The Avengers is Epic Win-Sauce!!!

Oblivion DC

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyhow, I saw it twice.

I'm a comic fan - and seeing this movie I was half mast the entire time.

Literally, a big {censored} eating grin on my face from the second Captain America came on screen until it ended. Plenty of action, not too cheesy, lots of humor, and it avoided being confusing without dumbing things down too much. Very well handled, immensely excited for the universe to grow with the possible addition of Spiderman (XMen reboot in the works?) and sequels.

• Members

I don't think X-men needs a reboot... they just need to pick up where they left off BEFORE First Class and go ahead with the Pheonix Saga... I think the cast was pretty solid in the X-men movies... to me the worst of them all was the First Class

• Members

I don't think X-men needs a reboot... they just need to pick up where they left off BEFORE First Class and go ahead with the Pheonix Saga... I think the cast was pretty solid in the X-men movies... to me the worst of them all was the First Class

I vehemently disagree. I'm a huge Xmen fan, and I really dislike the movies.

The cast was pretty good visually, but the acting was too 'cool', distant, and butchered a lot of the source material. There was next to no character development.

Not to mention it wasn't an Xmen movie, it was Wolverine & Friends. Which is fine for future installments, but very short-sighted of them to not try and develop the 'original' cast.

• Members

I vehemently disagree. I'm a huge Xmen fan, and I really dislike the movies.

The cast was pretty good visually, but the acting was too 'cool', distant, and butchered a lot of the source material. There was next to no character development.

Not to mention it wasn't an Xmen movie, it was Wolverine & Friends. Which is fine for future installments, but very short-sighted of them to not try and develop the 'original' cast.

I'm not even a huge Xmen fan and I didn't care for the movies. I watched the cartoon in the 90s a ton, so that's what I know of Xmen. The first one pissed me off cause they made Magneto a big {censored}. I don't remember then 2nd one much, except I vaguely remember being entertained a bit and that's it.

I haven't watched any of the others. Heard Wolverine totally sucked except for the opening montage and First Class looked mildly interesting but not really all that grabbing.

I don't know if it needs a reboot or not, but I would've thought it would've been pretty easy to make a better Xmen movie, but apparently not.

• Members

I'd agree they butched a lot of the source material but...not nearly half as bad as they did in First Class... to me what REALLY sucked about First Class was that it was a GREAT movie...but... just wasn't an X-Men movie IMO.. they changed SO much about the X-men in it... the others they moved some stuff around to avoid deep explinations etc, which I can appreciate and understand.... As for the Wolverine and Friends deal.... I'd say from part 2 was like that.... I watched the first one this weekend and I dug it... the problem is, Wolverine is such a bad ass no matter what you do he WILL take the spot light, I wasn't BIG in to the comics BUT to me when ever I read a story with him in it he was the one kicking asses and taking names...

• Members

I'd agree they butched a lot of the source material but...not nearly half as bad as they did in First Class... to me what REALLY sucked about First Class was that it was a GREAT movie...but... just wasn't an X-Men movie IMO.. they changed SO much about the X-men in it... the others they moved some stuff around to avoid deep explinations etc, which I can appreciate and understand.... As for the Wolverine and Friends deal.... I'd say from part 2 was like that.... I watched the first one this weekend and I dug it... the problem is, Wolverine is such a bad ass no matter what you do he WILL take the spot light, I wasn't BIG in to the comics BUT to me when ever I read a story with him in it he was the one kicking asses and taking names...

Well, its also cause Cyclops is pretty much written as a stick-up-the-ass {censored} in my limited experiences. Wolverine is about 100x cooler just going by badass mojo alone. :lol:

• Members
Well, its also cause Cyclops is pretty much written as a stick-up-the-ass {censored} in my limited experiences. Wolverine is about 100x cooler just going by badass mojo alone.
:lol:

Read some of the newer comic stuff - Cyclops is pretty bamf. They started giving him more of a personality.

• Members

I thought Bryan Singer's first 2 x men movies were outstanding. Then again I think that if hey'd have just edited down Superman Returns it was a pretty great movie. X-Men First Class is a step in the RIGHT direction for the x-men movies but I don't know that they can salvage the damage done by the 3rd movie. Also, X-Men Origins: Wolverine should've just been called "Hugh Jackman takes his shirt off, flexes and yells a lot" because that seemed to be the only really quality plot point.

• Members

I thought Bryan Singer's first 2 x men movies were outstanding. Then again I think that if hey'd have just edited down Superman Returns it was a pretty great movie. X-Men First Class is a step in the RIGHT direction for the x-men movies but I don't know that they can salvage the damage done by the 3rd movie. Also, X-Men Origins: Wolverine should've just been called "Hugh Jackman takes his shirt off, flexes and yells a lot" because that seemed to be the only really quality plot point.

