff). i used to run an SD1 to tighten it up a bit...but i was playing mostly thrash metal at the time.

damn.. i hope you get it. if you used this with a 4x12 and some 18's ...it would be doom metal heaven if thats your thing.

130w@8ohms, 210w@4ohms, 300w@2 ohms. With four cabs you were at 2 ohms. It must have gotten really hot.

• Members

Hmm, this one is a bit different, it looks like this:

peavey1.JPG

Good for doom makes me happy as well.

well..i can't offer an opinion on the amp you have pictured here as i have no experience with that one... i owned the style of the one flogger59 posted pics of above which looks to be a completly different beast ...and thats what my comments were based on.

sorry about that... i assumed you were talking about the style that flogger59 posted.

but who knows... this could give you some cool sounds...you just have to check it out i suppose.

good luck.

• Members

well..i can't offer an opinion on the amp you have pictured here as i have no experience with that one... i owned the style of the one flogger59 posted pics of above which looks to be a completly different beast ...and thats what my comments were based on.

sorry about that... i assumed you were talking about the style that flogger59 posted.

but who knows... this could give you some cool sounds...you just have to check it out i suppose.

good luck.

Not a problem, i personally cant find out anything on that particular amp. I can find lots on what you were talking about and lots on the 400 series, but nothing lke this.

Hell Peavey doesnt seem to have much info either.

• Members

Yeah, this really is the only possible option.

Im seriously considering it although used by Randy Rhodes isnt exactly a ringing endorsement as his tone reminds me of nails-on-chalkboard mixed with dial-up-modem.

Worst case scenario is i go and play it, projectile vomit, then flee the premises cursing Peavey's name.

• Members

If it's anything like the Musician 400. RUN.

I have one. It is stupid loud and sterile. Makes a decent PA/monitor amp. Does OK for bass, but I can't stand it for guitar.

But if you have the option to test it out. If it's cheap, it's always useful to have an all-purpose amp for whatever occasion arises.

• Members

If it's anything like the Musician 400. RUN.

I have one. It is stupid loud and sterile. Makes a decent PA/monitor amp. Does OK for bass, but I can't stand it for guitar.

But if you have the option to test it out. If it's cheap, it's always useful to have an all-purpose amp for whatever occasion arises.

If i can get one odd sound out of it for recording purposes it'll be worth it to me. Its also only a hundred bucks so its cheap enough not to need it to do much.

Archived