A friend of mine is looking for a small amp to run a violin through . . .

Legal Fingers

• Members

Ouch man! Whatever you get, it'll probably have digital reverb and you'll probably end up with a solidstate amp (unfortunately)

To get a GOOD warm tube amp with good spring reverb for under 300 is really rough!

You want a large reverb tank which I believe runs about 17" long... This is why you're probably stuck with a digital reverb. And stellar reverb ain't cheap :(

Also, you want the amp to be set up for acoustic guitars otherwise it can sound thin...

Anyway, those are some things to keep in mind on your search.

Wish I could be more helpful

• Members

Ouch man! Whatever you get, it'll probably have digital reverb and you'll probably end up with a solidstate amp (unfortunately)

To get a GOOD warm tube amp with good spring reverb for under 300 is really rough!

You want a large reverb tank which I believe runs about 17" long... This is why you're probably stuck with a digital reverb. And stellar reverb ain't cheap
:(
Also, you want the amp to be set up for acoustic guitars otherwise it can sound thin...

Anyway, those are some things to keep in mind on your search.

Wish I could be more helpful

No, that's super helpful! I don't play acoustic instruments, so I'm completely useless to her. I said I'd check online and see what I come up with. I really doubt her teacher's salary is going to let her go past $400, but if nothing else she can borrow my Hot Rod Deville and it'll be better than her Crate practice amp.

Thanks!

• Members

my friend uses a solid state Fender Deluxe 85, the red knob Radiohead amp. he uses it for guitar and violin. sounds good to me, you can buy those amps for about $150.00, I'd buy a Boss RV-5 reverb pedal for between $80.00-$100.00. Roland Cube amps are cool, there's lots of options, forget about tube snobbery.

• Members

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0231502000

fender frontman 25r. solid state, great spring verb. very usable eq, long throw 10" in it. runs like $100, and it's pretty loud for a little thing. if you're pushing no bass, like a violin probably would-- it should be silly loud.

if you need a LOT of volume-- they make a 100w 212 version of it, and it's still in your budget at $299.

don't believe you necessarily need tubes--- both of these are decent sounding amps for clean use, and the dirts not all that bad for guitar either.

• Members

fender excelsior?

Most violin players (well, fiddle at least) I know use an old peavey solid state amp of some type.

This here. My Studio Pro 112 sounds awesome with the fiddle. And my violin is a steaming pile of crap. A good instrument through it would probably sound spectacular. Clean channel is nice and clear, and the drive side can get real raunchy. Spring reverb too. So my vote would be Bandit or Studio Pro. You can find them under $100 if you look around a bit. Guitar Center used site usually has a couple in that price range.

The bonus is those amps are so open you can run about anything through them. I've used them for bass, guitar, violin, and keys too.

• Members

There's also the possibility of a smaller bass combo. Some of those are loud as can be, and work really well if you want a full-spectrum type of sound instead of a mid-focused sound like a guitar amp will do. Some of those 12" bass combos are pretty small and can still sound huge. Most of them don't have reverb though.

Archived