OT: Pancakes. What's your method?

Nazgul6

• Members

Ages ago I was in Cambridge and there was an American food stall. So I bought some hamburger helper ({censored} that {censored} is salty), vinalla coke and a few other bits. One of the bits was aunt jemima pancake mix. Got home and looked at how to make it and it said add milk and eggs. I thought to myself, if you add eggs and milk to flour you get pancake batter..... Holy {censored} someone is selling flour and calling it pancake mix!!!
So for months every time I went into the cupboard I would see it and laugh too myself "those {censored}ing dumb Americans"

Months later I decided to just make a batch as we wanted pancakes.

Then magic happened

None left

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Joy of Cooking recipe rocks IMO. 2 cups flour, 2 cups milk, one egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla (get the good stuff, people), 3 Tbs butter, 1/2 - 1 tsp baking powder. I like to mix in bananas, blueberries or strawberries. Sometimes cocoa powder and chocolate chips. But my wife & daughter like 'em plain so we usually have 'em plain :cry:

Mix the dry & wet ingredients separately. Interesting (above) about separating the egg... have to try that.

• Members
Joy of Cooking recipe rocks IMO. 2 cups flour, 2 cups milk, one egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla (get the good stuff, people), 3 Tbs butter, 1/2 - 1 tsp baking powder. I like to mix in bananas, blueberries or strawberries. Sometimes cocoa powder and chocolate chips. But my wife & daughter like 'em plain so we usually have 'em plain
:cry:

Mix the dry & wet ingredients separately. Interesting (above) about separating the egg... have to try that.

that recipe is missing salt, an important ingredient., but its the same basic recipe I use give or take.

• Members

- buy good baking powder, and don't use old stuff, it's cheap, 6 months tops.

- melt a little butter and light brown sugar or honey, yeah it needs it, set aside to cool

- a cup of each white, wheat flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, pinch of salt in bowl, wisk around well to mix, set aside

- wisk 2 eggs, add melted yet cooled butter mix, add 1+1/4 cup milk, add tablespoon good vanilla extract.

- add wet to dry mix, stir with a spoon until just combined, do not over mix, too dry add a little water.

- make pancakes over medium/medium high heat, in between, and do not use too much oil/butter, you want to cook, not fry.

- only real maple syrup is acceptable.

• Members

What's the reasoning behind it?

try it and you'll see how they mix, whites and milk wont mix together, but whites and yolks mix well, same goes for the whites and butter. its just about making a homogenous mixture. because the stirring process after adding the dry and wet together would take too long to incorporate everything together if they werent already mixed well. And then you are developing too much gluten in the batter. Gluten starts to develop as soon as the wet is added to the dry, this is why you see "dont stir too much" Basically, I follow a rule of not stirring more than 10 times.

• Members
- buy good baking powder, and don't use old stuff, it's cheap, 6 months tops.

- melt a little butter and light brown sugar or honey, yeah it needs it, set aside to cool

- a cup of each white, wheat flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, pinch of salt in bowl, wisk around well to mix, set aside

- wisk 2 eggs, add melted yet cooled butter mix, add 1+1/4 cup milk, add tablespoon good vanilla extract.

- add wet to dry mix, stir with a spoon until just combined, do not over mix, too dry add a little water.

- make pancakes over medium/medium high heat, in between, and do not use too much oil/butter, you want to cook, not fry.

- only real maple syrup is acceptable.

I agree with "most" of this. :)

• Members

try it and you'll see how they mix, whites and milk wont mix together, but whites and yolks mix well, same goes for the whites and butter. its just about making a homogenous mixture. because the stirring process after adding the dry and wet together would take too long to incorporate everything together if they werent already mixed well. And then you are developing too much gluten in the batter. Gluten starts to develop as soon as the wet is added to the dry, this is why you see "dont stir too much" Basically, I follow a rule of not stirring more than 10 times.

sehr interessant

• Members

In my view, pancakes exist specifically as a maple syrup delivery system. So, as long as the maple syrup is REAL maple syrup (preferably from Vermont, though you take what you can get), I don't care too much.

If you can manage it, the best maple syrup for pancakes is the thin, not-fully-boiled-off stuff. But you pretty much either have to tap your own trees, or have a friend who does, to get it.

• Members

I'm digging Pannekoeks more lately. As they dont leave me feeling as heavy, and they seem to handle a vast array of ingredients better. Plus I've got a bitchin batter recipe down pat. There are two pans I use, non-stick and a Pannekoek non stick (has no curve, relatively flat pan with a small lip at the edge to keep batter in) so it's a toss up between those two but either one always gets a plop of margerine for the first cakes. No margerine on second flip, serve with sausages, not bacon.

Popular combos: Bacon Cheddar, Bacon Raisin Cheddar, Bacon Raisin Cinnamon, Banana(chopped very thin) Nutella, blueberry choco chip (or peanut butter chip, or butterscotch chip). I love Pannekoeks man. I {censored}in' love Pannekoeks.

• Members

I'm digging Pannekoeks more lately. As they dont leave me feeling as heavy, and they seem to handle a vast array of ingredients better. Plus I've got a bitchin batter recipe down pat. There are two pans I use, non-stick and a Pannekoek non stick (has no curve, relatively flat pan with a small lip at the edge to keep batter in) so it's a toss up between those two but either one always gets a plop of margerine for the first cakes. No margerine on second flip, serve with sausages, not bacon.

Popular combos: Bacon Cheddar, Bacon Raisin Cheddar, Bacon Raisin Cinnamon, Banana(chopped very thin) Nutella, blueberry choco chip (or peanut butter chip, or butterscotch chip). I love Pannekoeks man. I {censored}in' love Pannekoeks.

How are you flipping a pannekoeken??

we must be making them quite differently, mine are baked in a cast iron skillet.

• Members

Mix dry:
1/2 cup ground Old Fashioned Quaker Oats (must be Old Fashioned kind)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
25 grams protein powder (Genisoy, e.g.)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Blend in blender:
1 cup skim or 1% milk
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1 tablespoon canola oil (or equivalent)
2 eggs
4 egg whites

Combine wet and dry mixes and fold in:
1 cup wild blueberries (Canned wild blueberries are hard to find; frozen wild blueberries are more available and work well. Rinse before adding.)
1/3 cup pecan pieces (Finely chop after measuring, but not too fine.)

Order of operations:
1. Grind the oats in a blender, then dump that into a mixing bowl. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
2. Put the blender ingredients in the blender and blend only as long as necessary to mix the ingredients.
3. Add the blender ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix briefly.
4. Fold in the chopped pecans and rinsed blueberries and mix together.
5. Cook

• Members

Mix dry:

1/2 cup ground Old Fashioned Quaker Oats (must be Old Fashioned kind)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

25 grams protein powder (Genisoy, e.g.)

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Blend in blender:

1 cup skim or 1% milk

1 cup nonfat cottage cheese

1 tablespoon canola oil (or equivalent)

2 eggs

4 egg whites

Combine wet and dry mixes and fold in:

1 cup wild blueberries (Canned wild blueberries are hard to find; frozen wild blueberries are more available and work well. Rinse before adding.)

1/3 cup pecan pieces (Finely chop after measuring, but not too fine.)

Order of operations:

1. Grind the oats in a blender, then dump that into a mixing bowl. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.

2. Put the blender ingredients in the blender and blend only as long as necessary to mix the ingredients.

3. Add the blender ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix briefly.

4. Fold in the chopped pecans and rinsed blueberries and mix together.

5. Cook

Archived