Firearm fans thread? Let's try this out.

soilent

• Members

^that was the mantra, right? You have a second, tend to it! "Jeez, I got 14 seconds to do nothing..." DEREK work on that rifle would just fill the air from nowhere!

The piston designs now, that's where I think we'll see all go. From my experience with the 556 & 516 from Sig, they are crazily accurate and work like a dream w/o a thought of care. That 716 will be mine sooner or later.

Derek

I got burned out on weapons cleaning as a SAW gunner. I'd blow through a couple thousand rounds a day on a typical range and the inside of that thing would just look like {censored}. After getting rid of the SAW the worst thing was rust. Lots of places I went were hot and humid and {censored} would rust.

It's funny how fanatical about weapons cleaning the Military can be. We mostly slept during down time but we had this one Plt. Sgt. who was a total suck dick and rather than catch some ZZZ's he'd have us doing stupid make-work crap. Someone finally clued him in that everyone in the platoon hated his ass and that we all had guns and live ammo. He chilled out after that.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just picked up a Trijicon TR24 scope for my AR-15.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs5EalYtCa4IanPC11kFx

It's got the red triangle reticule.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu4WyfzcVp3O3JfdX1lUE

I really like this scope so far from just playing around with it. I need to get out and sight it in and do some shooting with it. We'll see how it compares with the aimpoint. I like the variable zoom. Nice clear glass. I also got the "cat-tail" for fast magnification changes.

• Members

I just picked up a Trijicon TR24 scope for my AR-15.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs5EalYtCa4IanPC11kFx

It's got the red triangle reticule.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu4WyfzcVp3O3JfdX1lUE

I really like this scope so far from just playing around with it. I need to get out and sight it in and do some shooting with it. We'll see how it compares with the aimpoint. I like the variable zoom. Nice clear glass. I also got the "cat-tail" for fast magnification changes.

That's pure sex... I love my Aimpoint but I've always wanted to try out the Trijicon stuff.

• Members

That's pure sex... I love my Aimpoint but I've always wanted to try out the Trijicon stuff.

I've got an Aimpoint micro with a larue high mount to compare. The aimpoint is hands down lighter and quick at close range. The trijicon seems pretty quick just shouldering and putting the reticule on target at 1x. At 4x there is no contest. The Trijicon makes things really easy to see at 100 yds vs the aimpoint. I get a little reticule bloom with the aimpoint but the triangle stays nice as sharp at all times. The triangle does wash out a bit when you're in the dark shooting at a brightly lit area. I don't have the larue mount pictured for the Trijicon, I have the American Defense recon. I mounted it backwards to give me the ability to use it on my remington hunting rifle as well. It will see use on my .22 upper, BCM upper, and hunting rifle. Can't wait to try it out.

For everything from 0 to 300 yards, it should work really well.

• Members

I've got an Aimpoint micro with a larue high mount to compare. The aimpoint is hands down lighter and quick at close range. The trijicon seems pretty quick just shouldering and putting the reticule on target at 1x. At 4x there is no contest. The Trijicon makes things really easy to see at 100 yds vs the aimpoint. I get a little reticule bloom with the aimpoint but the triangle stays nice as sharp at all times. The triangle does wash out a bit when you're in the dark shooting at a brightly lit area. I don't have the larue mount pictured for the Trijicon, I have the American Defense recon. I mounted it backwards to give me the ability to use it on my remington hunting rifle as well. It will see use on my .22 upper, BCM upper, and hunting rifle. Can't wait to try it out.

For everything from 0 to 300 yards, it should work really well.

I'm gonna do some sort of nice fixed power tactical scope with a Larue mount on my Ruger Scout rifle. I used to ding moving targets at 400m no prob with my aimpoint or irons so I can shoot pretty well at extended ranges with the aimpoint but obviously were I hunting I'd want something a bit more precision oriented.

• Members

Well it looks like the bushnell sight I ordered from amazon is out of stock and NO ONE has it. Not even midway. So I opted for the Burris Fast Fire II instead. I can't find anything online indicating the newest version is worth $100 more than the II version. So I got that and the Streamlight TLR-1S to mount onto the lower front rail of my mossberg. That's been the number one thing I've been wanting for that gun as it's my primary home defense weapon.

• Members

You're right, the Russian surplus ammo is corrosive, but I do clean and maintain my firearms, so that shouldn't be too much of a issue right? Also, I pretty much get all my guns and ammo online, so finding it isn't a problem. I will look into the AK-74 though.

Is corrosive ammo really a problem with today's chrome lined barrels and chambers?

• Members

The classic there! If weight isn't a concern, 7.62x51 is a no brainer! That Sig 716 will be mine!

If you're lugging a lot of rounds, that old saying ounces equal pounds & pounds equal pain rings true. That's always been the weakness of 7.62x51 as compared to 5.56. That's why I like the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC rounds, nearly the range of the 7.62x51 w/o the negatives.

Derek

• Members

Is corrosive ammo really a problem with today's chrome lined barrels and chambers?

Honestly, I don't know. I don't really have experience with it, but the 5.45x39 ammo is just so damn cheap. I guess I'm willing to take the chance.

• Members

Anybody own a new-ish Remy 700?

For a first hunting rifle, looking at that or the Tikka T3. Tikka gets better reviews, but getting parts sucks up here, and the 700 can be modified to hell and back.

• Members

Anybody own a new-ish Remy 700?

For a first hunting rifle, looking at that or the Tikka T3. Tikka gets better reviews, but getting parts sucks up here, and the 700 can be modified to hell and back.

I have one that is about 14 years old. What mods do you want to do to it?

11-02-08_1844.jpg

• Members

Finished up my mossberg 590.

Burris fastfire II red dot, Streamlite TLR-1s and cheek riser/shell holder for the knoxx recoil absorbing stock.

YfnzF.jpg

wukU3.jpg

Also, this is my next firearm purchase (whenever that time comes around). About $650 for a solid no frills AR15. Nutnfancy was raving over it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

• Members
Finished up my mossberg 590.

Burris fastfire II red dot, Streamlite TLR-1s and cheek riser/shell holder for the knoxx recoil absorbing stock.

YfnzF.jpg

wukU3.jpg

Also, this is my next firearm purchase (whenever that time comes around). About $650 for a solid no frills AR15. Nutnfancy was raving over it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Man, that's a lot of stuff on there. You gunna put all those gadgets on the no frills AR 15 too?

Btw, can you post the nutnfancy link? I want to check that out.

• Members

Man, that's a lot of stuff on there. You gunna put all those gadgets on the no frills AR 15 too?

Btw, can you post the nutnfancy link? I want to check that out.

No I think the most I'd do to the AR is a decent optics and possibly a front grip. Nothing crazy. I didn't want to take the mossberg any further either. I've seen some crazy "zombie killer" mossbergs and remingtons with scopes and {censored} but the bead sight sucks and I wanted a light for home defense and the only way to get it mounted was a rail. I didn't want it to be much heavier than it already was and as is, it feels very similar in weight but a lot more comfortable to hold vs the traditional butt stock it came with.

If anything, whenever I get the AR, I may pull the magpul iron sight off and put that on the mossberg and put the burris red dot on the AR and call it a day. I know for a gun that probably will not get a ton of time at the range, it's an expensive sight but I didn't want to get something cheap that would fall apart after the first shot or couldn't hold zero.

Here's the M&P 15 vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YdpE6Lpw9E

• Members

If anything, whenever I get the AR, I may pull the magpul iron sight off and put that on the mossberg and put the burris red dot on the AR and call it a day.

That's a good idea. Thanks for the link. I've been thinking about the Sport since I first heard about it.

Archived