But Gambit and Deadpool-zombie?!

• Members

Xmen reboot would be great. Maybe this time we get a short Wolverine and the full on Pheonix/ Dark Pheonix saga. I want to see her consume a star and finish off with a battle on the dark side of the moon. I'd love to see the Byrne/Clairmont/Austin era group focused on.

• Members

Xmen reboot would be great. Maybe this time we get a short Wolverine and the full on Pheonix/ Dark Pheonix saga. I want to see her consume a star and finish off with a battle on the dark side of the moon. I'd love to see the Byrne/Clairmont/Austin era group focused on.

I think if they took an Ultimate Universe spin on the Xmen it would be much easier to tell their story. They pretty much combined the best of the traditional Marvel universe and Ultimate for the Avengers - I see no reason they can't do the same with Xmen.

• Members

Given that movies rarely capture the comic format magic well, I thought the X-Men movies were pretty good, though the 3rd wasn't as good and I think the way Prof X got thrashed in that movie was a major mistake.

I also liked the First Class movie.

I watched the cartoon in the 90s a ton, so that's what I know of Xmen.

I dig them and have some of the DVDs. :phil:

Anyway, I remember the original TV Spider-Man movie and can definitely say that although the comic movies are annoying for some people and for the more hardcore comic fans who want things to stay very close to the source material, comic movies have come a very long way from where they used to be. :D

• Members

I'd be happy with Joss Whedon doing his Amazing X-men (or was it astonishing x-men...anyway) as a movie. Since we're talking specifics and all. Kitty Pryde FTW!

I have his X-Men graphic novel (Astonishing X-Men: Gifted) and need to read it. But I'll probably end up catching that Avengers movie first. :D

• Members

I have his X-Men graphic novel and need to read it. But I'll probably end up catching that Avengers movie first.
:D

DOOO EEET! Wifey and I might actually catch it again next weekend just to enjoy it on the big screen again and see what little stuff we missed the first time. Depends on how cheap I'm feeling. :lol:

• Members

I dunno.. I think in the end there are more intersting comic book series out there than X-Men that they could bring to the big screen... I would stay away from teams because there are too many characters to develop, to me the only reason Avengers probably worked as a team was because all the characters had their own movies before so you knew each one individually so the team was just like a super mash up and they didn't have to spend time going in to each person's history..(of course I'm just guessing here since I haven't seen it yet, but for those who have seen it can you imagine it being as great if there were no Iron Man, Capt. American and Thor movies??) and even so each of the Avengers are proven awesome heros that can stand on their own so maybe X-men was lame because the team members can't really stand on their own.. who wants to see a Cyclops movie??

• Members
I dunno.. I think in the end there are more intersting comic book series out there than X-Men that they could bring to the big screen... I would stay away from teams because there are too many characters to develop, to me the only reason Avengers probably worked as a team was because all the characters had their own movies before so you knew each one individually so the team was just like a super mash up and they didn't have to spend time going in to each person's history..(of course I'm just guessing here since I haven't seen it yet, but for those who have seen it can you imagine it being as great if there were no Iron Man, Capt. American and Thor movies??) and even so each of the Avengers are proven awesome heros that can stand on their own so maybe X-men was lame because the team members can't really stand on their own.. who wants to see a Cyclops movie??

This is exactly why they're weak movies. But they can still be made into a good product - you just need the right people in development.

On a side note - there are 2 things I didn't like about the Avengers.

1) Thor should have destroyed Iron Man in their little wrestling match.

2) Captain America didn't get enough screen time :nohomo: :love:

• Members

For what they did to Silver Surfer and Galactus, the only way to salvage the X-Men in my book is with a full-on reboot with Joss at the helm.

That {censored} was unforgivable.

The only thing watchable about those insipid FF movies was Jessica Alba.

• Members

DOOO EEET! Wifey and I might actually catch it again next weekend just to enjoy it on the big screen again and see what little stuff we missed the first time. Depends on how cheap I'm feeling.

:D

I want the wife to come along, but I'll go alone if I must. :D

• Members

On a side note - there are 2 things I didn't like about the Avengers.

1) Thor should have destroyed Iron Man in their little wrestling match.

2) Captain America didn't get enough screen time :nohomo:
:love:

When I saw the trailer showing Iron Man and Thor fighting I thought the samething... I don't care WHAT Tony Stark makes his suit out of, there's no way it should survive a blow from Thor's Hammer.... that goes for Capt. America's shield too... as for Capt's screen time... can't really comment till later..

Archived